Do you cancel/change plans so you can workout?

Boybert

Cathlete
I guess this goes along with the obsessed thread (maybe a follow-up), but I was curious how many of you and how often this happens. Just interested in trends I guess :)

I try not to miss my workout when scheduled, otherwise I feel really yucky all day. However, if it is something I have to do, than well, it gets done and I fit in working out when I can. I mean I'm not psycho about it but I try my darndest not to interfere w/ my workout.

I have moved plans around with friends so I can get my time in when I need to. Most people I know closely understand that, but I wonder if people think I'm nuts? I haven't lost any friends yet. I would hope I wouldn't let it get to that point but darn this stuff is so addicting :7

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

Well, I'm driving to Napa on Saturday to see a friend I haven't seen in 20 years. I told her I'd meet her at noon so I could get in a workout. Of course, I'll spend the entire day with her, but still, we could have met for breakfast...

But, normally, if I just cannot fit in a workout, I'll let it go. I might feel icky and fat the entire day, but I'll let it go. LOL.

I have changed plans, and skipped going somewhere (not really important things) to work out for the 2nd time that day. Oh yes I am obsessed.LOL I like to workout in the morning so I usually don't have to deal with that. But on the weekend sometimes I'll end up skipping. Unhappily that is. :7

Kali

www.PictureTrail.com/kkali

I have a few times but usually stuff that can easily be rescheduled. But then I work 6 days a week at a gym, so as long as I get a few minutes between each client I can pretty much get my workout in that day.

Kit

I don't cancel plans, but I have been know to do a workout at 10:00 p.m. in order to get it in. Or, I will get up at 5:00 and do one if I can't do it during the day. I think that is good though. We know how we feel after a workout and I feel great and I want that feeling everyday. Nothing else in my life gives me that feeling. My friends do tend to roll there eyes a bit when I tell them that I mustalways get my workout it in, but they know that is just who I am. Sometimes it is definitely stressful though trying to fit it in.:)

Susan

I work out in the mornings too, so conflicts usually aren't a problem. If I do have an early morning appointment, then I just plan my rest day for the day of the appointment.

Tammy

I don't cancel plans, but I may try to plan them so I can still get my workout in. I work out at night, after my daughter goes to sleep, so usually she is my excuse to get home and then I workout afterwards.

Yes, I'm guilty of this. Actually, I just don't make plans in the first place.

I hate missing workouts. I'm workin' on 27 days with no rest day right now. That's probably not good. But the alternative just doesn't bear thinking about. Yes, it's an illness. I realize that. I'm better than I used to be.:p

I have purposely scheduled plans with friends/family so that I have time to do my work outs also but if something is happening at a time where a work out just won't be possible then I deal. I know I'm not gonna gain 5 pounds or suddenly lose all of my muscle tone from one missed work out :p and at times I have also been known to do extra the next day or not take my rest day to make up for it anyway! :+

I'm right there with you Shelly - and, yes Debbie, I've absolutely cancelled or rescheduled events to get in a workout. And there are times when I set that alarm for 4:30 or 5:00 am to get in a workout. DH gets all "excited" thinking he's my workout, only to hear "sorry honey, I've gotta go do SJ&P". And most of my friends know that I get very upset - with myself - if I don't workout. I also just went about 4 weeks without a rest day - know that's not good. But I took one on Tuesday and felt "off" the whole day. It IS an illness, but I can't stand the alternative either. Guess we are obsessed huh?

Lorrie

I used to let my workouts rule my life. I would either not meet friends or workout early so I could see them.

But you can't live your life like that. It is as obsessive as an eating disorder is. If you cannot forgo your workout for a day or two in order to pursue social relationships, then you have a serious problem with priorities. When you quit this world, you will not be remembered for the steeliness of your muscles, but for the love you gave and received, and part of love is giving time and sometimes making sacrifices.

So, I no longer let my desire to exercise dictate any aspect of my life. Often the needs of the kids must come first, or professional obligations, or friends/family are over and it would not be seemly to abandon them to go see Cathe. I may miss several workout days per week, but I am a more balanced person for it.

I am not "preaching" to anyone, just learning from my own past foolishness. You will all do as you see fit.

Clare

You can still take a fast walk on your "rest" day. I do that - I started wearing a pedometer everyday and make an effort to get in 10,000 steps even on a "rest" day, so I take an hour walk on Sunday mornings. "Resting" does not have to mean flat on your back watching TV from the couch! You're setting yourself up for burn-out, big time.
Just Do It! :)

My workouts are important enough to me that I make them a priority in my schedule. However, as I said in the obsession thread, if something really fun or important comes up, I forego the workout. I am no less fit because I miss a few workouts here and there.

thanks for all the great responses, ladies! It's just nice to know that my virtual fitness friends understand this kind of thinking :) I used to be way worse about missing workouts but have really tried to balance things over the years. My toddler has made sure of that LOL!

"you miss 100% of the shots you never take"

Debbie

I workout first thing in the morning so rarely does anything conflict with not getting my workout in. If it does, I skip the workout. Like Clare said, my relationship with my family come first :)

When I go on vacation, I take that opportunity for some rest time. I usually have better performance when I start up again :)

CLARE,

I absolutely agree with you!! I always try to get in my workout but if a friends calls me to do something and I might have to move the workout I am not going to miss what might be a life long memory for a workout that could happen the next day and the world would not stop spinning.

kim

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.