Do Periods Get More Intense Before Menopause?

sparrow13

Cathlete
I've got to ask because for most of my life my period was no big deal but for the last six months or so it's been awful. I don't sleep the week before, I get blazing headaches (that's been for a couple of years) my skin goes bananas and my mood hits the dirt. I'm the snarling beast from hell right now AAMOF. Poor DH, I've been trying to pick a fight with him all day but he's crafty and on to me and being extra-sweet and patient (don't ya hate that? :p). I'll be 40 next month and am wondering if the shift in period intensity has to do with menopause coming on maybe. Or maybe I'm just turning into a crabby "b". :D

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Well, to be honest, I'm not sure that is has anything to do with menopause, because....

My mother has a lot of your sypmtoms too (she's 44) and on top of that she seems to have this weird ovary pain. She thought she was going into menopause as well. She went to the doc and they could NOT FIND ANYTHING to support the whole menopause thing.

I know I'm too young to go through menopause but I thought the experience my mother is going through might help.

I'd would see the doc, could be something else. Don't be scared! Sorry, Im' not trying to scare ya! :eek:;)

I started going batty around 42ish. Huge mood swings, acne, ovarian cysts, night sweats. My periods would range from spotting to near hemorrhaging.

I still have bad mood swings some months and I never know how light/heavy my monthly gift will be. I'm hoping I'll be done with it soon.

I've got to ask because for most of my life my period was no big deal but for the last six months or so it's been awful. I don't sleep the week before, I get blazing headaches (that's been for a couple of years) my skin goes bananas and my mood hits the dirt. I'm the snarling beast from hell right now AAMOF. Poor DH, I've been trying to pick a fight with him all day but he's crafty and on to me and being extra-sweet and patient (don't ya hate that? :p). I'll be 40 next month and am wondering if the shift in period intensity has to do with menopause coming on maybe. Or maybe I'm just turning into a crabby "b". :D

Thoughts?

It could be symptoms of perimenopause, but of course you should talk to your doc.

good question.....I've been wondering that myself.....

I'm nearly 49 and have noticed that my periods are more intense: heavier, cramp, irregular, lasting much longer. I never had these complaints in my younger years. Perimeno I guess.

IMO, they can do anything!

I used to be optimistic and think that "irregular" meant "less frequent, spotty," but I started having periods closer together (every 14-18 days rather than the regular 28 days). Then after about a year, I started skipping periods (1-4 months at a time without one, then one would show up again).

Then several months ago, I had spotting over the course of 3+ weeks (!) that was equal (in total) to about a regular period. Before and since then, I've just had some slight spotting (hardly noticeable until I wipe). I might be done, but I'm never sure!

As for other symptoms: I'm not having a lot (one benefit of not getting any outside hormones in my body). A few hot nights (though I can't tell if it's meno related or just my choosing too-warm clothes to sleep in), some infrequent insomnia (again, can't tell if it's meno related).

(Just hope I'm not jinxing myself, and start having meno symptoms from hell this next month).

I highly recommend that you read "What you doctor will not tell you about premenopause" by dr Lee.

Sparrow,

I am 35 and experiencing exactly the same thing. Until a couple of years ago, she whose name I cannot say used to come and go with hardly an incident. I remember almost throwing down with a couple of students in my college Human Sexuality class when the topic of PMS came up. I thought it was such BS and really just an excuse for women to behave badly.

BUT...the last couple of years has been another story. The cramps are debilitating and, as an extra bonus, come with a nice little migraine that even a bottle of Exedrin won't kill. And I basically lock myself in the house and turn off the phones so as not to scare the neighbors or lose every single friend I have...I'm a beast, a crying, angry, what's-the-point-of-living beast. With teenage skin.

So, you are not alone, sister...we all breathe a collective sigh and nod of agreement!

I've heard reference a couple of times to something called Progesterone cream...a topical cream that helps with hormonal imbalances that can heighten PMS symptoms. But haven't tried it yet. You can get it at any drug/health food store.

All the best to you and your DH!

Yep, I blame perimenopause.

My periods have gotten worse over the last year, my hair is shedding twice as fast as it used to, I've had hot flashes (though not many, thankfully), insomnia out of nowhere, weird little hairs growing where they shouldn't be growing :mad: , and other lovely symptoms. Argh.

It sounds like perimenopause. You probably are experiencing estrogen dominance with low progesterone.

Depending on what you would like to do, you can ask for blood tests for 1 day a week during the 3 or 4 week cycle. You should have all the estrogens tested as well as progesterone, FSH, DHEA and testosterone. This will give your doctor an idea of what your hormones are doing.

You can then work with your doctor on a regime of bio identical hormones. I take progesterone 25 days out of 30 in my cycle to control estrogen dominance. I have been doing this regime for about 10 years and my estrogen is under control. The raging PMS has disappeared and I am actually starting to show signs of lowered estrogen.

If estrogen dominance is the issue, you should also look at liver support in order to flush out the circulating estrogen that stays in the intestines and liver. I just found out about this and started a regime of amino acids and herbs last week, it really helped with the insomnia before TOM.

Menopause doesn't happen until you have missed 1 year of periods. All the stuff leading up to that is called perimenopause. Some women can have symptoms of perimenopause for 15-20 years before they actually experience menopause.

Hot flashes are a sign of lowering estrogen. Women who have experienced high estrogen levels are the ones who usually end up with hot flashes. Women going through the last stages of perimenopause might actually experience extremely high and extremely low estrogen throughout their cycles.

For many women, the progesterone cream may not have enough of the hormone to make a difference. I needed sub-lingual hormones in order for me to feel a difference.

Last edited:
Just to give you hope for getting old.:p The last 5 year's before menopause (age 44-49) I only had about 1 period per year. Joan

Definitely sounds like some hormone imbalance going on, but not actual menopause...but everyone is different. I went through premature menopause at 35 yrs old. Periods tapered off until they stopped completely, hot flashes, night sweats, etc. Definitely go to your doc and get some blood tests done--check all hormones, thyroid, adrenal function. I can't remember all the symptoms of PCOS, but I'd check that out as well. Good luck and hope you feel better soon!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.