Did working out make labor easier?

Shanda

Cathlete
I'm very curious about this. Since I've been pregnant I have been watching maternity ward, and a baby story all the time now. There was one lady that worked out her whole pregnancy with a personal trainer she wanted to deliver with a midwife but after 24hours in labor she went to a hospital. However, when it came time for her to push she did really great especially, according to the doctors for a first time pregnancy. They attributed it to the fact that she did stay active and workout during her pregnancy. Any personal stories from you guys? thanks.

Shanda

I can't attribute my situation directly to working out - it's hard to say whether it was the fitness or just luck/genetics. But...

I worked out cardio and weights (I was a pre-Cathe Firm Believer back then) through my whole pregnancy and also walked. My labor was four hours and i pushed somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes I think. And I got back to my pre-pregnancy weight and endurance quite quickly. I'm due with number 2 in October and we'll see. I'm in even better shape now - thanks to Cathe and running. So, maybe a two hour labor?? Mine was also completely natural labor.

Good luck!

When I was pregnant, I worked out 3 times a week until I was about 8 months pregnant. I walked a lot until 2 days before I had my son. Trust me, working out really helps your labor. I was only in labor for 4 1/2 hours and had my son after 10 minutes of pushing. I had all natural birth as well. I did have a lot of cramps and was uncomfortable but the doctor and nurses said I did a great job keeping calm. I believe exercise helps your mentality, too. I believe it helps to keep you calm and focused. After a few weeks, you'd be back working out the same...Not as hard but pretty good. I didn't have any problems getting back to working out. I had a problem losing weight :eek:) It took me 2 months just to lose 5 pounds. I don't know if that is normal after you have the baby for other women. I've heard yoga helps to make your labor better and easier. I've never done yoga but you could try that. Try Crunch YogaMama for the days you feel too sluggish to work out. It's supposed to help to keep your muscles flexible. I wish you a lot of luck with your baby.

Lisa

I'm convinced. I've heard that when you have your first baby the avearge labor time is 14 hours. 4 hours is great, working out does so many things for you.

Shanda

I was also a pre-Cathe Firmbeliever when I was pregnant, and did some racewalking too. Although no labor is easy, working out during pregnancy (as long as you have no complications and your doctor or nurse midwife says its ok) will really help you with the strength, stamina and endurance this ordeal requires. My labor was 7 hours total and I looked and felt pretty good afterward. All my body functions came "back on line" in record time and the charge nurse commented on how quickly my uterus went back to its prepregnant postion. I resumed my regular workouts about 3 weeks after delivery but did do some mild racewalking about 1 1/2 weeks after delivery. Because I had learned to focus on each specific exercise involved with my workouts beforehand, give it "my all" and breath out on the exertions etc, I was able to use this strategy which helped tremedously with labor. Psychologically I went into my labor feeling strong because I did work out and continually told myself this throughout the labor and delivery. Even though my sleep was disrupted for awhile after my daughter was born, working out seemed to make whatever sleep I was able to get more effective. I might have only gotten 2 or 3 hours at a time, but it was that good, deep, restorative kind of sleep that we really need.

Exercise will also help you to deal with all the stresses both wonderful and at times, not so wonderful that having a newborn has to offer.

Hope this helps you and congratulations on your pregnancy!

Deb

Well, I hate to be the party pooper here, but I felt I had to chime in with the opposite view. I worked out up until the day I delievered with both my pregnancies, including teaching Body Pump into the ninth month, and although working out gave me benefits in just about every other aspect of pregnancy and post-partum recovery, it did not make my labors any easier! My first was 35 hours long, including nearly 2 hours of pushing, and my second was about 13 hours (but only three pushes). My OB (who originally promised me that I'd be up in my room by mid-afternoon and ended up delivering my son at 9:00 pm.) speculated that I had a narrower pelvis, so no amount of exercise is going to compensate for such particulars of anatomy.

Having said that, being fit made both my pregnancies much more enjoyable and easier to handle, and my recovery was super-fast.

Ok Hazel, now you have me scard. I never thought about the anatomy issue. Working out during pregnancy certainly can't hurt I'll keep at it and just see how it goes. Labor is different for everyone of course whether you worked out or not. Thanks for the insighs ladies.

Shanda

Oh dean!

Shanda, I certainly didn't intend to scare you! :( I'm so sorry -- I always hated those women who felt compelled to relate their grueling labor stories when I was pregnant with my first and not knowing what to expect! I certainly didn't mean to turn into one of them! My only intention was to suggest that you really can't know what to expect -- everyone told me that I would breeze through labor because I was so fit, and I was so disappointed when that was not the case for me -- just didn't want you to have the same experience. You are right that you really can't know what to expect, since there are so many variables involved.

And I should note that I didn't spend 35 and 13 hours respectively in "hard" labor -- in fact, with the first one, it took me most of the first day to even realize that the crampiness I was feeling was actually labor pains (duh). (I was induced the second time around, so I didn't have to guess.:p). And of course, I chose to have an epidural both times, so it's not like I felt much of anything after that.

The good thing is that no matter how long it is, labor always does end, and at least the pain has a purpose. Once you're holding that little bundle, you really do forget all about what went before. Labor is just one relatively brief, necessary part of the larger goal. Keep your eyes on the prize and you'll be fine!

I too worked out for the entirety of my pregnancy. I was using a couple of pregnancy workout videos and a few of my own including walking on my treadmill & climbing my stair stepper. My labor lasted just a little under 4 hours and I must haved pushed for about 10-20 minutes tops. However, I did get an epidural about half way through my labor as the contractions were coming too fast and hard and I felt that I needed something to help take the edge off of the pain. My doctor told me while I was pushing that I was a natural and must have been born to have kids. Granted, I don't know how big my pelvic bone is but I have always been hippy so I guess that helped with the easier labor too. Good Luck!!

SHANDA - TURN OFF THE TELEVISION!! PUT DOWN THE REMOTE!!!

Seriously, don't watch those shows all the time. They're scary as sheet! I'm preg with #2 now, and I can say I was so freaked out with #1, I made it harder on myself than it had to be. Labor's much worse in your head than in reality - and that's coming from someone who's got Hazel's story beat!! :9 Mind you, I didn't work out so consistently last time, but who knows if that was why.

Regardless of how long your labor is, you're going to feel like you've finished a Cathe marathon afterwards. Tired, but proud!! And you'll have the cutest dang souvenir!!

Tracy

Shanda--I worked out through most of my second pregnancy--until mid 7th month when I had to stop because of complications and I believe that it made a difference in how well I tolerated labor--I felt it gave me more stamina, endurance, and a stronger pain threshold(thanks to Cathe for all that LOL!) I did the CTX series for most of my pg with modifications once I got bigger.

With my first pg I did not work out at all and my labor went from 3am-11:25pm (with 3 hours of pushing). My second pg I was in labor from about 7am-8:14pm (with only 20 minutes of pushing).

I guess the thing to keep in mind is that every pregnancy and labor is different--working out did make me feel better during my pg though and that was worth it in itself.

Good luck to you!! :p

Hard to say!

My labour with Max was 24 hours long and it was painful (until the epidural!). I was pushing for about 2 1/2 hours of that time and found it absolutely exhausting. But I didn't tear (doctors claim due to great muscle tone "down there" - whatever! I think I was just lucky to be honest). I think being fit certainly helped with the pushing stage though which is highly aerobic, I can assure you - LOL!

Shanda,

I can tell you from experience, that every labor and delivery is different and that yes, genetics is involved. I worked out with the last seven pregnancies on a very regular basis.

To make a long story short - Labor #1 from start to finish was 7 hours (I never worked out with her) - Labor #2 from start to finish was 7 hours again ( I never worked out with him either) Labor #3 from start to finish was 11 hours (I had to push 2 hours to get him out he did weight 9lb. 6 oz) Labor #4 was about 9 hours but was a breeze when it came to pushing (worked out with her) Labor #5 was about 7 hours all back labor - had to push about 1 1/2 hours for her ( worked out with her)

Labor#6 about 6 hours - pushing much easier with him ( worked out with him) Labor #7 water broke ended up on petosin to get labor going in labor for 16 hours and had to push for 1 1/2 hours and had back labor ( worked out with him too) Labor #8 was my quickest it was about 4 hours and pushing him out was about two pushes. Labor #9 was about 9 hours all back labor pushing wasn't so bad with him either Labor #10 - well I went from dilated from 4 to 10 in about an hour - it took about 4 or 5 pushes with him labor was about 5 hours.

So, as you can see they are all different. It depends on the babies position and other things. But please do not worry about anything everything will work out fine. I had all these babies without any pain medication - no epidurals and I am stil alive to talk about it.

Working out helps to get around better while pregnant and for afterwards, too. Physically I am in better shape now than when I was in high school. Thanks to Cathe's tapes. No one cann hardly believe that I have had even one baby.

Good Luck,

Cheryl

Cheryl,
How many kids do you have and how old are you? Also, I don't see how genetics have anything to do with making labor easier. That does not make sense at all. Every female member of the family have different weight in babies. My mother was in labor for 6 hours before she had me and I was 6 pounds. My son was over 9 pounds and he was my first child. I don't know why you people think genetics have to do with every single thing. Did it ever occur to you women have different size hips and pelvics? The bigger the pelvics the easier it is to give birth. If you're small or too small, there's no way or it will rip you apart which is why a lot of doctors want c-sections. A lot of women I know who are very small boned and skinny had c-sections because they were way too small.

Lisa

Lisa,

Genetics is how you are built. having enough room in the birth canal has nothing to do with how one looks on the outside. I am 5' 51/2" and I weigh 115 pounds and am medium framed and I had all of my children vaginally - I have a friend who is 5' 10" tall and very large boned but her pelvic was not big enough to deliver vaginally. She had c-sections for both of her babies. Four of my children were over 9 pounds.

I have ten children - I am 47 years old. I had my last child at the age of 45. What I was saying in the previous post is all labors and deliveries are different. Some women can be in labor only a few hours and some for days.

Just because I have had ten children, people seem to think they just fall out - the point I was making is that was not and is not the case for me.

Can't you see that genetics make upwho you are? Welll, that also determines your size in the birth canal as well as the color of your eyes, whether you are small boned or big boned.

Genetics is the whole make up of your baby, too. Alot of things determines what weight your babies will be, whether you smoke drink alcohol, etc.

After having ten children I think I know a little bit about it.

Cheryl

Cheryl...can I please ask you...

I hope this isn't too terribly personal, but you mentioned that you had your last child at age 45 and I was wondering if you had an amnio with any of your babies. I'll be 36 when I deliver this baby and I need to decide on whether or not to go through with the test. I know many people say that it depends on what you would do with the information, but I really have no idea what I would do either way. I'm so confused and scared. My head is spinning on trying to figure out what is best.

RE: Cheryl...can I please ask you...

Hi, I'm not Cheryl and I hope you don't mind me chiming in here but I was 35 when I was pregnant with my daughter and was faced with the decision as to whether or not to have amnio. I had some preliminary test results that needed the conclusive evidence that only amnio can give. My husband and I really weren't sure what we would do with whatever information we got but we both did want to know that information. I can't advise you on whether or not to do this because it really is personal and up to you. What I can tell you is that if you do decide to go with it, go to a facility that just does amnio and genetic testing because that's all they do and they have the best experience at it. I had the option of going to a local hospital where they do that and a million other things (all wonderful I'm sure) or go to a clinic very far away where all they do is amnio and related tests. I'm happy I went to the clinic because everyone there is trained to handle any question or concern involved with this type of testing. They also did a very thorough ultrasound first - like nothing I had ever had before and they always gave me the option to back out of the amnio even 5 minutes before if I changed my mind which was comforting. It was also nice to sit in a waiting room with all pregnant "older folk" and not among much younger women like in my usual OB waiting room. I felt like I was among other older pregnant folk who understood. The doctor who did my amnio had done roughly 17,000 of them before mine so I knew he was experienced. The staff at the clinic also did not mind my calling them with what had to have been 400 phone calls over the next two weeks while I impatiently waited for the results. By the way, we found out I was carrying a healthy (and very active)little girl.

Good luck with whatever decision you make - remember you need to be happy and at peace with yourself with whatever you decide. Hope this info helped and I didn't drone on too long!!!

Deb

RE: Cheryl...can I please ask you...

Hi,
I'm not Cheryl but I can give you something...DON'T DO THE AMNIO!!! I was SOOOOO happy I didn't do it. I don't trust the doctor no matter what with that. They can be very good and still hurt the baby. NO WAY IN HELL FOR ME! Just have faith in yourself, God and the baby. I wouldn't worry about it unless there really, really is a problem. If they just wanted to check to make sure the baby doesn't have the DS or anything like that, forget it. My own doctor said it's not very effective at all. My son is very healthy, no diseases or anything. When are you due anyway?

No kidding, Cheryl!! I know a lot about genetics. I'm saying some women who are small built cannot give birth to a baby. I'm a little over 6 feet tall and I had my son ALL natural with no drugs and vaginally so I know a little bit about that, too. My mother in law is a tiny woman and she's very small boned and she gave birth to my husband who was over 10 pounds. I know all about eye colors, blah blah...Just because you're over 20 yrs older than me doesnt mean you know A LOT more than I do. You do know some things more than I do only because you're older and you have some experience. Are you a grandmother yet or what?

Regarding the amnio it's such a personal choice. I personally chose to have one for my own peace of mind my daughter has cystic hygroma which is a marker for Turners syndrome. The amnio came back negative but, I knew I could not enjoy the rest of my pregnancy wondering if she was healthy. I like my doctor alot and I had no pain from my amnio as a matter of fact I went to the mall afterwards. I'll be 33 when she's born so my amnio had nothing to do with age. I think you should go with your gut and how you feel in your heart. Best of luck in whatever decision you make.

Shanda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.