DH started his thru hike of the AT

For those of you playing the home game version of "Hiking the Appalachian Trail", here's an update:
DH took his very first "zero day" (no miles hiked) on Sunday in Daleville, VA while he waited to get his re-supply box at the post office yesterday morning. He put the time to good use by sleeping in later than his pre-dawn trail start time (in a bed!); doing laundry in a machine (not a river!); washing his tent in the tub; performing other gear maintenance and paring down his pack. He also spent some time working out. He's been working out regularly on the trail with push-ups, pull-ups on tree branches, and of course workin' his awesome abs. We talked for a long time on the phone and I could hear the other hikers that were staying at the hotel enjoying their zero day: they were whooping it up and having a blast! DH said it was a young energetic group with a lot of trail injuries like ankle sprains and trail toe, and general body achiness all over. But they sure sounded happy :)! He's making his way up toward Shenandoah National Park in what appears to be really nice weather for a while (last night it stormed along his route :()...
...stay tuned....

Just got an email from a trail angel that met my DH in Shenandoah National Park today! She said he was doing great and had quite an appetite for the goodies that her husband and her were providing the thru hikers. I spoke with him on Friday night when he picked up his re-supply box in Waynesboro, VA and he was in good spirits and nursing some aches and pains. He has really been learning a lot on his journey, not just about hiking the trail, but about himself as well. This has been one of the more interesting things he's tried and I am hoping he will finish it with gusto!

DH made it to Harpers Ferry, WV yesterday! That's 1022.7 miles down, 1,166.5 more to go! We talked for a long time last night and had some great laughs...he's doing really well and is coming to terms with being ravenous most of the time. He stopped at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's headquarters yesterday and had his picture taken...I'm going to keep checking their Facebook page to see if I catch a glimpse!

A fellow hiker sent a picture to me of my DH in Boilings Springs, PA. Several hikers had picked up their re-supply shipments from the post office at the same time and were rejoicing at the goodies their Ground Crew Hikers had sent to them! My DH was beaming like a kid and looked about as happy as he could possibly look for someone who is enjoying every step of the 1121 miles he's hiked so far!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.