DH started his thru hike of the AT

Nanbo

Cathlete
Yesterday I dropped my DH off in Amicalola Falls State Park at the approach trail to The Appalachian Trail. He is SO ready for this challenge! He trained with my 20# Cathe Vest while doing hiking speed drills, and did the RWH cardio (HiiT, circuit stuff), Flextrain, and Cardio Leg Blast, along with his favorite Tabatacise. He also hiked 25 miles per day with his full pack for the past few weeks. He is hoping to do high volume days (lots of miles) and finish up in under 75 days. It is very ambitious, but he is focused and mature enough at 58 to get the job done! Needless to say, I am envious and wish I was out there with him...but I know I'd slow him down and it would turn into a 4 month hike! I plan on staying here at Command Center (as Official Ground Crew Hiker #1), tracking his progress while tackling my Cathe DVDs and working on my pull-up challenge.
Since he is an Environmental Scientist specializing in toxicology, he is hiking under the trail name of "Non-Toxic"....give him some encouragement if you run into him on the trail on his way to Maine!

That's so cool, Nancy. Wow, 75 days, that is ambitious! When I saw the thread title, I assumed he was hiking north to south if starting at this time of year. I'm sure you'll miss him, but he's lucky to have such a supportive partner. Love the trail name.
Maybe you can crash his party in the Presidentials in NH? It's a beautiful part of the country! ;) I've done many hikes there and we often ran into thru-hikers -- they announce themselves to the olfactory sense before one sees them with the eyes! :p

Wow, you were in my neck of the woods. I live just a few miles south of Amicalola Falls. We've hiked that portion of the AT many times, but of course have never tried for the whole trail. Good luck to your DH. Keep us posted!

as the 80's coined "that is totally awesome" :) I'm thinking what great health at 58 your dh is in and what a great adventure lifetime story to tell.. I love day hiking and overnight back packing but honestly couldn't image 75 days just WOW

I couldn't image more than few days on the trail. I'm guessing he will hit some towns a long the way to get supplies and maybe a shower that's not from rain water ;)

That is awesome!! Wow.. 75 days. Bet you're going to miss him dearly. I can totally see why you'd like to be there with him, also understand why you're not. Yes, Kudos to your DH. Love the name "Non-Toxic"! He's showing everyone that age is just a number. You can do anything you set your mind to. GO DH!!!

Brenda

Wow, you were in my neck of the woods. I live just a few miles south of Amicalola Falls. We've hiked that portion of the AT many times, but of course have never tried for the whole trail. Good luck to your DH. Keep us posted!
Jeanne, that area is BREATHTAKING!!!! It was the first time I have been to Georgia and I was knocked out! Everything was so lush and vibrant; the rhododendrons were GIANT and the Mountain Laurel seemed to be at it's peak! How lucky you are to live there! We stayed in Dahlonega the night before his hike and ate at the Corkscrew Cafe (awesome salmon with pureed sweet potato!). Adorable little college town, perfect for his send-off!

I received an email yesterday from a couple that met my DH in Neel's Gap along the trail (about 30 miles in). They were so kind to send me a photo of him. Guess he had to buy a new backpack; I had doubts that his little daypack and my old college bookbag were going to do the job! I hope that others along the trail extend this courtesy to me...gives me the warm-fuzzies to know that there are such kind-hearted folks out there!

Yesterday I dropped my DH off in Amicalola Falls State Park at the approach trail to The Appalachian Trail. He is SO ready for this challenge! He trained with my 20# Cathe Vest while doing hiking speed drills, and did the RWH cardio (HiiT, circuit stuff), Flextrain, and Cardio Leg Blast, along with his favorite Tabatacise. He also hiked 25 miles per day with his full pack for the past few weeks. He is hoping to do high volume days (lots of miles) and finish up in under 75 days. It is very ambitious, but he is focused and mature enough at 58 to get the job done! Needless to say, I am envious and wish I was out there with him...but I know I'd slow him down and it would turn into a 4 month hike! I plan on staying here at Command Center (as Official Ground Crew Hiker #1), tracking his progress while tackling my Cathe DVDs and working on my pull-up challenge.
Since he is an Environmental Scientist specializing in toxicology, he is hiking under the trail name of "Non-Toxic"....give him some encouragement if you run into him on the trail on his way to Maine!

I just finished the book "A Walk in the Woods" two days ago. I really learned a lot about the AT. That is so great that your hubby is hiking this whole trail. All I can say is FANTASTIC!

Joanne

I just finished the book "A Walk in the Woods" two days ago. I really learned a lot about the AT. That is so great that your hubby is hiking this whole trail. All I can say is FANTASTIC!

LOVED that book! I went around telling everyone little anecdotes I picked up when reading it!:p

Jeanne, that area is BREATHTAKING!!!! It was the first time I have been to Georgia and I was knocked out! Everything was so lush and vibrant; the rhododendrons were GIANT and the Mountain Laurel seemed to be at it's peak! How lucky you are to live there! We stayed in Dahlonega the night before his hike and ate at the Corkscrew Cafe (awesome salmon with pureed sweet potato!). Adorable little college town, perfect for his send-off!

Nancy,

I replied to this the other day and now it's gone. So forgive me if it shows up twice. Not sure what happened....

And yes, thank you, we do live in a beautiful area. I am just 10 minutes from Dahlonega. We hang out there often, eating at the cool restaurants and just enjoying the square. Another good place to eat, should you go again, is the Picnic Cafe. And I agree, the Corkscrew is great! Did you sit outside in the back? They have a perfect little deck area.

It's funny, I don't consider Dahlonega a college town. Even though the University of North Georgia is there, Dahlonega as a town way preceded it, and as long as I've been here (40 years), we always just considered Dahlonega a destination by itself. The University recently merged with the University System of Georgia. Before that it was North Georgia College and State University. My son went there his first two years of undergrad before he transferred to Georgia Tech in downtown Atlanta. We are lucky enough to be so close he could commute from home.

Continued best wishes to your DH. I bet he's having the time of his life. It's so nice to hear that strangers are being so kind. It's the way we hope all people to be. Keep us posted!

What a great opportunity! DH and I have talked about doing this someday, but can't see how we could get away for that kind of time commitment. I wish him well!

Received another email and picture of my DH from a day-hiker yesterday! He made it to Hot Springs, NC on Wednesday and picked up his re-supply box from the local PO before heading onward! I hope he likes the sleeping bag I sent to him...he's been a bit chilled at night with only a Mylar emergency blanket to keep him warm....but I know he is loving every challenge he is encountering and having a great time! He only has about 1900 more miles to go ;)!

Received another email and picture of my DH from a day-hiker yesterday! He made it to Hot Springs, NC on Wednesday and picked up his re-supply box from the local PO before heading onward! I hope he likes the sleeping bag I sent to him...he's been a bit chilled at night with only a Mylar emergency blanket to keep him warm....but I know he is loving every challenge he is encountering and having a great time! He only has about 1900 more miles to go ;)!

So interesting. I love the updates.
Joanne

Another lovely lady emailed me yesterday and gave me an update on my DH: she was on a 3 day Holiday Hike with her kids and met up with him near Erwin, TN where they all went for a dip in a river. This line really got me: "Your husband mentioned that leaving you for the trail was his biggest mistake he has ever done because he loves you so much, but when I asked him later how determined he is to finish the trail , he also said that he is really is determined to finish it if he can". All I can say is that I packed some extra special goodies into his re-supply box that I sent yesterday to Damascus, VA ;)!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.