Decisions, decisions...

UnstrungHarp

Cathlete
Hi all!

I'm trying to decide which DVDs to purchase next. After reading all the DVD descriptions on this website, I'm pretty familiar with all of Cathe's workouts but still am having trouble narrowing the choices down. Basically, what I'm looking for is a set of workouts that will fill one week, in order to alternate weeks with the Timesaver workouts. I own the Timesaver DVD, the Power Hour DVD, and the Terminator DVD.

What I've been doing for the past several weeks is the five Timesaver workouts, Monday through Friday. Then if I'm lucky enough to have time to work out on Saturday too, I'll choose one of the workouts from Power Hour or Terminator. Before I started this Timesaver-focused "rotation," I only randomly chose workouts from Power Hour and Terminator about 3 or 4 times a week - which made me feel like a slacker! I really like being able to work out at least five days a week, and the shorter Timesaver workouts have been very helpful in my busy schedule. So, I'd like to keep doing the Timesaver workouts, but only every other week.

Eventually I'll get to the point of my question! Ideally, I'd like to have another five workouts that I can do Monday - Friday and still throw in some random workout on those happy Saturdays when I have time. I want to get plenty of strength training but certainly cardio as well. Maybe three strength training workouts like the Gym Style series for Monday-Wednesday-Friday, then two cardio workouts for Tuesday-Thursday?? Unfortunately, I am not a fan of the Dynaband which is a prominent feature in many of Cathe's new workouts (the ones I own have a very strong stinky rubber smell that sticks to everything it touches!!). Is it possible to eliminate/substitute the Dynaband in the Gym Style workouts?

So, for strength training ONLY workouts that I don't already own, with no Dynaband, that leaves the Pyramids, Slow and Heavy, Push Pull/Supersets, and Pure Strength (this one looks kind of old!). Did I leave anything out? I will need to select one of those, along with two other cardio workouts (maybe Low Max, Kick Max, Imax3, or one of the older cardio DVDs?). I forgot to mention that I don't actually use a step - I do all of the "stepping" on the floor, but with a lot of intensity. I do have dumbbells, a barbell, wrist and ankle weights and a recently purchased stability ball.

Any suggestions are welcomed! Sorry for the long, drawn out post. I'm hoping to make a decision soon, so I can also pre-order one of the four new DVDs and save on shipping (probably Drill Max??).

Thanks!!

Hi There,

I'll see if I can help a little.........

I think for Cardio, I would definitely get Kick, Punch, and Crunch. If you don't do step, then you wouldn't really need to get it on DVD with Legs and Glutes--instead you can get it on VHS (it's on clearance now for $10, and hopefully it isn't sold out yet!!!).

I can't imagine doing the other cardio workouts that I have without a step, but I must say I do LOVE Lowmax. Bootcamp might be good (that's a circuit workout from the intensity series, and you don't use a regular step for it, just a high step for one set of leg presses). It comes on DVD with Muscle Endurance, which is an awesome total body weightlifting workout.

Also for weight training, I would definitely recommend Upper Body Pyramid. I don't do Lower Body Body Pyramid, but UBP is one of my all time favorites.

Hopefully, others will add to my recommendations--good luck!!

Dukechick

IMHO your best bet would be the Cross Train Express (CTX) double-DVD set. It has 6 workouts, five of which have cardio and single-upper-body-muscle strength components, and the sixth of which is strictly leg strengthening ("Leaner Legs", aka "Meaner Legs"). Four of the six workouts include ab/core routines as well. One of the DVDs also offers an All Abs premix that pulls all of the core routines together, and an Upper Body Split premix that pulls all of the upper body strength routines together.

No Dynabands are required in this series.

The cardio is very good, a mix of traditional step, step-kickbox and step-leg-circuit, hi/lo and traditional kickbox.

If you only can work out five days out of seven, you can always do 2 strength segments on one or two of your workout days.

HTH -

A-Jock

How could I have missed the Cross Train Express DVD? I've looked over the DVD information page a hundred times (well, maybe not). It sounds perfect! It sounds a lot like Timesaver, except for the length of each workout is about fifteen to twenty minutes longer. That one has moved to the top of the list. Still haven't completely decided - CTX is a little on the expensive side!

Thanks to everyone so far for your responses! :)

CTX was one of my more recent purchases and I have to say that it is definitely worth every penney! You are getting a lot of workouts for the money.:)

I have both Timesaver and CTX and while I like Timesaver, I LOVE CTX! I think the upper body work is much tougher than Timesaver and the cardio is a little more intense. Worth every penny!

Lori

I just broke down and spent the money on CTX. It is expensive and I had a really difficult time justifying it. It was one of the best purchases I have made. I really like these workouts - and leaner legs alone is worth that! (If you don't mind pain!) It's definitely worth the money.

Get CTX! I have all of Cathe's workouts and this is the one series I always go back to. It's expensive, but you get the most bang for your buck. It also gives me great results. For some reason my body responds very well to short, intense cardio workouts and endurance style weight training.

Agree with the others, definetely get CTX. I just did a month of it after pretty much a year off. I'm feeling so much better, energy, stress level etc and as a bonus my clothes are fitting great!

You'll love all the variety too.

Let us know what you decide

- Robyn

I fourth, or fifth, or whatever # we're on for CTX!! It was the first series I had of Cathe's, and still my FAVORITE!!! Wish I would have gotten it on DVD, but didn't...Get it!!! It's WELL worth the money!

MJ

I agree. I just got the vhs version of CTX and LOVE IT!!! Everyday is fun and challenging. Before I got it I wasn't sure I could justify the cost on dvd- so it was on my wish list. Then the vhs sale came and I am soooo glad I got it. If I had known I would not have hesitated. I was just going to use it as part of my rotation and after one week I decided I'm going to continue till I get bored. (thinking 3 more weeks). I also have timesaver and in comparison, while timesaver is okay- CTX is awesome!!! Okay- enough gushing- Also, KPC is my favorite aerobic workout of Cathe's(no step needed) Deanie:)

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions! I've decided to get CTX on DVD (I don't have a VCR). I noticed that I'm very close to getting free shipping just by ordering CTX, so now I'd like to choose one more DVD to push me over the $99 mark (*gasp*)!

I'd like to choose one of the newest one-workout DVDs, not only because of the cheaper price, but mainly because I've heard so many great things about them. I'm thinking either Low Max, Kick Max, or Imax 3, because I'll already have a lot of strength-training oriented workouts in my regular weekly rotations. But I'm completely open to suggestions.

Here are the DVDs that I already have:

Timesaver
Terminator
Power Hour +
CTX (on the way!)

Does anyone have any more recommendations? :) Thanks in advance!!

Here I am, replying to my own message. Guess I couldn't wait any longer to place an order! I just ordered CTX and Kick Max. I love the KPC portion on the Timesaver DVD, and I prefer to do a workout that isn't designed for a step (since I don't have a step, anyway!). So, it looks like my new rotation after the new DVDs arrive will be something like this:

Week 1
Monday - Friday: Timesaver workouts 1-5
Saturday: Kick Max

Week 2
Monday - Saturday: CTX workouts 1-6

Week 3
Monday - Friday: Timesaver workouts 1-5
Saturday: probably Kick Max again; if not, something from Terminator

Week 4
Monday - Saturday: CTX workouts 1-6

Too bad, no time for anything from the Power Hour DVD! Oh well, I will have to come up with a new rotation for the next month and try to fit some Power Hour in there.

Thanks again to everyone for your suggestions!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.