Day off

Andelin

I have been using some of your DVDs for some time now, and getting stronger each time.
I have a question redarding time off: I find that I get pretty tired after 6 days in a row, and my hb suggested the following:
- day 1: cardio/upper body workout (total 1hr +/-)
- day 2: cardio/lower body workout " " " "
- day 3: cardio/intense core workout " " " "
- day 4: off
That seems to work good for me but I wonder if I am losing some of the benefits doing this rotation, as you suggest 6 exercise day/1 off.
Thanks for the answer or anyone else's that would help.

Andelin

I have been using some of your DVDs for some time now, and getting stronger each time.
I have a question redarding time off: I find that I get pretty tired after 6 days in a row, and my hb suggested the following:
- day 1: cardio/upper body workout (total 1hr +/-)
- day 2: cardio/lower body workout " " " "
- day 3: cardio/intense core workout " " " "
- day 4: off
That seems to work good for me but I wonder if I am losing some of the benefits doing this rotation, as you suggest 6 exercise day/1 off.
Thanks for the answer or anyone else's that would help.

Andelin

Andelin, actually I think that is a good schedule, especially if you found that 6-day-on-1-day-off is tiring for you. I know it would for me; I really like to go hammer and tongs when I work out, and I know I couldn't sustain that with only one day off during any given week.

Trying to constantly gut your way through fatigue isn't going to do you much good. Cathe has come up with several productions or DVDs that have you following schedules that are not of the 6-on-1-off variety (the Timesaver DVD from the Body Blast Series, and her newest release the 4-Day Split come to mind).

Your own body is your best guide. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to exercise scheduling. If you are building strength, if your cardiovascular capabilities are improving, and if you are improving power production with the 3-on-1-off as you've listed above, then go for it.

A-Jock

Andelin, actually I think that is a good schedule, especially if you found that 6-day-on-1-day-off is tiring for you. I know it would for me; I really like to go hammer and tongs when I work out, and I know I couldn't sustain that with only one day off during any given week.

Trying to constantly gut your way through fatigue isn't going to do you much good. Cathe has come up with several productions or DVDs that have you following schedules that are not of the 6-on-1-off variety (the Timesaver DVD from the Body Blast Series, and her newest release the 4-Day Split come to mind).

Your own body is your best guide. There is no one-size-fits-all when it comes to exercise scheduling. If you are building strength, if your cardiovascular capabilities are improving, and if you are improving power production with the 3-on-1-off as you've listed above, then go for it.

A-Jock

Absolutely, gotta agree with A-Jock here. And you know, you can play around with it even more, depending upon need and schedule. I go in hard too and find that some days, I just need a break, so I often do 2 days on, a day off, two days on, a day off, etc. Very often my 'weekly' rotation often extends to 8-9 days, but I don't care. I get it all done, continue to make improvements in cardio fitness and strength and that is the bottom line.

Clare

Absolutely, gotta agree with A-Jock here. And you know, you can play around with it even more, depending upon need and schedule. I go in hard too and find that some days, I just need a break, so I often do 2 days on, a day off, two days on, a day off, etc. Very often my 'weekly' rotation often extends to 8-9 days, but I don't care. I get it all done, continue to make improvements in cardio fitness and strength and that is the bottom line.

Clare

Thanks Clare and Annette for the input. I must say that I like the 3-1 routine as it's not so daunting as 6-1. I can see easily "the end of the tunnel" even though it's a fun tunnel as I love my workouts. I just finished Low Max and feel so happy and elated!
You are right about being the one who knows when you need a rest and in fact this week I took 2 days off and stretched, as I really felt tired. That happens once in a while and I'm pretty good at recognizing the need for a long break.
So I'll stay with this routine, and keep reaping the benefits.
As a note, I have that 4 day split new DVD, like it a lot, haven't mastered the High intensity one yet but it's great overall. I do rotate a lot, though, and don't necessarily stick to that DVD.
Have fun and thanks again!

Andelin

Thanks Clare and Annette for the input. I must say that I like the 3-1 routine as it's not so daunting as 6-1. I can see easily "the end of the tunnel" even though it's a fun tunnel as I love my workouts. I just finished Low Max and feel so happy and elated!
You are right about being the one who knows when you need a rest and in fact this week I took 2 days off and stretched, as I really felt tired. That happens once in a while and I'm pretty good at recognizing the need for a long break.
So I'll stay with this routine, and keep reaping the benefits.
As a note, I have that 4 day split new DVD, like it a lot, haven't mastered the High intensity one yet but it's great overall. I do rotate a lot, though, and don't necessarily stick to that DVD.
Have fun and thanks again!

Andelin

That is a perfect rotation Andelin! The 6 day on/one day off plan is just a suggestion. There are many ways to work the plan. The one you described is perfectly acceptably and effective too. Plus it works good for you so that's the icing on the cake. Keep up the great work as you continue to listen to your body. Good luck and have "fun":)

That is a perfect rotation Andelin! The 6 day on/one day off plan is just a suggestion. There are many ways to work the plan. The one you described is perfectly acceptably and effective too. Plus it works good for you so that's the icing on the cake. Keep up the great work as you continue to listen to your body. Good luck and have "fun":)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.