Cutting out all whites...

KristaO

Cathlete
Question for all of you who do not eat the whites anymore... sugars, white flour, potatoes. I just started cutting these out of my diet last week and have had amazing results (lost 5 lbs in a week). I realize that you are automatically giving yourself a calorie cut, but do you find in the long run that it really helps to keep the fat off? Its really hard to do (my kids are already complaining... LOL) and I guess I'm just looking for some encouragement. Thanks all!

I've been off white processed stuff as much as possible since Jan.1, and I feel great. Yes, have dropped a few pounds, but just really feel so much better. Keep it up. My kids groan as well since we eat healthier than other families. My oldest DS told a friend of mine that he likes to go to her house "so he can eat some junk food". My kids eat healthier, and they even help me look at nutrition labels for high fructose syrup, msg, etc. Hey, start those habits early - lord knows I never had it growing up. I grew up on fish sticks and tuna casserole, lol.

Hang in there -- it's a change for the long haul. You can still get your kids some fibery white bread that's good for them and they'll never know the difference...

Heidi

It's really worked for me. I started cutting out the white stuff about 4 yrs ago now with the South Beach diet and lost the majority of my weight and have kept it off since then. No *diet* (I hate to call it a diet, I call it a lifestyle) has worked for me prior to that and I tried it ALL. I've been eating even cleaner for the past year and I really feel great. I used to be plagued by tiredness, headaches, etc but now I rarely get sick and haven't had a migraine in months now!!

Your kids will get used to it. I've just found healthier ways to make their favorite things like whole wheat & oatmeal pancakes & waffles, healthier banana bread, etc. I'm not as strict obviously with them as I am myself. I buy the Barilla Plus pasta instead of white pasta, whole grain breads, etc. You're teaching them healthy habits that will stick with them!! You can do it!

LOL @ growing up on fish sticks and tuna casserole!! I agree that it's a change for the long haul... no quick fixes!

Actually potatoes are quite good for you and you can incorporate variety into your diet. It's when you slather them with butter, salt, and sour cream that they aren't so good for you.

I agree about the potatoes. Obviously you can't slather them with butter and sour cream and french fries are not the best choice, but red skin potatoes either steamed or roasted are excellent and definitely sweet potatoes are clean

Heidi

Oh yeah, sweet potatoes are a favorite of mine!! But even though I know potatoes are *ok* after not eating them for so long I just can't bring myself to eat them! Besides, they aren't as good not covered in sour cream & butter! :9

Yukon Gold!! Our family's favorite potato. I use them for mashed potatoes with a little milk and salt. And yes, a tiny bit of butter - I'm not in competition and life is too short. They ARE yellow mashed potatoes which sometimes gets strange looks but they are so creamy and yummy.

When I make baked potatoes I top mine with salsa and a baked chicken breast - delicious!

mmmmmm! I have done a chicken breast with salsa and yogurt on top of a sweet potato as well. But I'm on my way to Kate's house for some mashed 'tatoes. (BTW, congrats on #3!)

If your kids are missing mashed potatoes, you can steam some cauliflower until soft, mash it up, then add fixings. Tastes remarquably like mashed potatoes.

And I agree with others : it's not a short-term 'diet,' but a lifestyle change. Once you get used to avoiding the 'white' stuff, it won't look appealing to you at all.

I can't believe that as a kid, I thought white bread was great, and hated whole-grain breads. Now, when I see mushy, soft and squooshy white bread, it is so unappealing.

Thanks for your input. My husband now wants to jump on board and he's worse than the kids! It is motivating though when the weight is just dropping off and you are still eating great food. I don't have a lot to lose, but that is a bonus. It's now a complete week and I feel great! So much more energy! Again, thanks.

That Barilla Plus pasta is great! DH doesn't care for whole wheat pasta, but he really likes this stuff.

I recall Wonder bread....eeeew! I have to say that after gradually easing into brown rice I don't care for the white stuff ;)

I don't eat white bread these days but I buy it for my DH and I have to say that I still want it! I'm sorry but peanutbutter on wheat bread just isn't the same!:p

>I recall Wonder bread....eeeew!

When I was in grade school, my girl scout troup went to the Master's bakery in Minneapolis for a field trip, and we each got a 'fresh-baked' loaf of bread to take home. On the bus on the way back, we got into a 'bread fight,' taking slices of the bread and mushing them into balls to throw at each other. (The last time I had white bread, that's what it felt like in my gut : a ball of pasty dough that made me nauseated).

Kathryn, I was reading the first post about the white bread and immediately thought of when I was little and in Brownies - we took a tour of the Rainbo Bread factory in Fresno. I remember I ate the whole loaf on the way home! That is too funny you thought of the same experience!

And I recall lobbing bread balls at a passing car (filled with kids I didn't like) when I was a teenager. Don't try that at home ;)

Kathryn,

I was just going to post a message regarding using cauliflower in place of mashed potatoes. You beat me to it! LOL!

Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.