CTX Form Question (kinda-sorta)

lounsbury

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

Love the CTX Series... Step & Intervals is my favorite. I have a question about the chest work. When I did this, I really had a problem feeling it in my chest. I normally do chest work slower, using 10 lb. dumbbells, and on an inclined bench (I seem to feel it more on an incline); the work is definitely in my chest that way. With the CTX chest work, I used 8 lb. dumbbells (also subbed dumbbells for the barbell), kept my bench level, and went at the pace of the video. Believe it or not, I was the most sore in my triceps over the next two days. I also felt the work in my triceps more during the chest work. I'm thinking of either slowing down the moves by half or switching to a lighter weight (although 5 lb. seems a bit light to me for chest work). If that doesn't work, I might try the 8-pounders at the slower pace with the bench inclined. Any suggestions?

Lynne

Lynne,

I had the same problem about a year ago. My boss told me to make sure that my shoulder blades and as much of the back of my shoulders keep as connected to bench as possible. As you push up think chest, chest, chest. Slowing down also helped me. Anyway, just my $.02, hope this helps.

Thanks Aimee

It's kind of weird. I wasn't having any problems feeling the work in my chest before... maybe slowing down the reps and focusing on the chest more will help. Thanks!

Lynne

Me too, Lynne

I always have trouble feeling chest work in my chest. My arms and shoulders get tired first.

I do what Aimee suggested with keeping my shoulder blades squeezed together and it has helped a little. I also take Aimee's good advice to think, chest, chest chest.

Despite all that, I've learned that I feel it more in my chest when I incline my bench. I just did CTX chest work this morning and decided I'm going to try it with an incline bench next time and see how I like it.

Isn't it funny how we're all doing the same exercise and yet it feels so different?

Chest Presses

Lynne, I just did PS CST... and I heard Cathe say that you should keep your arms at a 90 degree angle when you bring your bar down... they should look like goal posts.... use a wider than shoulder width grip.... I tried doing that and not letting my bar hit my chest.... slow controlled movements..... I'm not sure if it worked.... I still felt my arms dong most of the work... Next time, I'll have to try to make sure my shoulders are flat on that bench and not lifting along with my arms... and think Chest, Chest, Chest....

Right now my shoulders and triceps feel sort of sore but not my chest!

Lydia

Chest work

That was the first tape that I did and my chest was sore for three days! I have never been that sore from chest work. Not even after MIS......

When I do flies and presses, I really concentrate on my chest muscles. I try to not even think about anything else working but my chest and I really squeeze my pecs together.

You may already be doing this....but that works for me!

I forgot one more thing

Cathe said in PS CST---- not to lower the barbell too far down... or else your incorporate more shoulders... I really need to ask her and Pat Kelly about my form during chest work at the Cathe Trip .... I do feel chest work more during Pec flyes... I can really concentrate on flexing my chest during this exercise....

I'll be doing BodyMax next week... it'll be interesting how the chest work will feel with fast reps... and how difficult it'll be to concentrate and flex...

Lydia

What helps me...

Is to think about "pulling" with my chest, as opposed to pushing w/my arms. Would this help you?
Apryl
happy.gif

Thanks for the additional tips!

I kinda blew my workout schedule last week, so I haven't done Step & Intervals again yet, but I'll be doing that chest work tomorrow morning (provided I get my butt out of bed!
wink.gif
) and I'll keep all your tips in mind! Thanks again!

Lynne

Hi Lynne!

I just finished reading this thread. I agree with the "think chest, chest, chest" concept 100%. Also, I would slow the exercise down and go heavier (or stay with the same weight).

Remember, everyones body mechanics are different. Its always good to try new things in order to vary your routine but if after you have given a new technique/program a fair try and you find that another angle/exercise works much better for you, than definitely use what works!!!

Good Luck!

It worked!

On Tuesday, I stayed with the same weight, slowed down a bit, focused on the chest area and also put my bench on an incline. Definitely felt it in the chest that time! Thanks so much!
happy.gif

Lynne

RE trouble with triceps

Hi Cathe. First of all I love your tapes..I have been using the pure strength series for about 5 months, Max intensity and now began using the latest series. six pack and circuit max...they are awesome..my problem is that, although I am in great shape, tone lower body, chest and back pretty well, I seem to need more intense work on my triceps...I have recently dropped body fat and am happy but, I have a problem with my triceps...my biceps and shoulders are fine, I just need to know how often I need to do tricep work to define and tighten them...they waddle...and appear flabby...unacceptable....please help...thankyou...

RE trouble with triceps

Hi Cathe. First of all I love your tapes..I have been using the pure strength series for about 5 months, Max intensity and now began using the latest series. six pack and circuit max...they are awesome..my problem is that, although I am in great shape, tone lower body, chest and back pretty well, I seem to need more intense work on my triceps...I have recently dropped body fat and am happy but, I have a problem with my triceps...my biceps and shoulders are fine, I just need to know how often I need to do tricep work to define and tighten them...they waddle...and appear flabby...unacceptable....please help...thankyou...

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.