cross post: C/s scar and abdominal pullind during exercises

JulieL

Cathlete
I've yet to call dr about this, but thought maybe there are some of you who've had this experiance:

When I do ab exercises by my scar on the left side it pulls. I've been trying to lay off lower stuff (bicycles and such) to keep the tension off. Well I've been able to planks ok but yesterday even those were pulling in that area. I usually work the abs every other day or so. Is this a big deal you think, and need to stop all lower exercises? or do I just go slow and build up the muscle slowly?

Julie, I had a c/s so long ago, almost nine years, and I forget! I remember some pulling, but I don't remember when or how long it lasted. I know that it will take quite a while for it to heal since so many layers of tissue and muscle have been cut. I am so sorry that I can't tell you anything more! :( I do know that it didn't bother me a year after DD (as if it helps right now :p ).

I might call the doctor just to get his opinion, honestly. But I would think that if you feel something pulling, take it easy. Good luck!

Missy

Well it has been almost 18 years since mine. I had my son in March, and mid April I started playing softball, and I remember having a pulling through most of the summer. It slowly got better though. I would ask your Doc just to be safe, but it probably is OK.

Julie:
I had the last of 4 kids 13 years ago and he was cesarean after 3 natural births!
I remember feeling those stitches pull for a couple of years after the surgery especially when I was exercising or laying on my tummy.
It should eventually be less and less and then disappear.

Paula

My daughter Sarah is now 10. When I had my c/s I asked the Dr. why one side hurt more than the other. He said that was the side the head came out of, so it's going to hurt more. Does it start to bother you right away or while you have been exercising for a while? Mine was on the left side also. Maybe extra stretching in that specific area?

That's interesting - and makes sense, it hurts sometimes usually only during abdominal work. I hope it goes away as my abs need some work!}(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.