Cricut machine (not exercise related)

sancho

Cathlete
Does anyone have a Cricut Machine (it's a personal paper cutter that does millions of shapes) ? I'm thinking of getting one. Joann's has good prices right now. Just wanted to get info from someone that has owned and/or used one.

Thanks,

Lauren

I have the Cricut Expression machine. I love it. I did use my machine primary for my fitness related needs.;) I used it to add quotes in my workout room.
I chose the Expression over the other sized machines because you can insert a 12 x 18 cutting mat. This size mat is great for large designs or phrases that need to be cut all at once.

My kids use it to cut letters, shapes and whatever for school projects. It's very easy to use. There are many uses for it.

The font cartridges can get expensive. So, I chose to purchase a program called Sure Cuts A Lot (SCAL). You download the program to your computer.

There are hundreds of fonts, plus many stock shapes with SCAL. This program also allows me to use my own designs or import files as long as I convert them using a drawing/editing program. This was my primary need to justify purchasing the Cricut.

This program also let's you see the lettering in full size on the computer monitor before cutting. Without it you only see 1 letter at a time on the Cricut machine. SCAL lets me change, skew, flip, delete, add or change font within each word or design. You aren't able to this with cartridges. Very liitle flexibillity.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I'm debating the little one vs. the expression. The little one is only $85 at Joanne's right now and the big one is $250. I'm not a scrapbooker, but my kids love to be creative and I just see so much fun from this. I saw that program (SCAL) you mentioned on YouTube. I'm glad to get verification from someone that isn't benefitting from it that it's a good program. Once you have that program, though, you still need to buy cartridges for shapes and stuff . . . right? Or are you able to design everything you want with SCAL. I don't mind the $250 initial outlay, but those cartridges are expensive. I can't be buying 5 of those also !!!

Oh, what to do, what to do.

My neighbor is trying to get me to buy her small one (she updated to the expressions). I have had several people tell me that the bigger one is worth it. There are some things that the bigger one can do that the smaller one can't. I think you should save your money and get the bigger one. I was also looking at the silhoette(sp?). It cuts smoother lines. It will be interesting to see what others have to say. :)

I've never heard of this other one Silhouette ????

I put the Expression on hold at Joann's so I can buy it tomorrow. HUGE splurge, but I'm going to give it to my 10 year old twins for their birthday from their aunt (who is so wonderfully generous). I feel a bit guilty because I want it more than they do. But I think once they have it, they will love it. I just don't want to spend all that money on DS and Wii games. And hey, at least I'm not spending their money on exercise videos.

If there was a Pokemon cartridge, THEN they'd be into it.

Yes, SCAL has many shapes. You will need 1 cartridge to activate the machine reader. I think you get 1 with the purchase of the machine, anyways.

The shapes aren't all simple, either. There's plenty for kids and adults. There's even a dumbbell shape.:) Dingbats are listed under fonts and those have even more shapes. I don't exactly recall, but I think each font also carries more shapes and designs.

There are forums on how to use the SCAL program. People have created shapes or words which are broken down into categories. You can save any design you like and then bring it up in SCAL. SO much cheaper than buying the entire cartridge to the one shape you needed from it.

Yes, SCAL has many shapes. You will need 1 cartridge to activate the machine reader. I think you get 1 with the purchase of the machine, anyways.

The shapes aren't all simple, either. There's plenty for kids and adults. There's even a dumbbell shape.:) Dingbats are listed under fonts and those have even more shapes. I don't exactly recall, but I think each font also carries more shapes and designs.

There are forums on how to use the SCAL program. People have created shapes or words which are broken down into categories. You can save any design you like and then bring it up in SCAL. SO much cheaper than buying the entire cartridge to the one shape you needed from it.

Awesome! So good to know. Thanks for the info.

Here is the site for the silhoette http://www.silhouettemachine.com/ You use it with your computer so you can use any fonts you have. I am still trying to decide between the two.

Ohhh, I can see the dilemma. I looked at some blogs that compare the two and now I'm a bit confused also. They each have their benefits. I'm mostly wanting to use it with my kids for their art projects, so I'm thinking the Expression will be better because it's easier to use. But, the whole cartridge thing is EXPENSIVE !!!! I'm hoping that the two cartridges it comes with are enough to keep the kids happy for awhile. Eventually, I'll look into buying the SCAL software.

If this was just for me, I might lean more to the Silhouette.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.