Completed First Marathon!!

powergirl

I DID IT!! completed my first marathon on Saturday. It took me over 5 hours to complete but thats OK cause all I wanted to do was make it!!!! I became very emotional when I was on the final stretch. My husband who has supported me throughout all the months of training giving me encouragement and pep talks started running with me a few feet from the finish line. I was in so much pain and so fatigued that my emotions broke and I started to cry. It was the most glorious feeling crossing that finish line. An experience I will never forget.

Congratulations! Wow! That is awesome! Simply awesome!!! How long did you train? What type of training did you do? I just found out that there is a half marathon this August that is going to be run blocks from my house, I'd like to try, but I have been running about 3 times in my whole life! If you don't mind sharing your regiment or where to get a good training schedule, I'd love to see if I can do it too (just a half one mind you). I'm so proud of you - what an accomplishment!!!!

Good for you! That is awesome! I hope your hubby took pictures. ? Wow, way to go. I bet you're glad it's over for now though! Keep up the good work!!
-Connie

Congratulations! That must have been an awesome feeling. I enjoyed even hearing you describe it!

So are you addicted now?

HI Jilly Bean

I started training in October and at that time only ran 2 to 3 miles twice a week (and even that was hit and miss). My best friend in Pensacola Florida, who had been training for a year, was going to run the Blue Angle marathon and I thought - I'll just train for the half and run part of the way with her. I live about 5 hours away and did not have a group of training buddies like she had so I bought this wonderful book - The Non-Runners's Marathon Trainer by David A. Whitsett. It has a 10 week preliminary training program for people who never run and the 16 week marathon training. I jumped in at the 4th week point. After I got up to 10 miles on my long run I realized I still had plenty of time to train for the marathon so I went for it. The book explains everything you will need to know. I can't stress enough how great this book is. I bought it used off Amazon.com.
Let me know if you decide to train for the half, I'll support you all the way. GOOD LUCK!!

Oh my gosh!!!!!!!!! This was the best post EVER! I purchased that book you used a couple of months ago and I'm waiting for the weather to cooperate (here in Minnesota) so I can get started on the training program. I'm hoping to run a 1/2 marathon in Duluth in June and continue with the training schedule for the Twin Cities marathon in October. It's great to know that you enjoyed the book and that it worked for you. YIPPEE.....Your post was a great incentive to continue on my goal!

Congrats!!! I had tears in my eyes when you were talking about your husband joining you......my husband thinks I'm nuts but I think he'll be a huge supporter, too.

Congrats again!!!!

Marcia

You ROCK Powergirl!!! What a fitting username!! I won't ask you how it felt physically as I think I can imagine. The farthest I have ever ran/hiked was 10.5 miles and every time I do it my legs get that bogged down feeling towards the end!! I think it would be cool to run a marathon, but truthfully I don't really want to give up my Cathe workouts to train for it, so I will stick with the half. I think the half marathon is a healthier choice anyway...maybe someday...or I would do a marathon in around 7 or 8 hours!!:)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

Janice

Congrats and way to go! I recently bought that same book that you recommended to Jillybean and I really like it to. I like that it focuses so much on the mental training aspect of running a marathon, which is the biggest hurdle for me, I think. I'd love to run a marathon someday as well. I am planning to begin building up my mileage very slowly, so I don't hurt myself. My husband is afraid for me to do this - he thinks that it would be extremely punishing on the body - which is why I want to take my time and build up very slowly. So maybe someday I can make an exciting post like yours! Congratulations again!

Rhonda

Congratulations!! What an achievement! You should be so proud! That is a "dream " of mine and I hope one day to go for it. I'll probably wait til both children are in school though(2 years) :) I'm happy for you. I always find it amazing that someone can finish one of those! Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.