[[[[[ clean & tidy weekend ]]]]]

I woke up stressed, and I need your HELP!

I have decided to throw my mom a surprise 60th birthday party. It will be held at her church (which is out of town for me, about 2 hours away) and I am thinking of a Sunday afternoon, about 3 o'clock. I have spoken with some of her closest friends and they are willing to help with the surprise factor and such. I have never thrown a surprise party, especially one of this size (most likely 75-100 guests). I am trying to figure out what kind of food to serve and how to decorate - without breaking the bank. Her favorite color is lime green, so I will use lime green, white, maybe some pink for the decorations. Of course there will be birthday cake, but I'm lost on the rest of the food. I could go with the ole standby fruits, veggies and dip, nuts, etc. but I would like it to be somewhat creative (again, without it costing a fortune). I'm not sure whether to order food and pick it up in her town, my town, or just try to do all the food myself (and transport it 2 hours, another stressor!).

Any advice??

good morning!

katie, i was stressed just reading your post! as for advice, and this is just me, i saw do something fun and creative that is your speciatly, like the dessert, but buy the rest to save your sanity. heck, even pizzas! but i think some of the wholesale clubs have kind of cool appitizer thingies in the freezer section, and i bet the church has a good kitchen, so you could get it all ahead of time and prep there. but maybe a really special dessert from you? and i think target is great for decorations. you are so sweet.

anne, good luck with the fam . i hope it goes well. and btw, you are really making me wish i had sts strength, again:p

kate, great day for you yday!

klaudia, have fun atthe game.

wendy, have a good trip. how long is it again?

becky, awesome wo!

robin, i really need new weight dvds. i find myself freestyling it a lot b/c i am bored.

hi clintonya, colleen, and amanda.

dh and i had date night last night. dinner was at the moss fire grill - mexican flare. i had a big salad with grilled tuna and the most amazing fire roasted salsa on top. then we saw leap year. seriously, the first movie i have seen in probably 4 yrs. it was kind of dumb, but it felt decadant to sit uninterrupted and just zone out! yday i ended up doing some weights too, so today i really need to swim, or do ccc. i am not sore from my run, and thankfully my leg does not hurt and is not tight. i plan to keep running every other day for at least the next week. eats were 90% yday - 2 cookies found their way to me in the afternoon, but they were kashi;) bbl

katie, if your moms friends are helping then why not do it semi-potluck? i find the simplest way to organize it is to take care of the drinks and main course myself. try simple,relatively universal things like baked chicken or veg lasagna. i would order this from somplace near the party to be delivered rather than trekking it yourself as you will have enough to trek. then have her friends bring sides and desserts. really the only tricky part is keeping the pulse on what sides are coming so you have veggies and green salads and not just rice and potatoes and such. and this way you can still make a cpl things that are your specialty, as nina said, like a dessert or two, a side dish she likes. and target has great, trendy colored decorations (like lime green!). good luck!

nina, nice date night! you so deserved that! i cant remember the last time i saw a movie either =) gladyou are able to run, even if less often.

taking power this morning but skipping my beloved KB class that follows. there is music at the library today and JJ loves music... ah, the things we do for our kiddos =) we also went to tot shabbat service last night and as expected, he really enjoyed singing with the cantor but whenever she was talking or reading a story, he wanted to run around the temple. lol. we stayed abt 30 mins of the 45 min service and then met my grandparents for dinner. it was NOT clean. i dont even think i had a chance at that place, jewish comfort food stuff. next time i pick the restaurant!

b was oatmeal, apples, pecans. and of course my coffee with skim and a lil sugar. cant skip that EVER.

Morning!

Got to sleep in til 8:30 this morning:) Last night was fun, but made me realize I'm officially too old for the bar! Today's another busy one with the christening this afternoon and the b-ball game tonight. I think today will be my rest day-I'm all sorts of sore and I'm sure the DOMS from yesterday's back/tricep workout will be setting in soon. Tomorrow will be cardio and abs.

Katie, my dad turns 60 in March and I was just talking to Darrin about doing something for his birthday! I think I may just have our close family and a few friends over for dinner:) I wish I had the money for something bigger:( I like Nina's idea-heck, get $5 pizzas from Little Ceasar's and make salad and dessert:)

Nina, I wish I had your willpower when eating out-I had chips and guac and 2 beers last night! And two cookies when I came home! Let's just say my tummy did NOT approve! Glad you got to enjoy some uniterrupted quality time with dh:)

Wendy, that sounds like a great night! I have the Deal Delights Classics cookbook-it's all kosher recipes and the desserts-omg! I need to try some soon:) Have fun at the library:)

morning everyone ;) still trying to wake up and figure out what im going to do today. was supposed to go to the dentist but i think im going to reschdule my appt. today will probably be cardio most likely kickbox and maybe i'll try travel fit. it looks like it will rain here in cali today , but that is okay i love the rain

Katie, if the cost isn’t too much of a factor and/or if you can find something reasonable (like maybe the pot luck Wendy mentioned), I agree with the ordering out as much as you can just so you will be able to enjoy it too :)

Nina, glad you had a good night out – it can be so relaxing just knowing you don’t have to worry about what the kids are doing :)

Wendy, that is wonderful about jj enjoying the service at that age!

Klaudia, glad you had fun out last night:) I so enjoyed my rest day last week!

Amanda, hope you have a great workout today :) It is finally a pretty good day here – temps will be in the upper 50s, but it is supposed to storm tonight.

Today is disc 6, legs. I feel like I already worked my legs yesterday :confused::)

Hi to Becky, Anne, Kate, Colleen, Robin, Angie, & Lisa. Hope everyone has a great day! Will bbl.

Clintonya

had a great power class, lovely music at the library, walked outside 5 mins and guess what, SURPRISE... snoozeville for the JJ-monster in stroller. think i will stop for a salad and maybe a coffee and then walk some more.

nina, you asked how long my trip was. we'll be there 5 nights, 4 full days for the parks. you should think about going - the mil deals are unbelievable right now! if you want more info just let me know.

clintonya, have a great workout! we are so looking forward to disney!

amanda, where in cali are you? you might have already said and i forgot, sorry. we will be there end of march thru sept it looks like.

klaudia, that cookbook sounds like it would be a disaster for me, lol! jewish comfort food (really comfort food in general) is so calorie laden and heavy. thats what "comforts" ppl? hmmm. i tend to lighten up even the family classics like salmon loaf, pot roast or stuffed cabbage. but those might be more BOSTON comfort food than jewish, lol, not sure abt that!

Hi Everyone!

Crazy busy morning this morning. Got up and helped DH clean up his closet, then to Costco and then workout (STS Disc 6). I am wiped out. I was hoping for a more relaxing morning but I am glad we got some things done. Hopefully, I can get some rest this afternoon.

Klaudia, don't you hate that too old feeling at bars. Have fun today!
Wendy, great walk! The extra walking will make up for missing kb class.
Amanda, rainy days are great for staying in.
Clintonya, we are supposed to get the rain too. Looks like tomorrow will be a day in.
Katie, I would have your mom's party as a potluck. It is really stressful traveling with a lot of food for a party. You can make something special for your mom.
Nina, I am glad you had a nice evening out. There aren't very many good movies to see right now.
Hi everyone else! Have a wonderful Saturday!

Hey ladies. I love Saturdays! I slept to 7:15 which is great for me.

Katie great idea to have a party for your mom and don't forget the fried chicken. Some of her close friends from church may want to make a large dish of something like peas and rice, veggies etc. I agree with Nina use the church's kitchen if you can because many thing can be cook the night before and reheated, like baked chicken, ham.

Nina you dinner last night sounds so good.

Wendy LOL run around the temple...boys

Klaudia good going with DOMS enjoy your game.

Clintonya don't you love this weather. I can't wait until summer because I need a tan.

Did my w/o this morning HITT 40/20 and CLX lean 3. I really liked this HIIT, much easier to modify. Took kids to get eye exam and my insurance covers my DD contacts for 1 year YAY. Saved me about $160.

Colleen you did enough for one whole day, you can take the rest of the day off.;)

Angie are you studying-max?

Amanda rain is a good excuss to stay inside and rest.

swim and ccc sone - it felt great. i cannot wait to run tomorrow.

robin, horray for the sleep in!!

colleen, you did have a busy morning. hope your weekend alows for relaxing.

wendy, hope your lunch out was good.

clintonya, enjoy the warmer weather. it is raining here - goood to be in the pool;)

amanda, i have not opened travel fit yet. let me know what you think

klaudia, enjoy a rest day. i hate the bar scene:rolleyes:

eats are clean and better stay that way!

Hi gals. I need some clean eating ideas. Mind if I try to join in?

b: two eggs, scrambled + coffee
s: 2 oz mixed nuts + diet pop
l: protein smoothie
s: Roast Beef/Cheese wrap (roast beef is shell, horseradish in inside)
d: two eggs, slice meatloaf
s: Sliced pork on low-carb tortilla plus veggies & milk

Workout was Amy Bento's hi/low Knockout

I have about 15 lbs to lose postpartum

Popping in for a quick hello -

getting great WOs and super clean eats too

Katie, Maybe just do a party around 2PM and serve cake and finger foods/desserts. No one would be expecitng a full meal at that time. Saves you a ton of time AND moolah!

Kate, that is what I am leaning towards. But, I might not be able to get the room until about 3 pm, so if the party goes until 6 or so, will people be expecting more? I definitely want to have a fabulous cake (several tiers) but what kinds of finger foods? I was thinking maybe stuff like chicken salad cups with grapes, cheese straws, spinach dip and baugette, etc.

Thanks for all the suggestions ladies! I am excited but nervous too!

hi ladies - just poppin in. making spanish style rice with brown rice, hopeit comes out ok. plus im grilling chicken and veggies on the gridder. lunch ended up being with a friend and she wanted to split a pizza. WHY oh why cant i say NO to these things =( wasnt very good, either, totally not worth it. so now thats twice this weekend that ive fallen off the wagon. must run and jump on theback before it gets away!!!!!

Hi gals. I need some clean eating ideas. Mind if I try to join in?

b: two eggs, scrambled + coffee
s: 2 oz mixed nuts + diet pop
l: protein smoothie
s: Roast Beef/Cheese wrap (roast beef is shell, horseradish in inside)
d: two eggs, slice meatloaf
s: Sliced pork on low-carb tortilla plus veggies & milk

Workout was Amy Bento's hi/low Knockout

I have about 15 lbs to lose postpartum

we'd love u yo join in!

bb after nursemax!

Did I say clean eats??!! pffffffffffft! I totally bombed after dinner and I am so freaking mad at myself for it. Will I never learn!?!?!:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Tracey's new KB WO on tap tonight. Good news is my abs are wicked sore from the other day and so is my chest. Not like it matters with the way I ate tonight. grrrrrrr

Wendy, Sorry abt your pizza happening. I can more than relate tonight. And I've been doing soooo good. Tmrw - clean eats - no excuses!

Katie, Make the party 3:30 - 5:30 and specify on the invites "dessert/crudites" somehow. Your finger foods sound great! Wish I could come help you!

Melanie, You are kicking butt and taking names in your PP quest! You will motivate US!!:D

NIna, Great WOs, as always!

Robin, Nice WOs for you too!

Colleen, Did you get some relaxing in?

Clintonya, How are them legs feelin'?! :D

Becky, That cake turned out fabu!

Klaudia, Are you making it thru your crazy day?!?

Last edited:
Quick check-in before bed - busy day, wo is done, legs are feeling it, actually my whole body is! Eating has been clean today, but ate too much! Tomorrow is a new day, right? Hope everyone has a good night and will be back tomorrow.

Clintonya

Clintonya, Glad you had a good day! :)

-
My WO is done and I is a sweaty girl! :D There are some combos where the cueing is a little *meh* but I suppose if I keep at it I will get it. About halfway thru I wasn't feelin' the love anymore but I pushed thru, found some great energy and kicked some butt.:cool: Overall I liked it and suspect I'll love it more when I know itmore. The music was really good!

Sunday is church & fam time. More company. EATS WILL BE CLEAN!!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.