Clean Eating Tips and Tricks?

Nadja Z

Cathlete
I eat relatively healthy, but don't consider myself a "clean eater", i.e. I eat mostly frozen veggies, eggs, beans, high fiber cereals, etc. but don't attempt to limit my intake of processed foods. (I put sugar-free creamer in my tea, eat canned soup, etc.) Sorry, you guys are probably wincing at that.

So here's my question:
Do you guys have any tips on making clean eating easier? I know the basic premise of what I should and shouldn't eat (salt r.i.p., I know ;(), but I'm just looking for tips on how to make it more convenient. For example, I like to make a huge batch of wild rice and freeze it in 1 cup portions. I also cook chicken breast in advance and freeze it. I slice and freeze bananas to add to yogurt. etc,etc.

I'm a very routine-oriented eater. I find stuff I like and eat it over and over again; I'm not really into figuring out new and exciting meals on a regular basis. So...I know you guys are out there. What sort of ingenious things are you doing to make your clean eating ships run smoothly? Thanks in advance!

Nadja

I wouldn't call it ingenious but I pre-cook soups, chilies and stews, put them in portion-size foodsaver baggies and freeze them. If I don't feel like cooking, I just throw them in boiling water and dinner is ready in a few minutes.

Every week I get a big basket of organic produce from the buyer's club I am a member off, I wash and cut the lettuce right away and store it in a food container in the fridge. I also make my favorite salad dressing in a large batch that lasts for the whole week. I always keep grilled chicken or boiled eggs in the fridge. That way I can throw together a salad for lunch or dinner in a matter of minutes.

I also started pre-cooking oatmeal in big batches, put it in portion-size foodsaver baggies and freeze it.

Geeh, which reminds me, I need an extra freezer I am running out of space ;-)

When I get my weekly organic produce delivery on Saturday, I cut up and prepare as much as possible ahead of time which saves me time during the week.

HTH, I am also curious to find out what other people are doing.

>I wouldn't call it ingenious but I pre-cook soups, chilies
>and stews, put them in portion-size foodsaver baggies and
>freeze them. If I don't feel like cooking, I just throw them
>in boiling water and dinner is ready in a few minutes.

>Geeh, which reminds me, I need an extra freezer I am running
>out of space ;-)
>

I like the soup idea, I get a dry mix from our local co-op called '32 bean and vegetable soup' :9. I just don't know how I could enjoy soup without loads of sodium in it, other than forcing myself to go cold turkey for maybe a month or so until my tastebuds adapt. I'm a total salt junkie.

I have a separate freezer the same size as my fridge. I can't imagine where I would put everything without it! I freeze mass amounts of blueberries, strawberries, and raspberries (from my yard) for smoothies. Yum.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.

Back