Circuit Max vs. Boot Camp

dlsc

Cathlete
If anyone has both: how does CM compare to BC in intensity? CM looks very doable and fun where as BC looks scary hard. :eek: I want to get a new vhs/dvd to do often, however BC looks like I would only do a couple times a month (if that) Any opinions are appreciated.:)

Linda

Hi Linda,

I love both workouts. They are both interval training, and as far as the weights go, I think they are about equal in intensity and giving your muscles a workout. The cardio intervals in CM are longer (5 min; in BC they are 1 min.) but the BC cardio intervals, for the most part, are super intense for that 1 minute. I agree that BC has the "scare factor" and CM doesn't--CM is alot of fun, but still a good workout. The only thing I do not like about CM is that, for me personally, I do not feel that it works my abs enough, so I usually add an abs segment from another workout, or a Coremax section, when I am done with CM. The ab/core work in BC is fantastic, and I love the results you see with it.

I hope that helps. I don't think you can go wrong with either!

Dukechick :)

Linda,

I don't have CM but I do love Bootcamp. I just wanted to say don't be afraid of it. I was when I previewed it, but you have to do it yourself. You'll love it...it's awesome for the entire body!:)

I have them both and love them both! I think CM is just so much fun with the hi / lo sections! I would agree that the BC cardio sections are more intense and the CM ones are longer. But I sweat buckets to both of them - and I agree - don't be afraid of BC. You can do it - the real question is - can you do it twice in a row!!}(

Lorrie

Another comment on Circuit Max (assuming I'm remembering it correctly) is that the weight segments focus more on upper body. You do compound moves, but I never really feel any burn in my lower body compared to in my upper body which does get that nice burn feeling. You can compare this to Boot Camp, which does a minute of upper and a minute of lower during each circuit. If I'm wrong about CM, I hope someone chimes in to correct me.

Shelbygirl

It's very easy to modify CM if you want to completely fatigue your lower body so that you have zilch energy left when you are done.
Instead of doing the 2 mins upper body compound moves with weights, grab your barbell loaded to 30 pounds or whatever you like and pump out lunges, squats, plie squats continuously for the 2 min period. Grab dumbells for other 2 mins weight periods and do lunges onto the step and lunges off the step, as seen in CTX Power Circuit and MIS. THis way, you are working the whole time, and believe me, because you are fatiguing the legs more, it gets tougher and tougher to get through that cardio! It's a real challenge, and i love it. I do this often and always in this way, whereas I do Bootcamp once a year. It may be an overall stamina challenge, but for me, the weight training is not very effective. It's endurance rather than strength.

If that's what you want, then great. But I don't see the point in working the upper body for endurance. The lower body, yes, which is why I do CM the way I do.

In the end, it all comes down to personal preference. Don't let anyone fool you into thinking that CM is easy and BC is tough. Tough is what you make it and where you find it.

Clare

CM was my intro to circuit workouts and I loved it! Then came BC, and it's now my favorite circuit workout!!! I agree with the above poster who said that BC seems to work the lower body more (or at least I feel it more), and I like how every exercise is broken down into very doable one-minute segments. I just tried the "Everything But Core" premix this morning and couldn't believe how much faster the workout seemed to fly by! (I tacked on the Core Only premix at the end).

Plus, if you do get BC on DVD, you also get Muscle Endurance, which is an awesome endurance workout! And you can't go wrong with all of the premixes (I'm not sure what the CM DVD has to offer as I only have the VHS version).

HTH,
Cleo

Circuit Max DVD also has Cardio Kicks on it.

IMHO, C-Max has the edge over Boot Camp for cardio training. And, the fun factor is SO there with Circuit Max's cardio choreography (and don't worry - if I can master its choreography anyone can). However, anyone who tries to get me to part with EITHER of those DVDs has a real appetite for danger.

Get BOTH DVDs. The premixes on the BC-ME DVD especially are great.

A-Jock

Thanks for the opinions - just what I needed to make my decision of CM/CK. I have 19 Cathe w/os and I love everyone of them, some I use more than others, there is not one that I don't like. It's because of the great advise from this forum. Thanks again!

Linda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.