Christy Taylor

ReneePruitt

Cathlete
Hello ladies I have been looking for some more step workouts. I know I have all of Cathe now. I'm looking for more for a different change of pace. I'm intermediate I think. I was looking at he DVDs they seem doable and Fun. I like the music that I heard on the clips. ( that's y I loved Cathe also)
Has anyone tried her? Is it fun? Can it get heart rate up? I am hoping to find something to get my heart rate medium to high but low high and hold it for a while ... steady state. I like step moves and wondered if she is comparable. Oh I like step jump and pump and step blast. Low max... is she like these?

Last edited:
I love Christi Taylor's stuff. Of the Cathe workouts you mentioned you like, I also like Rhythmic Step and Step Blast. But I don't like either of those nearly as much as I like Christi's step workouts (or hi-lo for that matter.)

Cathe's cardio is not complex for the most part, though the above two workouts are more complex than most of her stuff.

Christi's workouts are generally more complex than Cathe's, but more steady state in terms of intensity. There aren't blasts thrown in here or there, and they are generally easy to modify the impact if you need to. Most of Christi's workouts are moderate impact to begin with.

Christi usually shows a modifier or two showing less complex movements.

Christi cues ahead of the move rather than right as you're doing the move, so IMO it's much easier to follow her choreography, even though it's trickier than Cathe's.

I would start with Step Heaven, Solid Gold Step, or Still Steppin'. I also love her newest--Totally Cool Step 2.

I think Christi is the queen of step workouts. I love her stuff. I also love Seasun Zieger--great choreography from her, too...

I've never enjoyed Christi's videos, but I do like Seasun Zieger. Her stuff is complex and it's a good idea to preview her videos before attempting them, but I find them to be really fun once you catch on.

I'm a big fan of Patrick Goudeau as well (for step), but his step videos are tough to find. They are more steady state.

I also really really like Tracey Staehle's step. Step Sweatfest, Steady State Step, and High Intensity Step Mix 2 are among my absolute favorite videos. (Step Sweatfest and High Intensity Step Mix 2 have intervals, but they are moderate and don't slay me like the Imaxes or Intensity from Cathe.)

If you do like Christi Taylor, you might like Gay Gasper. She's more moderate intensity than Seasun, Patrick, or Tracey.

Thankyou! I'm getting one! Lol great review! Those things you described are what I'm looking for. A little tricky step keeps my heart up I think and that sounds like the right amount of intensity. I need that once in awhile. High intensity every day gives me a headache literally! Lol thank you for answering. I love hearing good reviews it gets me excited

I'll chime in to say I too love Christy's step and hi/lo. Also, I tend to burn more calories doing her step workouts as opposed to, say, IMAX 3, for whatever reason.

Here is another one for Christi Taylor - she is a lot of fun and her cuing is excellent! She has great music and a lot of good energy. Her workouts, for me, are not as athletic as Cathe's, but also not as high impact. Also, she does a lot of TFT'ing (taking it from the top). This is great when you are learning (both step in general and a new routine) but can get old after awhile. Good steady state. I like the one the PP suggested - I would start with Solid Gold.

For other suggestions, I would also second another PP's recommendation for Seasun. She has some of the best music around for step, IMHO. Another one would be Amy Bento - she simply rocks for step! Great music, cuing, energy - but her step workouts are definitely athletic and tough, complete with high impact and intervals. Once you learn her choreo, her ASC2, 3 and 4 have some great premixes which include her "power up" sections - awesome!

Enjoy stepping!

Thanks every one. I am so glad I have more options! I have a feeling that Cathe may not b doing many more step dvds. Not sure and I hope that isn't the case. But it seems her directon is going more non step.. in that case I really needed some ideas. When I get home I will take a look at all of ur suggestions. I actually found a bought totally cool step by cristy yesterday because Amazon had it for.. get this! 5 dollars ! I was floored and had to grab that one.! I loved the music in that one. :).. ill let u know what one I end up buying today.

Thanks Elljay! Love it! Oh gawd..my DH is sooo gonna b disappointed lol. He is supportive but he is kinda tight and I'm frivolous in a way..I just so hard to be good lol.. wow the ones on fitness fx is cool. I'm using my phone now so I couldn't see if they had video clips. I will look on computer in yhe morning .. thank you! I think! Ok after this I can't spend anymore lol..

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.