Chiropractor for shin splints?

libra01971

Cathlete
I have horrible shin splints. I've been running for many years and get them constantly! I've tried everything from icing, massage therapy, orthotics, compression, rest for 6 weeks or more, new shoes, physical therapy, podiatrist, blah, blah, blah.... (Btw - A stress fracture was ruled out fairly recently although I realize it could still lead to that eventually) The only thing I haven't tried is custom orthotics but only because I've reached the point where I figure nothing will work so why dish out a ton of money?

Well, several distant friends have referred me to chiropractors. I blew it off because I'm not a big fan of chiros. I saw a chiropractor many, many years ago after a car accident and never felt like anything changed. Plus, I always thought that chiros more useful for back and neck issues. Recently, I saw someone on facebook make a comment on Cathe's page about a chiropractor fixing her shin splints. What do chiropractors do for shin splints? Anyone here ever had chronic shin splints successfully treated?? It makes me sad that something I love so much causes me so much pain!

On a side note - I guess I should include that I do have issues occasionally with my back and hip flexors. I realize it is possibly all related but I just hate the thought of weekly (or more frequent) PT visits. My lack of success with PTs and Chiropractors makes me very skeptical of them but I don't want to completely give up. There has to be something or someone to help me! :(

Tami (aka MaynardsMom) took her son during track season . I'm sure if she doesn't see this thread, she wouldn't mind you PMing her about it. It was very successful and I will take my daughter if she decides to run cross country as she was horribly afflicted with shinsplints last season!
Becky

Chiropractors are just people

Like any other group, you can find a good one or a bad one. I have had one of each. Don't let a bad experience with one chiropractor sour you on the whole profession. As for your shin splints, I'm so sorry you are fighting that. The only time I've experienced shin splints was when I was increasing milage. How much do those orthotics cost?

My chiropractor is actually working on plantar fascitis with me right now. He adjusts my ankles, which play a large part in that. Everything in your body ties together in such an incredible way, and that also includes your diet. So you might have tight quads, as a result of tight hip flexors, which could be causing your shin splints.

IOW, chiropractors focus on the whole body and adjustments there, rather than just the neck and back. And like another poster said, there are good ones and bad ones. Do your homework for sure. But a *good* chiropractor can be helpful, especially if you get a lot of details on why things are the way they are with your body, so you can work on them yourself.

I've been dealing with PF since last August and nothing has seemed to work. A friend of mine (just today infact) told me to go see a Chiro. I never thought to go see a chiro for this problem. I just hope my insurance pays for it. :confused:

I guess I should include that I do have issues occasionally with my back and hip flexors. I realize it is possibly all related but I just hate the thought of weekly (or more frequent) PT visits.

if it were me, i'd start with orthotics before going to a chiro -- which personally i would never visit, but that's just me. i can't imagine what a chiro would do for shin splints. shin splints are caused my inflammation of the muscles and tissues that surround the shins. usually shin splints are caused my overuse, poor shoes, or from overpronating. if it were me in your position i would try custom orthotics that treat overpronating. weak ankle muscles can cause it too -- the exercise in some of cathe's videos where you used a stability ball to strengthen the ankle and tibilais is perfect for strengthening this area and preventing shin splints.

have you increased your mileage, speed or distance lately? going too far too fast will cause shin splitns too.

There is a site posted by a chiropractor called shin splint solutions.
I was very sceptical about seeing a chiro and I think that it all depends on which one you pick. I had some serious muscle inflammation when we moved two years ago and went to see one then and it really helped! I would ask around and see if there is someone that is recommended. The one I go see now is great but the one that my husband went to see a while ago was a total quack.

He had us both come in and did a group boogie man talk that I should have walked out on and then tried to get us to sign up on pre payment plan for the whole family (at that time our kids were 1 and 3). The best part was he asked us to call him Dr. B.J. His whole name (I am not making this up) was Dr. B.J. Hardick. Needless to say we left before he ever put a hand on either of us or our children.

Sorry a little off topic but it is not very often that I get to bring up Dr. B.J!
Heather

I went to a chiropractor a few years ago for what turned out to be a very serious neck problem. He didn't do any sort of diagnosis, just started adjusting. After many treatments, I was a lot worse, in a lot more pain and then he did something to my leg that made it impossible for me to walk for a while. I was very skeptical before I went for the first treatment, but it was recommended by a massage therapist. I will never ever ever go to a chiropractor again for any reason.

I'm sorry to read of people having a bad experience with a chiropractor. I've had one bad one but I ADORE the ones we see now. I'm pretty much sure they can heal anything that is wrong with us!:D

The best part was he asked us to call him Dr. B.J. His whole name (I am not making this up) was Dr. B.J. Hardick.

Sorry a little off topic but it is not very often that I get to bring up Dr. B.J!
Heather

ROTFLMAO!!!!! :D:D:D I'm glad you don't get to bring up Dr. Hardick very often!!!!!

I've had one bad one but I ADORE the ones we see now. I'm pretty much sure they can heal anything that is wrong with us!:D

If your chiros are even trying to "heal anything that is wrong with us", they are probably acting outside their scope of practice. For instance, if they were trying to treat your heart disease, that would be treating outside of the scope of practice for chiros, and that is considered a very bad thing to do.

no, they're def not trying to do that!:D they are just very good at what they do. they treat the whole body, getting to the true cause of the problem, not just treating the symptom.

I did take my 14 ds to our family chiro (who is wonderful by the way - have also had a BAD :mad: one! He was to touchy felly but that's another thread) He actually went because his back had been hurting & we addressed the shin splints while we were there. He did take note that one leg was slightly shorter than the other. He also adviced him on how to deal with shin splints (ice, massage, etc) & he also told us what kind of shoe to use & the web-site. Of course I can't think of it right now - sorry. But it has seemed to help.
Ask around in your area to find a good one, makes all the difference in the world. Good luck

Hey Again

I asked my chiro about the shin splints and she suggested looking for a chiro that does Active muscle release. She said to look at the site " www.activerelease.com so they can see why the chiropractors that do ART are helpful especially for shin splints and plantar fasciitis (and not the crazies)".

The shin splint web site was www.shinsplintsolutions.com I haven't tried it but it looked interesting.

Heather

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.