Changing weights during between sets

kimyenchu

Cathlete
Hello,

I have a question for anyone who can help. I don't have as many weights as Cathe does and when I do the work outs I have to pause the tape to change weight plates. Sometimes this can take me longer than the pause section on her video.

I was wondering if my heart rate goes down, does this render the work out less effective? I have noticed that it might take me a minute or over to change the weights. In PH and PS, Cathe does not give you enough time to adjust your weights so I always have to pause.

I currently have only one barbell and several dumbells, but I would like to add a bicep curl bar or another barbell. What do you think?

I have been using PH, MIS and BodyMax (haven't started on PS yet)

Yen

Hi Yeri:

Just wanted you to know that I have to pause the tape in between sets on PH, too. And I have 4 barbells! I also need to take that time to drink some water, go to the loo, and basically catch my breath (all those squats on PH -- oy!). The way I look at it, in PH Cathe has only an hour to cover the entire body so the she goes quickly to conserve time. We at home have the option to take the time needed to recover between sets and body parts (I'm not talking about sitting down with a shaken, not stirred martini, mind you. This is Power Hour, not Happy Hour!).

As far as heartrate goes, that's why I do Cathe's cardio tapes.

Personally, I don't think taking a few moments to recover makes that much difference in the physical results. It also allows for increases in weights. On week 3 of my PH rotation, I'm now using a 52-lb barbell for the squats and pliers which is kinda heavy for this workout -- but I have to challenge myself. I need a little extra stretching time after.

Re the curl bar -- I had one but had to give it away. The curl bar was exceptionally uncomfortable for me, maybe because my hands are so small. It made by hands cramp up.

Anyways, just wanted you to know you're not alone in pausing the tape!

Patricia

Spring clips and curl bars

Hi!

Do you have the spring clips on the ends of your barbell or the ones that you have to screw into place to tighten? The spring clips are so much quicker! Although I don't think (just MHO) that it makes that much difference in the effectiveness of the workout if you pause just a minute to change your weights.

As for the curl bar, they are great! My husband has one for his weight set and I've used it for biceps and triceps. Because it allows my wrists to curve naturally it seems so much easier and kind of feels like it puts less stress on them. I'd like to get one for my set now (more equipment, just what I need! :p )

Bev K.

RE: Spring clips and curl bars

Thank you very much everyone.

4 barbells? WOW!! What do you do with them all? Where do you keep them? I think 2 is enough and I will be getting a bicep curl bar (I used one before and I thought it was better for biceps - more compact).

Yen

I usually take longer breaks that are programmed on most weight workouts (usually twice as long, but it depends on my mood).

Hi Yen:

Oops, sorry! I addressed you as Yeri, not Yen in my last e-mail. Should've been wearing my reading glasses, huh?

Anyways, re the 4 barbells. I have three short light-weight padded ones which are about the length of the curl bar (they were only $8 each at Fitness Depot and I couldn't resist bulk shopping -- The Price Club (Costco) sees me coming a mile away!) and one long, regular one. I need the long one for working the chest and overhead shoulder presses, and I use the short ones for biceps or triceps or whatever exercise doesn't require a wider grip. This saves me time with fiddling with plates too much. I keep them in my "dining room" next to a giant cat tree. Yes, those barbells do take up space in an apartment that's already too small, but I can maneuver around them. I hardly trip at all and who needs to actually "sit" at the table anyway? Afterall, the TV's in the living room (with a dozen dumbbells and the step)!

Once again, sorry about my mistake with your name.

Catricia ... errr .... Patricia

Hello Patricia,

That's alright. It was the first time anyone has mistaken it as Yeri, sounds rather nich though.

I want to buy a bicep curl bar for the same reasons: so I would not have to fiddle with plates too long and for those workouts with no wide grip. I am stopping all equipment shopping after that though as I live in a one bedroom flat. I also think the whole idea of home fitness is that you don't end up spending a fortune, otherwise, I might as well join a gym.

Yen

I have the screw ones. The fitness industry is not as good over here as it is America and the choices are limited. The weights I bought were the cheapest I could find and perhaps not as shiny looking as Troy, but they work very well for me.

I wish we have choices over here, but in time that will change.

Yen

So do I.

And after all, as Cathe always says, she likes to take our heart rate down because if it gets too high you cannot concentrate on form. So, you know what? I wouldn't worry about it. Cathe also says on PS legs video "this is not a cardio workout, that's another workout."

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.