Certification Question

Alexandra

Cathlete
For those that hold either(or both)a personal trainer certification or group fitness certification: how did you decide what type of certification to get (personal trainer or group fitness)? I've been thinking about getting certified for quite sometime now, but can't decide on what to begin with. Any thoughts or comments are welcome.

Alexandra

What would you rather do more of? Group instruction and personal training are both challenging occupations, but with personal training you can do it 8 hours and still do your own workout. With group instruction it could take over your schedule if you aren't very regimented.

That's why I chose personal training first. And, as far as I know, not many classes are like Cathe's, where the participants are advanced. Around here, the gyms are catering to the deconditioned (except for spinning, what's up with that?! LOL).

So if you develop a relationship with a gym you can then gradually branch out.

I'm just explaining my own agenda, because I have a 4 day a week job as it is already. I am supporting the whole family right now so I must be very very careful about how much time I devote to other pursuits.

I just applied to Linda Evans, but then met *another* gym (owner) who has owned this local gym (no classes at all) since 1974. Very nice, state of the art, cardio machines, and everyone who works there is a trainer. He rents space to trainers at a very agreeable rate-- well I'm going on and on becauise I am obsessed!

And it's my bedtime now.

Anyway, I hope this helped!

-Connie

Connie,

Thanks so much for your input. My thought was exactly that - start with one (personal training) and then move to group fitness. I work full time as a banker (not my passion but it's been good to me) but I'm not ready to switch careers yet and being the mother of two boys I don't know how I would fit it all in. I'm really itching (have been for years) to make the move and get certified. By the way, I've been following your posts - from the time you decided to get certified to your recent certification and now you're out looking for a job - you don't waste any time and I really admire that. You've really inspired me!

Thanks again for taking the time to post.

Alexandra

Connie...
I have been following your pursuit for your certification and was wondering how it is going? Did you have the opportunity yet to do an one-on-one practice session yet with anyone? Taking and passing the ACE test seems very doable to me (even though I have not studied yet:) but the practical hands-on stuff is very intimidating to me. I guess cuz my people skills aren't as sharp as my fitness know-how. Are you applying for part-time work with a gym now?

I am under the impression that there are some gyms that give you your clients (set it up for you) and there are some that expect you to solicit your own (losts of shmoozing). I am under this impression because years ago when I worked at Bally's they made you get your own clients and then a few years later when I dated a personal trainer, they gave him his. But, the Ballys trainers made more money.

I, personally, would not mind making less $$ in exchange of less shmoozing. Hanging out in the gym and giving out advice in hopes people like you enough or think you look the part "enough" doesn't sound too fun. But, I worked in a gym for seven years....making little money and not doing anything fitness related......but it was probably the happiest time in my life!!

There is a gym here in Phoenix that constantly advertises that they will train you (2 weeks), give you their own certification, and employ you. Looks enticing since I would still get my ACE cert but I could have immediate employment in a gym. BUT, the ads are literally every weekend and it makes me wonder....how come those positions aren't filling?? Or are they and there is just a HUGE turnover??

Does anyone have any advice on how to determine if you have the right personality to be a personal trainer?? What facets of personality does it require? Obviously we all have a great interest in fitness and nutrition, but what really makes a great marketable trainer???

There is also a local community college here that will certify you through them, but you take a few semesters' worth of courses (but you get practical experience. I would say the total cost would be upwards of $1000 by the time you were done, but it seems like I would learn quite a bit. And since it all seems interesting to me, none of it seems like "work". You can also do this for Group Fitness Instructing.

I am thinking I will do Personal Training first, but the community college cert is only one class different for Aerobics Instructing. So, I may be able to get certified in both just by taking one more additional course....

Any thoughts would be appreciated! Connie, if you prefer to let me know via email, my email is [email protected].

Good Luck to everyone who is trying this, as there seems to be many!!!

Janice

I am so green with envy reading these posts about you all getting certified and making a go of things. I am certified through AFAA for both aerobics and PT and currently only teach 2 classes a week. I have a professional job as a systems analyst but right now I am NOT ENJOYING work. It would be my dream to do this instead but I am so afraid of losing my income. I am unfortunately very well paid (now that sounds funny). But a part of me wants this so bad, I am starting to think that I should at least get more information. Life's too short to be miserable, even for money. How much work are you practicing PT's able to get? How many client hours are you able to book during the DAY? I have two kids, so I am not interesting in being away from them all evening. I already know what the going rates around here are for teaching classes and for PT's - and it's not much (the South is like that). But if I knew I could at least work a good 20 - 30 client hours a week, then maybe I would be willing to do this. Does how busy you are depend on how much you sell yourself? Anyway, it's fun to dream...
Meredith

>I am so green with envy reading these posts about you all
>getting certified and making a go of things. I am certified
>through AFAA for both aerobics and PT and currently only teach
>2 classes a week. I have a professional job as a systems
>analyst but right now I am NOT ENJOYING work. It would be my
>dream to do this instead but I am so afraid of losing my
>income.

I have similar feelings, Meredith.

I am unfortunately very well paid (now that sounds
>funny). But a part of me wants this so bad, I am starting to
>think that I should at least get more information. Life's too
>short to be miserable, even for money. How much work are you
>practicing PT's able to get?

Me? None. My job is so much better than what I have seen these local PT's go through, esp. in an economic downturn.

How many client hours are you
>able to book during the DAY? I have two kids, so I am not
>interesting in being away from them all evening. I already
>know what the going rates around here are for teaching classes
>and for PT's - and it's not much (the South is like that).

Same here... none. Eves and weekends are most popular because everyone works.

But
>if I knew I could at least work a good 20 - 30 client hours a
>week, then maybe I would be willing to do this. Does how busy
>you are depend on how much you sell yourself? Anyway, it's fun
>to dream...

What I hear so much is that it's not the certification or lack thereof that gets yoou biz-- it's what you know nd how effective you are that gets you more clients. So it's better to just start working first and get any certs you need later. Self-employed (unless you want slave wages). That's a very pared-down synopsis of my brief (1 yr) observation.

I have opted to keep what I have, and enjoy my own workouts. I don't want to give up any more family time. And I am trying to make my day job as enjoyable and stress-free as I can.

I am, however, going to get instructor training at the YMCA in March. I'd love to teach an aerobics class! I'm a hopeless overcommitter...!

-Connie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.