cereal vs. banana

Thank you, everyone, for a very interesting and informative thread!

Clare, I agree with Bobbi that your post was in no way discourteous or insulting. I used to teach high school (German) and I hear ya on the grading! I'm also with you on the eating. I try to eat a healthy and balanced diet with lots of variety, but I definitely don't eschew treats or other foods I like. Food is one of life's great pleasures and should be enjoyed as long as it doesn't interfere with one's health.:)

>Thanks for everyone's input! I'm wondering also about the
>whole grain vs. cornflakes thing, too: If they added all those
>vitamins and minerals to the cornflakes, why would I choose a
>(often higher-calorie) whole-grain cereal instead?

Why: while vitamins and minerals are added to the cornflakes, it's after vitamins, minerals and fiber have first been removed through processing, and many of the additions are synthetic. Also, some whole-grain cereals also have added vitamins and minerals.
Look at the fiber content of each of the cereals. People who eat more fiber and whole grains generally have less problems with weight than those who eat less.

>
>Also, I know that added sugar is "bad," but there's lots and
>lots of sugar in fruits, milk, and plain yogurt, too - simple
>sugars like fructose and lactose (actually I'm not sure if
>lactose is a simple sugar). So why are sugars from those
>"natural" sources usually considered better?

Fructose is a natural sugar that is low glycemic. High fructose corn syrup (which is used in a lot of processed foods) doesn't actually have a huge fructose component (as the name would suggest), but is mostly some other sugar which is high glycemic. Natural sugars come the way nature intended them to be eaten. I personally trust that Mother Nature will provide what the human body needs better than a lab rat with a test tube can.

Clare, I hear you!
It's final's week here next week, so I'm also getting ready for the inevitable head-banging correction sessions!

Fruits are sugar (fructose), so as stated previously, the only real advantage they have over that kind of cereal are the vitamins and minerals they contain.

However, not all fruits are created equal. I almost never eat bananas or pineapple (or any high GI fruit)and stick to berries instead, which are loaded with antioxidants and fiber.

I love all berries too. In fact, I don't think there is any fruit that I don't like or that I stay away from. I'll even eat a whole avocado-love them.

Joanne

>
>I choose the banana every time. I use the energy in my
>workouts and everyday life, I don't care where the carbs fall
>on an abstract index. It's worlds away from Macdonald's fries
>or a chocolate bar. Those are the real demons.
>
>
>Clare :)

Im with you on that one Clare. I would love to know exactly which foods do which things and to which body part and with what outcome. But, right now I eat healthy foods and only water and stay away from the bad stuff. Ill work my way to the tough stuff later....

This thread is sounding a bit ridiculous, don't you think? I eat Cheerios with a sliced banana regularly, I doubt that this will really mess up my energy or fitness level. I think we are taking this whole low card/diet thing a little far.

>The one important fact that was left out of the comparison
>was the grams of sugar in each item...banana vs the Corn
>Flakes. I think the GI makes a tremendous amount of sense out
>of the foods available to us. And keep in mind that diabetics
>need to use the GI for controling their condition. I too look
>at the amount of sugar contained in a purchased food before I
>buy it. It's like trans fat, try to avoid the bad foods that
>are out there...sweetened cereals, donuts, cookies, cakes,
>pancake mixes, syrup...

I found a webstite breaking down the amounts of carbs that come from sugar in fruits and veggies...and the banana has more sugar than the Cornflakes (as do most fruits)! But I guess I understand the point of the poster who said that she trusts how Mother Nature made the sugar...I also agree with the poster who said that this post is a little ridiculous, but in my defense, I just like finding out what's in my food and what the best way to fuel my body is. The info I get will help me choose between two foods that I love...if I only love one of two choices, I will go for the one I love, even if it is less healthy. I am lucky to have grown up in a family where "comfort food" meant homemade apple sauce and oatmeal, and "treats" meant carrot sticks with yogurt dip, and "big fancy dinner" meant baked tofu and curried lentil soup! I really like healthy food. :)

I agree with Bobbi. Based on the changes in myself over the last 6 weeks or so I have been on a low GI way of eating, I am a huge believer that the foods you eat have a huge impact on your life. My personal observation. But I have found that many people don't want to hear that. I get a lot of "Oh...it is just a DOUGHNUT! for heaven's sake". Or whatever. But that is right up there with "Oh you look great, you don't need to workout." :)

Cereal seems innocent enough, doesn't it, certainly better than a doughnut, but cutting it out has made drastic changes for me. I was eating my cheerios every am with a few T's of white sugar....first thing in the am when I hadn't eaten anything for 12 hours....whoo hee, blood sugar to the MOON. Oatmeal and strawberries have worked much better, plus a few almonds, maybe a little sugar free maple syrup. More energy, fuller longer, huge impact on clearer skin.

Wonder if it is possible different folks' bodies can tolerate certain high GI foods better ? But I thought I was one of those til I changed.

Just want to add that, for clarification, low GI eating is NOT low carb. NOT AT ALL.

Jen

The glycemic index is such a heap of Shxt! Unless you are eating a food seperately it makes little difference. Oat meal when mixed with milk and fruit changes the glycemic index from oatmeal on its own. Very few of us eat foods seperately. Why bother ourselves with another problem with food.

In my opinion everything in moderation is the best deal unless you are told by your dr. to avoid certain foods. Banannas are high in potassium which women need alot of- plus it enhances your mood. I usually eat 1-3 a week and the other days have an apple or grapefruit, sometimes berries...mixing it up is what I like..just me though

RE: cereal vs. banana-bobbi

I also agree with Bobbi that there is an obesity problem in the U.S. I hear alot of people say that fruits and veggies are expensive and they can't afford to eat healthy all the time- in fact I find myself saying this as well....I paid $3 for a red bell pepper the other day..then found an alternative of frozen peppers for .50 cents a bag- I 'm switching to that because at least I can afford it..ya know? then you pass the chip isle and find a bag of chips for .99 cents.....I see why people would pick the fatty more filling choice for less.....when is the government going to help out with this problem....if healthy food had to be cheaper we would all eat better I'm convinced......I do also know that those farmers would need to be compensated as well though- be it a tax break or whatevert o grow those crops...I don't know I just wish things would change a bit

Now, now, Wayne, what's Shxt? The GI's a handy tool, much like a HR monitor. But the bottom line is eating more complex carbs and cutting out overly-processed foods. The GI is very effective for doing that. From what you've posted of your diet, you eat don't eat enough carbohydrate to spike your blood sugar at all. Still, there are posters who like and use the GI so calling it a heap of anything is perhaps not the best way to phrase your opinion. What's silly to one person might be eating for optimum nutriton for another and that needs to be respected.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Wow, three bucks for a red pepper! That's terrible! I feel really lucky to live close to Trader Joe's. They have a wonderful variety of fruit and vegetables, including organics, and they keep the price down nicely. I use humanely raised animal sources of protein and it's gets expensive. I also go for organics as often as I can when it comes to produce unless the quality is not there and sometimes it isn't. But I cook most nights and I think that helps to keep the cost of eating down.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

I don't pretend to know how it works. I'm a lawyer, not a nutritionist. But eating relatively low GI has helped me to feel better more of the time, and to be more energetic. I'd hardly call that silly or a bunch of shxt!

But I have to admit that there is so much info out there, that it is easy to get overwhelmed and want to just simplify it all. I do believe that clean eating is the most important guideline to follow, and that all the rest is just optional. If I had kids, I'd be feeding them bananas all the time. And, just like my mother did with me, I'd be pushing raisins over cookies and candy bars. Eating clean is just good common sense.

In addition, I'm sure that a lot of the plans out there are excellent. I'm sure the Zone, which I think Wayne is referring to, works great. And the low GI diet prescribed for me by my nutritionist in response to my complaints about low energy happens to work great for me. I think it's wonderful that we have so much great info today! :)

Bananas will always be in our house because the bulldogs LOVE them! They hear that peel snap and they come running. I usually only get a bite and they gobble down the rest.

Margie

[font color=darkcyan]Hi Clare,[/font color=darkcyan]

An off topic comment- You rock Clare!!! I didn't know you are a teacher and working on your PhD. That's fabulous! I'm working on my BS and am going to go for the MPA after. Do you mind if I ask what you are studying?

[font color=darkcyan]Gina[/font color=darkcyan]

Hi Jen,

I do think certain people can tolerate high GI foods better than others. I'm just thinking of my dad for example, who has diabetes and really doesn't do well with high GI's at all. I think we all have a certain level of tolerance or sensitivity to them.

Gina

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.