Cathletes Gettin' To Goal Aug.12-15~All Welcome!

pugw

Cathlete
Hi everyone!

I'll get us started. I thought we could start a new thread on Sundays if that is okay with everyone. Whoever is online first can start it each week. :D

There were several of us that went on the RT this year that were not at the place that we wanted or had expected to be when the trip rolled around for whatever reasons. We are tired of talking about where we want to be and have decided to take a positive step toward making it reality. We decided to start this check-in to hold each other accountable and encourage each other along the way. :)

We will all have different goals and methods of reaching them. Your goal could be wt loss, increased physical endurance, strength or whatever. It would be nice if each person could state what their specific goal at this time is and what their initial plan will be to obtain it. A general plan will be fine. ;)

It will be wt loss for me. I am comfortable in my skin when I weigh around 120. I'm 5'1" so this is by no means an unreasonable goal. I think I'm weighing around 140 right now but I'll weigh in the morning to get a true wt. That would mean a 20 lb loss for me. :eek: I have a dress to fit into for my son's wedding October 10th. I'm not sure what I need to weigh to do that but that will be my first short-term goal. :p I also plan to put the wt ticker up so that the whole world can witness.
laugh.gif

And lastly, I need to realllllllly cut back on my sugar intake. I have no desire to totally wipe it from my diet but I do need to control it. My plan right now is to have sugar only on special occasions. And they do need to be a special occasion. ;) I'm also going to try to stay between 12-1400 cals/day. It doesn't sound like much food, I know. But this is where I know I can lose. :confused:

Okay, next please. :D What are your goals?

And just so y'all will know- I'm starting that sugar thing tomorrow. I made an Italian Cream cake for a friend's B-day today and I did indulge. :eek: It was a special occasion though. :p

And just so y'all will know- I'm starting that sugar thing tomorrow. I made an Italian Cream cake for a friend's B-day today and I did indulge. :eek: It was a special occasion though. :p

Starting tomorrow is a good thing!

I think you all know my story -- retirement, less activity, weight gain <sob sob>. I was pleased with how well I was able to keep up with the workouts on the RT, but, as expected, was horrified by the photos. I got on the scale Monday and saw that I have gained 35 pounds since reaching my WW goal a few years ago.

So, Monday saw me beginning Cathe's August rotation to get truly back into the swing of things, and also starting the Crack The Fat Loss Code week 1 deplete week. I did this plan a few months ago and did really well on it until I got to the maintenance cycle (you're supposed to do this cycle even if you're not at goal and then start again on week 2). I just went crazy on that cycle and never pulled my way back to making it the routine way of eating for me. Basically, the plan is carb cycling. It's not low carb (except the first week), but controlling when you eat them. I do so much better physically and mentally when I have a higher protein, lower carb diet, so I want to try this again; only this time I'll go right from week 6 back to week 2 instead of the maintenance weeks. Another reason I chose this plan is that I needed something drastic to get the sugar out of my system after the past few months. I had managed to make chocolate my own personal bottom-of-the-pyramid food group.

I also have the GoWear Fit that I am using to track my activity (and calories) and create incentive for me to move more. It was quite a revelation to see just how much less I have been moving since retirement, even though I had a desk job.

Okay, that's enough rambling for me. Let's do this!

Hi all, I hope I am doing this right....anyway...I thought I did great physically at the Roadtrip, but I weighed A LOT when I got back...so, I knew it was time to get serious. I had lost 2lb as of last Friday and plan on weighing myself every Friday. My main struggle is eating (shocker, I know) so that is my focus. I am doing a modified "Clean Eating" diet...modified in that I won't be eating bison, tofu or some of those other weird things you read about...so we'll see how it goes. The roadtrip also rekindled my love for step, so I am adding that back in once or twice a week, various wt training videos 3-4days a week and cardio 3 days/week. I am also reinstating my "no eating after dinner" protocol because this is wehere I have seen results in the past. My goal is 125 pounds... I am predicting 6 months of hard work and clean eating (along with maybe one bought of the stomach flu) and I might actually do it. Good Luck to all!

I am so glad to have to be accountable to people. My main goal is to eat better. I love to eat and I eat a lot. I need to cut out my daily cup of soda and eat more fruits and veggies. I also need to cut out some of the processed foods that I love. I don't have a major weight loss amount. My body is happy at 125 and so I am less than 5 pounds away but I would love to be 120. I just know that my body probably won't get there. I would also like to become more defined. I work out 5 to 6 days a week doing weights 3 days and cardio at least 2 days, usually 3. Changing my eating habits should help with that. I have been very good about getting up at 4:45 most days to get my workouts in before the daily grind begins. I will admit that I have to empty my fridge out so I may eat bad for another day. I just can't justify throwing away good food! Happy eating and exercising these next few days.

Good morning all!

I did Step Blast this morning. This is such a fun w/o. :D I did sit out on the last blast though because I realized that by this time Cathe had totally lost her mind.
yes.gif
I refused to feed her insanity by continuing. ;)

I'm excited this morning. I was remembering how it felt to be at a much smaller wt and it was sweet. :D I'm going to try to cling to that feeling for a while.

Lacy, you're funny. Your goals sound very reasonable. I think I'll join you on the no eating after dinner rule. I've done this in the past and it does help with those late night ice cream attacks. :eek:

Nancy, good luck with your CTFLC. I actually have that book and about a million others.
laugh.gif
I keep meaning to put them on the swap or something because I vowed never to buy another diet book. They never work for me because I never do what they say. :eek:

Melissa, I say get to 125 and see how you feel. You might decide you want to try for 120 after all. Where's your avi????

It's so good to see you guys here. I need to get busy but I'll check back later probably. :D Oh, I did weigh this morning and it wasn't pretty. :confused: My ticker tells the story.

Hi everybody-

Rondalyn- thank you for starting this check-in. I need to be accountable.:)

I tried posting this twice last night and both times lost it somewhere in cyber-space.:mad: So here I go again.

Like Rondalyn said in her post. I wasn't where I wanted to be weight-wise for the RT. I'm really disgusted with the way I look in the RT pics and videos. So here's my new goal: I want to lose 15 lbs. by my 40th birthday on Oct. 14. I need to lose a total of 20 but I think 15 is more doable in 2 months. I want to enter my forties fit and fabulous (not fat and frumpy). Here's how I'm going to achieve my goal:

1)work out consistently (instead of sporadically like I have been)5-6 times per week
2)clean up my diet...cut back on the sweets and takeout. I may follow the WW plan on my own. I used to attend meetings and I still have all the materials.
3)start wearing my GoWearFit again and faithfully track my calories

Good luck everyone with your goals.:)

Good to see everyone here! I had a real challenge today and since it's early in this new weight loss effort, I was able to resist. I had a two-hour drive to Phoenix, followed by a four-hour meeting, lunch, and then a two-hour drive home. Jacque can attest to how mind-numbing the drive to and from Phoenix from southern Arizona is and it always wears me out. Anyway, at the meeting (Arizona Law Enforcement Torch Run For Special Olympics) we had fresh bagels and cream cheese. Tough, but not usually my big downfall. And two huge pans of homemade brownies. That was scary. I sat on the far side of the room from them, made everyone keep the lid on the pans so I couldn't smell them, and got out of there without even looking at them. Hooray!

Lacy, I would love to follow the Clean Eating Diet, in theory. But you're right that there is a whole lot of work and change in habits needed to do that. Just sticking with whole foods in itself will be great.

Melissa, I admire your tenacity in getting up so early to work out. When I was working I got up at 5:30 to get to work by 7:00 and I definitely wasn't going to get up any earlier, so I did my workouts after work. It was sometimes a drag to have that hanging over my head all day long, but I also felt that I was able to get a stronger workout after being up and moving all day. What can I say -- I'm a lot older than you!

Rhondalynn, I love Step Blast! It's one of my favorite workouts, along with Rhythmic Step. I think we can all agree that Cathe is completely insane and you should be proud to have not enabled her in that ;)

Jacque, I like how you have set specific goals. and have a date to shoot for is very motivating.

I am so motivated by reading everyone's posts....it actually feels like I'm not alone! Toay is my weigh-in, lost 1 pound this week, total of 3 pounds since home from the Roadtrip. I am 14 pounds from my goal. It's going to be tough, but I've decided this time is it....I'm not getting any younger. Work also tempted me yesterday...meeting at a fancy restaurant, but I was able to resist and have a nice meal without the bread and mashed potatoes! I have been sore in several body parts this week, so I think the exercise is going ok...Muscle Max today....after Cinema Cafe with my kids....do they have grilled chicken salad with no dressing??? YIKES!

I have decided that I have to set weekly eating goals. Here are this weeks...

Each day I have to drink 2 glasses of milk and 32 oz of water before I drink any soda. I don't drink a lot of fluids during the day (even when it's hot) so at 8 at night when I would go for my soda I will probably still have water left to finish, thus eliminating my need for the soda. I am also going to make sure I get 3 veggies in a day before I snack. I know 3 doesn't sound like a lot but some days I really don't eat enough of them.

Next week I will add one or two more things. I have to take it slow.

I didn't get up at 4:30 to work out today. I went to bed late and then my husband had a board meeting last night and didn't get home until 11 and was all wound up from it so he didn't sleep good which means I didn't sleep good. Anyway I am getting the kids dressed and we are going to go for a walk. I figure pushing 60 pounds at a brisk pace is a good workout, especially when I throw in a few hill repeats. I will also do abs. I can do those in the living room while the kids play.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning all!

Ack! I did BC this morning but probably should have chosen something a bit tamer because I was tired and needed to modify quite a bit. :confused: But it was still good.

Eating was on track yesterday! NO sugar! I'm not sure how many cals I had. Probably too many. We did a breakfast for dinner kind of thing last night and I ended up eating more than I had planned. I know I didn't do that bad though.

Today is another story. I'm making some truffles and cheese balls for a shower tomorrow.:eek: Is making truffles considered a special occasion? ;) Just kidding. I'm going to do my best not to partake.

I hope you had a good walk Melissa. I think making small changes along the way is often the key to success. I don't eat enough veggies myself.:eek:

Good job, Lacy!
9d035f7a4b7176e752cf1dcc64c895d99f979e2.gif
You're off to a great start!

Nancy, you did good! I
c5915a4271521f6d323798b2a6f3460e3d69c72.gif
brownies.

Great goals, Jacque! I can't wait to celebrate with you. :D

I need to get out of this house and run some errands. Keep up the good work everyone!

Good Morning Everyone

I've been doing good so far. :) I've gotten all my workouts in. This is how my week looks so far:

Mon:power Hour with Body Max step added on
Tues: Kickmax
Wed: Drillmax
Thurs. Rythmic Step

Today is Lower Body. Not sure my knees can take it though. They're talking to me everytime I climb the stairs. (I live in a 3 story house so there's lots of stairs) I might have to split my rotation and do 3 days on one day off instead of 6 days in a row. My eating has gotten better but there's still room for improvement.:)

Nancy: Yes, I know the drive you're talking about. I don't like it either. Luckily, I take a different route to Phoenix so I don't have to go that way very often. You did good yesterday resisting the evil brownies. It's just one small success at a time that adds up:)

Lacy: Congratulations on your 3 pounds lost since the RT. That's an accomplishment! Great job on resisting those carbs.:) Keep up the good work and you'll be at goal in no time.

Melissa: I admire you for getting up so early to workout. I've never been a morning person. I'm struggling this week getting up at 7 since school started a couple of days ago. I know I'd probably get more workouts completed if I got up early and did them. When I wait it seems like something always interferes. Right now my plan is to try to get my workout done before noon. We'll see how it goes from there.:) That's great that you set goals for your eating. Soda is a downfall of mine also. I was finally able to make the switch to diet a couple of years ago but I still drink way too much. Good luck with your new goals.

Rondalyn: Don't worry that you had to modify your workout a little. At least you did it and that's all that matters. Great job on the NO SUGAR. Wow, your a stronger person than I am :p You can resist the truffles!!! I'm planning my sister's baby shower. I'll be ordering the cake soon. Remember the talk we had about the cake? That's going to be my true test:eek:

Have a great day everyone!

Hi All-
Thanks Rhondalyn for starting this, and sorry I am late to the party!
I think this will be a good idea to be accountable to a few people:).
I don't think I know everyone, but, I know a few of you(just a little) from meeting you at the RT. I did some table hopping and met lots of people, but the bad thing is I can't remember everyone now!

Anyway, I have been sort of avoiding the scale(so that gave me an excuse to eat a lot, since I wasn't weighing myself). So, I got on it yesterday, thinking I was probably about 135, and I was actually a little over at 135.4. My WW goal weight was 126, but, I could never stay there very long. I moved up to 130 too easily, and am slowly gaining weight. BTW, I am 5'4.5"
I know it isn't much, but, I just want to drop to about 125 and stay there for a long period of time. Last summer's pants don't fit me, so getting those to fit would be another goal.

I think I enjoy after dinner snacks too much, so if I can avoid those unless they are fruit, or a vitamuffin, I think I would be okay. But, I eat cookies, or ice cream, or cake, or chips or whatever I crave! Also, on Weight Watchers, when I ate the recommended 18-23 points, my weight was low. More often then not, even while at goal, I eat about 30 points day. If I can pare back the points to 18-23, I think I can get to goal easily, but,.........I am always hungry!!

I guess in a nutshell here is my goal and plan:
Goal:
  • get to 125 lb slowly, fit into last year's summer clothes, maintain good eating patterns
Plan:
  • Implement the "ticker"
  • Eat an average of 18-23 points per day
  • Eat as clean as possible, but occasional diversion to "dirty" food is okay!
  • If hungry at night, eat fruit, or 0 point food, or just 1 point of something to satisfy the craving--don't keep mindless eating!
  • Continue cardio, and weights (Cathe and AMy Bento mostly) 5-6 days per week
Next week my husband is going to see a doctor about his sciatica/piriformis pain in Santa Monica, so we are going to be there a few days -- going to make a vacation out of it! Wish me luck on the eating front!

I wish you all luck on your goals, too! Maybe I will get to know all of you better, too! Looking forward to the check-in.

Hope to get my ticker up today!

I am so motivated by reading everyone's posts....it actually feels like I'm not alone! Toay is my weigh-in, lost 1 pound this week, total of 3 pounds since home from the Roadtrip. I am 14 pounds from my goal. It's going to be tough, but I've decided this time is it....I'm not getting any younger. Work also tempted me yesterday...meeting at a fancy restaurant, but I was able to resist and have a nice meal without the bread and mashed potatoes! I have been sore in several body parts this week, so I think the exercise is going ok...Muscle Max today....after Cinema Cafe with my kids....do they have grilled chicken salad with no dressing??? YIKES!

Congratulations, Lacy! Keep up the hard work.

Hello: Rhondalyn, Nancy, Lacy, Mabdoo, & Jacque!!

YAY!! I can't tell you how THRILLED I am that I found this thread?! It is EXACTLY what I need!! Thank you Rhondalyn for starting it!!

I too was completely horrified, and somewhat devastated, when I saw the pictures from the RT. :( I am blessed to be married to a wonderful man who, when I was showing him that pictures and realized just how much weight I have gained in 2 years, just held me while I cried and comforted me.

Yes, I was able to keep up with all the workouts on the RT (modifying some because of an annoying low back injury) but the fact that I felt so awful in my own skin and felt like some huge marshmallow giant, is something that is hard to shake. I was 10 pounds from my goal weight 2 years ago and now I'm about 30 pounds away. Of course I haven't officially weighed myself (I'm afraid that I'll freak out). :(:eek::eek:

Anyway, this has actually been a good 2 weeks for me. Due to a "come to Jesus meeting" with my chiropractor, I have been walking every day (instead of step aerobics and kickboxing) and lifting much lighter weight (many, many reps though), and stretching for 15 minutes twice per day. I am amazed at how good I actually feel and I'm not having wild food cravings. When I put my pants on this morning I was surprised that they were looser. :cool:

I will be starting the Slim in 6 series workouts Monday (chiro approves!). I will also be walking my dog for 20-30 minutes each day and still doing stretching every day (part of my low back recovery).

I plan on keeping track of my food too. I'll be aiming for 1350-1500 calories per day. I'm also trying to cut WAY back on sugar--I have a weakness for tootsie rolls!!

I know I met Nancy on the RT (you remember my name, right?) ;), but I don't think I had the pleasure of meeting the rest of you ladies. Hi! :)

Well, I'm off to figure out how to attach the weight ticker to my signature. I tried it yesterday but my lack of technical savvy got in the way!! :eek:

Thank you ladies for your inspiring posts!! I'll check in each Sunday(or Monday)!!

Lisa

Happy Thursday, everyone! I hope today is a good one for you. I just finished Imax2 for a very humbling workout. I just had no energy (sound familiar Rhondalynn?) and pretty much just toughed it out by modifying to the max :rolleyes:. But I did finish and I decided a bad workout is better than none at all, so I'm okay with that.

Melissa, I know from experience that the water before soda plan works. I also have a certain number of glasses of water I need to have finished before I allow myself my one Diet Pepsi a day. Many times I end up not having it, not because I don't drink enough water but by the time the afternoon rolls around I'm just not in the mood for it. Other days, though, I can't wait for that carbonated cola taste to hit my mouth!

Rhondalynn, nice going on the sugar yesterday. You're a strong person if you can resist truffles that you're making yourself.

Jacque, take it easy on those knees. I have one that is kind of wonky since the RT. It doesn't really hurt, I just know it's there.

Linda, those are great goals you have set, including giving yourself leeway for special treats. Enjoy that CA vacation! I hope it is a successful visit for your husband.

Lisa, that's your name, right? ;) ((hugs)) It has been a tough realization about the weight gain, hasn't it? I'm so glad that you have your wonderful husband there to support you. I'm also really glad that none of us let our insecurities get in the way of making the RT and enjoying ourselves thoroughly. I never would have known you were having back problems. I've never done Slim In Six but hear it is effective when people stick with it -- like anything, I guess. If it helps with the ticker in the sig line, I tried over and over again to get it to work. I finally went into my User CP to edit my sig line and found six tickers in there! I deleted all but the one and saved it and that worked for me. I have no idea why it wasn't working directly but I got it figured out in the end.

Hi Rhondalyn, Nancy,and Melissa:
You guys are so good at addressing each of us; hopefully I will get the hang of this and be able to speak directly and give each of you kudos!

Hey Lisa: I am glad you joined. You left my name off the list! You know me :D! I noticed you in a lot of the Flikr photos already. Did you say you had a Facebook where you will post your RT pictures? Well, another thing I finally did (besides getting the weight ticker up) was sign up for Facebook. I will see if I can figure out how to find RT'rs(that will take me awhile I bet), and find some photos. So, Lisa, you might get a friend request if I can figure out how to do it! Also, I am so impressed with your initial loss of ~100 pounds, and know you can get back towards your goal especially with everyone's support!

Oh Rhondalyn(with a musical tone in my voice): People are going to kill me, but, I was wondering if you could post, or PM me your Italian Cream cake? I like to make yummy things for get-togethers, then other people will eat most of it, and I can get a small taste to enjoy.:D. (And, also, people will think I am a good cook!)

Tomorrow, I am going on a dry run/practice walk to get ready for Portland's Race for the Cure(to be held in mid-September), with my Weight Watcher Friends. Then, I will probably do Gym Style Biceps and Chest, as the walking won't take much out of me.

I forgot to mention in my goals that I would be food journaling(nothing fancy, but just writing in a notebook) so that I can keep track of my points. Yesterday, I ate 23 points. Today I am up to 12.5 points, and I still need to eat dinner!

Well good luck everyone this weekend on working on your goals!:D

Hi Rhondalyn, Nancy,and Melissa:
You guys are so good at addressing each of us; hopefully I will get the hang of this and be able to speak directly and give each of you kudos!

Hey Lisa: I am glad you joined. You left my name off the list! You know me :D! I noticed you in a lot of the Flikr photos already. Did you say you had a Facebook where you will post your RT pictures? Well, another thing I finally did (besides getting the weight ticker up) was sign up for Facebook. I will see if I can figure out how to find RT'rs(that will take me awhile I bet), and find some photos. So, Lisa, you might get a friend request if I can figure out how to do it! Also, I am so impressed with your initial loss of ~100 pounds, and know you can get back towards your goal especially with everyone's support!

Linda! Hi! I was scrolling through this thread so fast yesterday (at work), I must have missed your post!! I'm glad you're on here too!!

Can I just say that not only do I have my own camera pictures from the RT to be horrified by, but now I also have the horror of the Flikr photos!! :eek::eek::eek: But I suppose there is no use in focusing my energy on that, right?! ;)

I decided that I needed to write out some specific goals as well:

1) Ticker up. (check!)
2) Journal/keep track of what I eat - the good, the bad, and the ugly
3) Implement the "positive thoughts" rule
4) Eat dinner by/before 7pm and no snacking after
5) Any baked good that I make (I love baking) will contain walnuts or pecans (I'm allergic!). This way my hubby will still have his "goodies" but I won't be tempted :)

Well, lovely ladies, I hope you all have a great weekend! Good luck with your goals!! We are all on the right track! Woohoo!

Lisa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.