Cathe Step workouts

I’ve rarely done Drill Max from start to finish but, as I recall, it only utilizes the step for stepping in a few drills. Not to say it’s not a great workout, it just doesn’t have a lot of step drills. I prefer step so I usually only do DM segments when I’m doing Cardio Fusion, and then I end up skipping pretty quickly to the drill involving jogging in place with the exercise ball (which is the best!).

I still would recommend Imax 2 for the choreography challenged if you’re wanting a little more of a challenge choreo-wise. The blasts are all basic athletic moves and most involve utilizing the step to get your heart rate up or plyo on the floor. The step combos range from basic to slightly dancy/complex. For example, combo 1 is insole right, insole left, insole right, walk around step, 3 knee repeater, straddle, 3 knee repeater. Repeat 6 times. Combo 2 is similar, except with a kick to each corner, over the top, step knee, etc. I substitute a 2 knee repeater for the up back jump in combo 3 to keep things simple. Granted there are a few tricky combos. (I gave up years ago on ever getting the shuffle repeater in combo 8 and so just do my own thing during those few seconds.) Combo 9 is tricky but you can always just skip to the blast or repeat an easier combo.

I bought high step challenge & high step training when I lived in an apartment and downsized to just a high step. However, I ended up just modifying most of my Cathe favorites and learning to do them on my high step.

Here’s how I would rate the step choreo in other dvds mentioned in this thread:
Intensity – Basic for those who are familiar with Cathe’s usual step combos but others might find the step portions more difficult to pick up on
Low Max – Complex choreo except the blasts, and the blasts are kind of boring for me in this one
Imax 3 – I love, but complex choreo, including some of the blasts. I always seem to be landing or starting on the wrong foot or wrong side of the step.
BM2 & LIC – Medium complex but there are breakdowns, except for the BM2 step circuits which took me forever to learn (maybe because I’m so tired by the time I get to them).
4DS step - I’m still trying to master both step routines but rarely pull them out so it’s taking awhile (meaning over a year).

Thank you!

Thank you Linda1 and Amberdawn! Your replies are very helpful! I really appreciate the complexity breakdown. I'm steering clear of the complex or even moderately complex ones. I won't put in the time to learn them. I work out to get an awesome intense workout every time--not to practice dance steps so that I can eventually get a good workout.

I own (and ADORE) Bootcamp/Muscle Endurance.

I may try Drillmax. I purchased 4DS--I haven't received it yet, but I want that one really badly for some reason. I am assuming it has premixes so I can skip the complex choregraphy if I choose. It looks like it has other cardios I'll have no problem with--bootcamp and kickboxing. And the strength work sounds awesome.

I'm not familiar with all of the acronyms for Cathe's workouts. What is LIC?

Sash series = Look at Cathe's outfits in drill max and LIC. AND the music in LIC is the Best!! imho :rolleyes:

724-2.jpg

Jann said:
Sash series = Look at Cathe's outfits in drill max and LIC. AND the music in LIC is the Best!! imho :rolleyes:

Aha! Great nick name...beats "no name series" that we came up with for intensity, lbb, etc.

Thanks!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.