Cathe are total body workouts not effective?

another one who REALLY wants to hear what cathe has to say on this! my favorite workouts are circuits/full body... so i really want to hear cathe's opinion on doing them!

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

bump (again)

Don't mean to be pushy, but I would like to hear what Cathe has to say about this. I use Total Body workouts a lot due to time crunches. I'd be curious to know if they are really meant just for maintenance purposes.

- Shopgirl

I also want to know from Cathe but I appreciate the insight you others have given. It seems like most workouts ARE total body I guess because these appeal to the most people. I am just so glad Cathe puts the separate muscle group ones out also.

I think for maximum muscle growth a muscle group has to be worked at least as long as in the Gymstyles.

Davida

According to HST (hypertrophy-specific training - see link below), you can build muscle with total body workouts 3 times per week. With this type of training, you have a 1-2 week deconditioning period where you rest the muscles. Then, you start light and build up over 2 weeks to your 15 rep max, then build up over 2 weeks to your 10 rep max, then build up over 2 weeks to your 5 rep max. Then, you do another 2 weeks of 5s, and after that have another deconditiong period and start over (this time with slightly heavier weights).

There is a lot of science behind the method, and they reckon that working the muscle to exhaustion isn't necessary for muscle growth.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

Personally, I have tried this and couldn't stay away from my video workouts long enough to really give it a go. Also, I think interval-type step workouts would interfere because they work the legs too hard - the idea of HST is that you build up from a deconditioned state to gradually heavier weights over the entire cycle.

Sharon :)

cathe... please! we are on our knees pleading for a response!

we are your faithful full body workout loving gang! *puppy pleading, begging eyes*

-------------
cute work out clothes are good for AT LEAST an additional 10-15 calories burned!

Hi Desertbriez,
My take on circuits is that they are primarily cardio and they are one of the top calorie burners. However, you are not working each muscle group sufficiently to actually build muscle. I think these are OK for muscle maintenance in the short term but should be used with a program of strenght training where you are working each body part thouroughly at least 1-2x/week for muscle building or long term muscle maintenance.

I am not Cathe either. But I thought I would my add my $.02 on the subject. I also read that article in Muscle and Fitness Hers by Mark Davies and I think that you should consider his advice, BUT ultimately you need to do what is right for your body. Full-body weight lifting works well for me, since I gain muscle sooo easily. If you dont, maybe then you should stick to 1-2 body parts per day. Just a suggestion.

Also, does anyone read Oxygen magazine? I really like Bobby and Nancy's recipes that are in the magazine, but they are proponents of NEVER eating any dairy whatsoever. I dont agree, but I still make their recipes. Same kind scenario as above I think.

I just dont subscribe to the rigid exclusion of anything.

Suzanne,

I also prefer full body workouts...mostly due to time constraints but I've had success in building muscle with these. Not a lot of muscle, but muscle nontheless.

I don't think anyone will get Cathe to say these workouts are not effective. She does produce them, after all, and I don't think she would produce them if they weren't.

It really depends on what your goals are, IMHO.

That's just my $.02.

I am sure these are effective...what I want to know is where do they fit in, in the whole scheme of things. For example, in a Fat Loss Rotation....how many times a week should they be used? That's what I'm particularly interested in. Pam

I can guarentee that these are effective, but I think that they are more geared towards muscle endurance bc of time constraints so if you are not seeing the results anymore than maybe its time to switch it up to working heavier weights, less reps and only one or two body parts a day, and than switch back or combine the two.....I would like to hear what Cathe says about this in regards to when and where do they fit in best??

i'm beginning to wonder if the no answer is our answer.... i LOVE full body and circuit workouts... i sure hope cathe will finally give us the scoop!!!

PLEASE! *begging*

-------------

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.