Broke my Elbow!!

suzannaerin

Cathlete
Uggh, two weeks before I turn 40 and I decide to go ice skating (I'm a novice but can shuffle around the rink). Well, I got distracted by some kid taking a spectacular wipe out that I did a backwards belly flop onto the ice. It happened so fast that I didn't know I was down until I was flat on my back. Ouch. Landed first on my elbow because it's the only place I'm injured (I will never ever again complain about my Gin Miller-sized bum). Anyway, I have a very slight "closed" break to the radius, right near my elbow. It's barely visible on the xray, so I'm thankful. The good news: my orthopedist said no cast, no splint and he wants me to start rehab on my own to make sure my range of motion isn't affected. It hurts like the devil and much to my surprise, I don't have much mobility because it's swollen up. The bad news: no weight lifting on that side of my body (including leg work using a barbell, I suppose) for SIX weeks. I also have to take it easy doing aerobics and not really use my arms, which I couldn't if I wanted. I am trying to focus on the positive: I'll take this time to learn Christi Taylor tapes/DVD I own and have been to scared to try. Also, I figure my right side doesn't have to go to pot---I'll lift using moderate weights on my right side once a week and I'll do what leg work I can (leg extensions, I suppose). Any suggestions as to how I can get through the next six weeks? I know my muscle "memory" will be good because I've been lifting using Cathe's tapes for more than two years. It's just a bummer, knowing that I'm going to lose some tone and strength. Those of you who have gone through something similar---How did you survive and how long did it take you to get back to your pre-injury state? Thanks, Suzanne

No advice, just some sympathy. That sounds like a nasty injury, and one that will take a while to heal.

How about some ice for swelling?

I've heard that if you have one side of the body immobile, but work the other side of the body, the inactive side will still have some benefit from it. I don't quite know how that works, though!

Ouch!

Sending lots of sympathy your way because that injury sounds painful! Hope you get to the PT right away so that you find out what you can do. I've also read that your non-working side retains some muscle memory if you work the non-injured side. Pretty amazing.

Not to trump your injury, but to let you know things could be much worse: My husband was running with a friend who tripped. He broke both elbows which had to be surgically repaired. He was as helpless as a baby! Radiologist told him that it's usually an injury incurred while under the influence. So at least you've got the use of 1 arm!

Be patient and take care!

Debra

I had a similar injury 2 years ago. I was roller skating and some guy going way too fast crashed into me and knocked me down. I broke my tailbone and had two hairline fractures in my wrist - no weight lifting for 6 weeks. I was really upset and worried about losing strength, but when I came back to weight lifting I quickly got back to my normal weight load with no problem.

Erica

I had a similar injury 9 years ago. I was playing with my dog in a field. My dog wasn't looking where he was going and plowed full speed into me and thus a fractured elbow. I have to say it healed very quickly and my strength came back in no time. In fact, I was supposed to go to physical therapy but it felt good so I only went to one session.

Hi Suzanne,

I did a jam break of my elbow about 9 years ago and I didn't need a cast or anything either. I did my own physical therapy which included touching my hand to my shoulder(which was supposed to happen after the next thing, but I did them in reverse) and turning over my wrist palm side up for the rotation part of the arm movement. You are supposedly suppose to be able to turn your arm over before you can touch your shoulder but of course I did the opposite, go figure had to be different I guess. I also had a 1 year old child at the time that I couldn't lift now that was no fun. Everything healed up just fine. I had fallen down 2 steps and went to brace myself in the fall onto concrete and that is how I jam broke my elbow.

I hope you feel better soon!!

May God bless and heal you soon!!

Annette

Suzanne~I'm so sorry to hear of your injury. Glad to see you are focusing on the positive. I would think you would be able to do almost all lower body work, minus dumbbells/barbell. (Squats, lunges, plies, leg presses and so forth.) Keeping in mind, to be very careful of your balance. I wouldn't want you to fall again. Like many have said, also using your good arm. You probably could do some AB work and lying down floor work. I'm sure if there is still quite a bit of pain, it may take you another week or so to be able to do SOME things. I also had an elbow injury a year or so ago and was able to work around it. (Was thankful it wasn't a broken leg! YIKES!) Good Luck~Thinking of you and wishing you a very speedy recovery. Keep us posted.

Your-Friend-In-Fitness, DebbieH http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/wavey.gif If You Get The Choice To Sit It Out Or Dance...I Hope You DANCE!!!

So sorry to hear of your injury! I had a broken wrist in college. I actually did it in my car. I had my hand inside the stearing wheel while parallel parking. My tire accidently went up on the curb (it was a real tall curb) and the steering wheel spun around real fast and took my wrist with it. I had a cast all the way up to my armpit for 6 weeks.

At least you still have 1 arm as some of the other posters said. It is amazing how much you learn to do with 1 arm. My strength came back very soon after I got my cast off. My arm did look a little funny with the muscle loss but it was back to normal in a few weeks.

I think your idea of still lifting on one side sounds good. Maybe you could also focus more on cardio for awhile? :) Or maybe you could also take this time to do something totally different like power walking, etc.?

Cyber hugs to you! Hope you have a quick recovery!

Sorry to hear about your injury Suzanne.
I had a friend who broke his collarbone and still ran at track meets. You probably could run to keep some basic fitness until you can get back to aerobics where you use your arms. Heck running with one arm may actually get you in better shape, cause it's harder. Just make sure you keep that injured elbow stationary if you do that.
Keep your head up Suzanne and don't get discouraged! :)
Trevor

thanks

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words! I was able to survive a half day at work and ended up trying to do Christi's Still Jumping this am (1st time doing the tape---it was easier to catch onto than I thought but you know what: without doing the arms, the fun factor wasn't too high!!). The good news is that I have a lot more range of motion in my left arm today, although it's still swollen and painful. I think that if I work through the pain and do what my doctor said in terms of keeping it mobile, I should be fine. I'm loading up on the yogurt, cottage cheese, and skim milk---heal, bone, heal!!! I decided to break out the lifecycle to keep my aerobic capacity to par and work my right side (as suggested), legs, and abs. Thanks again to all of you wonderful folks!! I know that I got off easy (no cast, no splint, etc). Suzanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.