Breast Implants

Krista03

Cathlete
How many of you have breast implants and how much did it cost? Are you glad you got them. And is their any maintence for them?

Hi Krista, my cousin has implants, they cost $4000. She loves them and has much more self confidence, but she had some trouble right after the surgery with infection and pain. She had some new type instead of silicon. She likes to work out and has to wear two sport bras. Her husband complains that they are too hard and stiff, and she can't breast feed their baby. Hope that helps a little. Cookiebaby

They're too hard and stiff?
Shouldn't they make ones that feel normal? You'd expect a bit of softness wouldn't you?
I think they look nice, depending on size and the woman's body fat. If they could just guarantee you wouldn't get any health problems I'd get them done. Imagine perky boobies till you're 90!

I would also be interested in hearing about the experiences of people who have them..I lost everything after having my kids (went from a C to a sub-A) and I am NOT happy- I have thought about maybe getting some myself.....

If any of you guys do check it out as an option for yourself, please make sure to also check on what may be different for women who weight train.

I've read articles in the past about women who've had problems with the implants shifting because of their placement in relation to their chest muscles, and that there are certain considerations that have to be made if you are a woman involved in resistance training.

Donna

Fitness~ it's a journey, not a race!

I have them and I found out a lot about them beforehand. There are lots of options and info you should know before you even inquire with doctors. Feel free to e-mail me-- so I can ask you questions to find out what you are really looking for! And tell you more about my experience.
-Connie

I also have implants and have had them for 6 years.Mine are filled with saline and are under the muscle.The first couple of weeks after surgery was painful but I'd do it again in a minute.~Linda~

I have had implants since 1999. I love them. I highly recommend going to [implantinfo.com] This website was my most thorough source of information. If you are researching implants it can be an addictive website!
Any way I have under the muscle anatomical saline implants. I am usually on this forum under another another name, but am sooooo private about this issue even here I have an alieus.

However I have never been sorry about my choice to have implants. It does hurt for about a week, and I could not do upper body weight work for about 6 weeks. I was a Cathe video user before and after the implants and I just wear a regular sports bra.
I went from a saggy-flat 34B to a nice perky 36D my feel free to ask me anything. Before my 4 kids I wass a nice 34B. Maybe I will get brave and tell you who I am on the Cathe forum normally.

No alias for me. I had implants "installed" almost 3 yrs. ago, as I was turning 40. I'm a nurse and researched this pretty thoroughly. Mine are like Janie's: saline, under the muscle etc.

I have 3 children and breastfed each of them for almost 2 yrs. and I wouldn't trade that for the perkiest breasts on the planet. (FYI: your breasts get saggy from being pregnant, so bottle feeding isn't any escape). My initial desire was just for a breast lift, but they still needed a bit of filling out. (Pre-childbirth, I was a 34 B, now I'm a 36C).

My husband hates that anyone would think it was somehow his idea (it wasn't). The recovery was brutal for me: more painful and for a longer time than my c-section. For about 5 or 6 wks., I couldn't open jars/bottles, wiping off the kitchen killed me etc. You can't believe how much you use those pecs everyday!

If I had it to do over again, I still would. It is a very personal decision tho' and one that takes a lot of thought. Good luck w/ whatever you decide.
Valerie

Hi-I'm new here but I've been lurking for quite sometime;o) I have implants and am happy with them. I was concerned about them shifting with resistance training, but you don't really have to worry about it unless you are a bodybuilder. However, there may be changes in them if you lose weight. As far as maintenance-it depends on the type of the implant you get. If you get smooth implants, you have to do some massaging but that's about it. Email me if you have and questions.

kirsten

I have three sisters who have them, a B, a C and a D. I don't know how much they cost but not as much as $4,000. I think they are all happy. The B was tiny-breasted and added just a little. She is very tiny. The C had large breasts which shrank over the years and had a fill so to speak. The D is larger boned and enhanced her voluptuousness. They all look great. None has complained about hardness. Make sure you find a doctor who has done lots of breast impalnt operations and you should be fine!

http://www.plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif Chick's Rule! B http://www.plaudersmilies.de/natur/petals.gif bbi

I'm glad someone finally brought up this topic. I'm always quick to point out "fake boobs" to my husband, so he knows they're fake. That's supposed to make me feel better, but deep down I'm just jealous. I would love to get them but so afraid of them hardening and looking obviously fake. Most of you said you got them under the muscle. Why? And do they look pretty natural? And where was the insertion point? Sorry so many questions, but I don't know anyone who's ever had them, and consequently have no one to ask these questions. I think it's great of you all to open up to the rest of us. Thanks.

What about that thing about encapsulation? That doesn't sound like fun at all ... is it linked to cancer? I was checking out that implants.com out of curiousity.
Why not ask? I mean if it improves on nature, it can't be all THAT bad,right? Sort of what we do most of the time, make up to make us look prettier. Heels to make us taller...gel filled bras to give oomph. It's just about grooming really. LOL.

To implant "owners"

I have a sort of dumb question to those with implants: Doesn't it feel weird to have foreign objects implanted into your chest? Do they feel weird when you workout? Do you worry that they'll break?

I have absolutely nothing against implants, I was just curious!!
I don't need implants, but I could see myself getting a lift if I have kids. My sister needs a reduction which I hear is much worse than getting implants.
I guess we're all unhappy with our chests at some point or another! If they're not too small, they're too big or saggy...

Mammogram results?

Doesn't having implants somewhat impair the ability to correctly read mammogram results? What do your doctors tell you concerning that issue?

RE: Mammogram results?

It seems like if the implant is under the chest muscle, the implant would not interfere with a mammogram at all.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-18-02 AT 09:01PM (Est)[/font][p]I've had implants since 1990 (back then they were silicone and $2000). I guess I'm the only one here that wouldn't do it again. Not that they've ever given me one minute of trouble. Yes, there was pain, but after 2 days it decreased and by day 6, I was back at work as an ER nurse...I just couldn't lift a heavy pt. for a week or so. The insertion point, for whomever asked, is under the breast, in my case. They are under the muscle which minimizes any chance of incapsulation cuz just brushing your teeth causes massage of that area. The only thing different re: mammograms is that they have to take twice as many pics...they get views without and without the implant (can you say "ouch"?) The best part is that now they are saline filled and they have a type that has a more natural shape. Not completely round like they used to be.

BUT!!!!! I wouldn't do it again. If I had never done it, I'd still be wishing I could do it, but now that I know what I know, I wouldn't. I've just decided that they aren't necessary. So, I was small breasted...SO WHAT!!! They were fine for my body. For some reason, folks think it's OK to comment on the size of someone's body parts, particularly breasts. I grew up teased about being flat and I let that influence my body image. Now, I'm older and know better. But, that's just my experience. I'm not saying that I'm unhappy with my surgery, just saying I wish that I could have been happy enough without it, not to have done it. Live and Learn.

Oh, and no, they don't feel weird. You can't feel them at all.

Robin http://www.smilies-world.de/Smilies/Smilies_klein_1/flower.gif

Sometimes I have felt that way (that I would be just as well off without them). One quick glance at my "before" pictures cures me every time. I was not small, just "went south" after baby. In an asymmetrical way.

There are 4 insertion points possible that I know of. Also there are several kinds of lifts. Some lifts can be achieved just with implants (hence fewer scars).

There will always be a scar somewhere. They haven't invented a scar-free procedure yet.

Some mammograms are easier to read. For example, mine, and it's a common way of doing it. I saw mine and saw how the implant frames the tissue. It looks very clean on the x-ray. Mine are under the muscle too. Saline.

Implantinfo.com is very informative. They have lots of pics.

To the person who says you don't know anybody who's had them: don't be so sure. They're a lot more common than people let on. You would be surprised. Lots of them are very natural looking!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.