Bodybuilding/Sculpting check-in;-)

Greetings everyone,

Here is the past week rotation:

Xtrain Week 2

Day 1 Burn Sets (CBS)
Day 2 Cardio Leg Blast
Day 3 Rest
Day 4 Legs (standing and barre and delts)
Day 5 Rockout Knockout
Day 6 Xtrain Ride, premix 2

So I completed my second week of Xtrain and wow, this program can be exhausting. My husband told me to take day 3 as a rest day, because I was worn out didn't want to get out of the bed. Anyone else feel tired from an Xtrain rotation??? I will probably only do 5 days a week anymore would be too much, hubby thinks 3 days is sufficient because the workouts are so tough.

Love cardio leg blast and I only did two sections of Legs. I'm still subbing Rockout Knockout for Hard Strikes. I love Rockout Knockout, the music and cueing are excellent. Total fun and sweat fest with this one. Major calorie burner.

Svetlana - I totally agree with tslop49- my husband doesn't workout with me. We will bike ride together on trails and we share the workout room, however, he does his own thing (treadmill, punching bag, and he does his own bodyweight routines), he was also an athlete in his younger days. However, he likes Cathe and Chalene and he always comments that it looks fun. I think I do motivate him and he cares about his health overall. My commitment to fitness in some ways provides competition. Even though he has never said that, he is a bit competitive as I think about it. And he will usually tell me how many rounds and push ups he has completed. I think his goal is to make sure that he is stronger than me and I think he likes to feel like he's coaching me, if that makes any sense. :)))) I'm sure that your attention to your health and fitness goals inspires your husband.

I've been previewing the ICE series and I think I'll be ordering just individual dvds. Don't think I need the full set. Looks pretty easy to make substitutions.

Have a great workout week.

Hello--hope everyone has had a great week. My daughters have been in town (they're still here) and I've eaten too much with Thanksgiving and just being off work with the family. Since my last check in:

Tuesday: STS #32 Plyo Legs + Precision Toning: Butt
Wednesday: STS #33 Shoulders, Biceps & Tricep + Precision Toning: Abs
Thursday: Great Glutes Extreme + TurboFire HIIT 15
Friday: P90X2 P.A.P. Upper + 5 Day Yoga/Power Core

Svetlana and Nathalie...good question!! Probably varies. Svetlana, how old is your husband? Several things can effect us guys and decrease motivation. Depression, and frequently low testosterone levels can really make it tough for some guys to get off the couch!!! Poor health can also be a deterrent ( that one is pretty obvious!!) For me, after getting polymyositis, I wanted to be strong enough to finish my career and provide for my family. Guys can motivate guys by being competitive, but if he feels really out is shape, that may seem daunting!! For me, and this sounds strange, I am more motivated by the ladies of these forums doing incredible w/o's and me just trying to keep up!! Like your husband, I have ZERO INTEREST in dancy stuff and only weights or bodyweight things. If he was an athlete, that helps cause he has been there, done that!! Maybe if you beat him in armwrestling, that will do it!! ( would make me grab a barbell, but sure some of the catheletes could!!) I feel terrible when I miss a w/o, but that may be another " mental health " issue!! He would feel much better, but I would guide him toward "manly" type w/os lol!! Good luck!!

Health condition --- Polymyositis has pushed you to embrace lifting weight. Inspirational. Glad we are all motivating each other
here to keep going:):). Dancy stuff is just not blokes/guys get interested in. There are so many other form of cardio to be limited to one in
particular. Also more versatile we get selecting various type of cardio, more likely we get interested, motivated .More un-likely we get bored.

This morning finished week 3 of Meso 3--only one week left! STS #39 Squat Rack Legs + Barbell Hip Thrusts 4x12 @ 80#. It was a challenging workout at 90% of 1RM!

We had a rough night last night--ice storm. It has destroyed almost all of our trees, possibly our roof, a tree hit the basketball goal beside our driveway and uprooted it into the driveway (along with the tree). Luckily at the beginning of the storm we made our oldest daughter move her car out of the driveway or else it would have been underneath the basketball goal and the tree. (the tree has always been problematic in storms, but never like this) Until we move all of this debris out of the driveway our cars are trapped in the garage. And the storm isn't over. Another one is supposed to hit us in a few hours. My daughters are leaving tomorrow so I will be able to respond more to other posts early next week probably. It is freezing outside right now, but tomorrow we will be cutting up trees and limbs all day.

Wow, Jen, be careful out there! Ice is so much more dangerous than snow. I hope your daughters have safe trips.

Yesterday was a rest day and another big dinner. This one was on my hubby's company at a very nice local restaurant. We have to do that all over again with a bigger company group next week. Ugh, I'm sick of eating already this holiday season!

Today was the treadmill. I wanted to listen to Adele's new album which is not really good for running (incredible music but mostly slow stuff) so I put it on the highest incline and walked. Turned out to be a great workout.

I can't seem to inspire my hubby to workout either. He does usually get in over 10,000 steps a day at work but that's the extent of his exercise. He is long and lanky like me but complains all the time about his belly fat. I can give him all kind of advice on how to work on getting rid of it, but he won't do any of it. Now I will say I've been able to get him to eat healthier but I wish that influence would also work with exercise.

Svetlana - I totally agree with tslop49- my husband doesn't workout with me. We will bike ride together on trails and we share the workout room, however, he does his own thing (treadmill, punching bag, and he does his own bodyweight routines), he was also an athlete in his younger days. However, he likes Cathe and Chalene and he always comments that it looks fun. I think I do motivate him and he cares about his health overall. My commitment to fitness in some ways provides competition. Even though he has never said that, he is a bit competitive as I think about it. And he will usually tell me how many rounds and push ups he has completed. I think his goal is to make sure that he is stronger than me and I think he likes to feel like he's coaching me, if that makes any sense. :)))) I'm sure that your attention to your health and fitness goals inspires your husband.

I've been previewing the ICE series and I think I'll be ordering just individual dvds. Don't think I need the full set. Looks pretty easy to make substitutions.

Have a great workout week.

@healing11 I bet you both keep each other accountable despite not working out together.

Which individual ICE workout are you ordering?

Jen, Hope you and your family stay safe. Take care and Be careful.

As to convincing partners, boyfriends, compagnons, husband etc...., us lady just have to carry on and they will , eventually,
realise they need to embrace the lifestyle!

My check in:
  • Wednesday: STS#10 CSB.
  • Thursday: STS#12 RwH Plyo Hiit2 and DIY Glutes.
  • Friday: crossfire and abs.
  • Saturday: Rest.
I have viewed the upper body chiseled. I can not wait to try this one:):). It will be one of the my first try out for sure.

Hope you are all having a great thanksgiving weekend.

Kind Regards:)

Tonight I did shoulders and arms..( not sure what I was thinking!!) It ended up being 40 sets! Ugh. Started with an 8 set pyramid of military press, 2 sets is side laterals, 2 sets of barbell front raise, 2 long sets of heavy barbell shrugs x30x20 and 2 sets of rear delt fly. Next was an 8 set pyramid of Ez bar curls, 3 sets of conc curls, and 1 set of 21s. For tris, 8 set pyramid of dumbbell skullcrushers, 2 sets of pushdowns, and feet on bench tri pushups x16x13. Jen, sorry to hear about the weather related issues and the work it entails!! Good you moved your daughters car! As to motivating your " significant others" ladies, it sounds like you are all setting an excellent example!! Maybe you ladies are too intimidating, and the bar seems a little high! I would " hate" the idea that my wife was in better shape or stronger than I was, and I would be motivated, but it might be intimidating to try and not succeed!! It's probably not uncommon. in this day and age, with the emphasis for women to get involved in strength training for this to happen! Hopefully you ladies will find a way!!

Hi gang! Been awhile since I've checked in. Work has gotten super busy over the last several months making it hard to check-in regularly, but I have still been keeping up with the forums.

Jen-I think you were the one on here that brought up the Weider PINK system a few months back. I, too, have been interested in this system but it was out of stock everywhere! Two days ago I got an email saying that it was back in stock at Walmart so I quickly jumped online and bought it for ~$60. But then today I discovered a groupon deal for the same exact set for only $20 bucks (I think it came to about $23 with shipping)!!! I quickly purchased one of the sets from groupon and have requested an order cancellation from Walmart. No sense in paying 3 times as much for the same workout set. Anywho, I wanted to pop online and send you the link:

https://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-weider-pink-workout-dvd-kit

Keeping my fingers crossed that Walmart can cancel my order, but even if they can't I'll just return it to the store when it arrives. So glad I came across the groupon deal!

Hope everyone had a nice Thanksgiving!

Thanks for the heads up SarBear--I let my husband know because he planned to give it to me for Christmas. He's ordering!

This morning was Element: Power Yoga then cutting and hauling branches for a few hours.

To contribute to the ongoing conversation on motivation--I used to motivate my husband but his chronic back pain made him quit working out again and since it constantly hurts, he hasn't returned to exercising (other than biking). It used to motivate him that I could lift heavier than him, but now he doesn't care. And I guess I can't blame him since he is always in pain. The only thing I encourage him to do any more is continue PT (physical therapy) and gentle yoga for back pain. He is motivated to bike ride and when the weather cooperates we do that 3-4 times a week at his instigation. He is good about the PT though to be honest it doesn't seem to be working anymore. He doesn't do the yoga consistently but I can get him to do it once or twice a week. Of course, in spite of this he has been sawing and hauling heavy limbs with me the past two days--not good for his back, but it has to be done.

I am now streaming Cathe Live! I had planned to sign up for the workout blender too, but that was when I thought the 15% off coupon applied to 6 months OR a year. It is only for a year subscription, so I did Live only--it gets expensive since you have to pay for the entire year upfront. Not a big deal--I already own everything I want of Cathe's anyway--except her live workouts. I was disappointed that the Live menu doesn't include a list of equipment needed for each workout. So before I do a workout I will have to find the forum post about it to know what equipment to have handy. There are a lot of Live workouts--and they look pretty awesome.

I've been watching the clips for ICE. For the most part I am excited about the workouts, tho To the Mat looked rather uninspiring. But we'll see. Metabolic Total Body looks pretty awesome. I am excited about that one. The muscle meltdowns look pretty cool too.

Last edited:
Hello SarBear! It's been awhile...hope you're doing well.

Today I did RWH LIHI Legs, premix #6, the one with the abs mixed in. Love this one! I also added on the barre bonus from Lower Body Blast. Yes, my legs are fried!

I plan to do a split for upper body this week but haven't decided what yet. Kind of leaning towards Gym Styles since it's been awhile, but doing RWH today made me remember how much I love the whole series so I may stick with RWH. It's so nice to have such an abundance of great choices!

Maybe you ladies are too intimidating, and the bar seems a little high! I would " hate" the idea that my wife was in better shape or stronger than I was, and I would be motivated, but it might be intimidating to try and not succeed!! It's probably not uncommon. in this day and age, with the emphasis for women to get involved in strength training for this to happen! Hopefully you ladies will find a way!!

I think you are right Tom:)
@tslop49

Today was chest day for me, and I "did it up right" It was a pretty tough 24 set day of benchpress/inclined bench only. I started with an 18 set pyramid of bench followed by 6 sets of incline bench, It felt good! I thought it might be a tough day because Sat night, I did a brutal 40 set shoulder/arm wo, but it didn't seem to bother todays gymfest! I'm trying for volume, but still want to go heavy, so a lot of shorter, heavy sets on the way up, then on the way down the pyramid I do longer sets at lighter weight until I feel burned out! Hope all survived the weekend and that this week is great for everyone!!

I placed my ICE order- Metabolic Total Body, To The Mat and Boot Camp. I didn't care much for the other videos. Upper Body Chisel looks pretty good, but I can get that at a later date.

Jen, sorry to hear about the weather damage. I hope you and your family are ok and that your husband takes it easy with his back. My husband just mentioned that he wants to cut the tree down this spring, maybe we should do it sooner.

Today's workout was GS Back, Shoulders and Biceps. I was able to up my weights for all of the back exercises...woohoo!! Love that, makes me feel so powerful.

I was checking the Daily Deals today and saw that CTX was finally on sale for 50% off. Couldn't pass it up! Then I thought, well, I want the free shipping so I need to get my total over $50 (just an excuse to keep shopping!). So I also picked up Body Max 2 and Drill Max. I have shied away from these mainly because of the step work in them, but I'm willing to give them a go. Plus, the BM2 premix for upper body really piqued my interest. As always, Jen, thanks for your great reviews! I always check them before making a Cathe purchase.

Today was back day, and I decided to do chin ups until I couldn't do at least 3 a set. What happened was strange I did 12x8x6x5x4 then 14 sets of 3 before I could only get 2 reps in!!! Strange! Next I did bent over barbell rows 4x8 and straight leg deads 2x8. Have a great day everyone!

Looks like you got some great workouts Jodi! I'm glad my reviews helped! And congrats on increasing your weight! GS upper body workouts are super tough. I think GS upper body splits and RwH upper body splits are the hardest of all of Cathe's strength training workouts. I always feel like I should be doing those frequently.

I am feeling so overwhelmed by Cathe Live choices! This is my last week of STS and since it doesn't appear ICE will be here before next week I am trying to plan my workouts for next week--but there is so much I want to do! I have more library barre check outs, I have Cathe Live, then workouts I own and love that have not gotten the attention they deserve. I don't know what to do! I did pick out the first few Cathe Lives I want to sample. I just need to figure out when. And of course ICE will be here soon--even if it isn't next week, it may be the week after. What to do!?!?!?

Monday: STS #34 Chest & Back; doubles: KCM Athletic Conditioning w/o 1
Today: STS #35 Plyo Legs; planned doubles: Precision Toning: Arms and Legs

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.