Body Max

Liz556

Cathlete
Can anyone tell me what Cathe's "oldie but goodie" workout Body Max is like? It looks really long (about 90 minutes) so I was hoping someone could give me an idea of how it is set up and the intensity level of the workout. Thanks for your help!

Liz

I just did this routine for the 1st time last week and I loved it. It kicked my butt. It's got a little bit of everything in it which keeps it interesting and makes the time go by quickly.

First there is about a 30 minute step segment with 3 combos, I think. Then 20-30 minutes of circuit training - step segments followed by weights focusing on the lower body. Then there is about 30 minutes of upper body exercises.

It's ranked at 8.98 on the Cathe level of difficulty scale in the Circuit training category behind Bootcamp at 9.05. See ULTIMATE GUIDE TO CATHE'S WORKOUTS"

There is a detailed breakdown of the workout at this website...
http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/friedbm.php

Thanks so much for your feedback. This sure looks like a killer workout! I'll put it on the list! Thanks again!

Liz

I did this workout for the first time this morning. I have the Power Hour/MIS/Body Max on one DVD. I have owned the DVD for a very long time and have always just done Power Hour.

Well let me tell you, Body Max was awesome. I mean I worked up a sweat. I had never even previewed this tape. It was easy to catch on because many of the moves/language I have learned in her other step tapes. I loved the heel, toe, over the step and jack. It is just my favorite. She even has a section where you do lunges while standing on the step and lunge side to side from the long length of the step. THe power circuit drills are great also. I had so much fun this morning do this tape. I didn't do the upper body section this morning. It was about an hour work out without, so I figured I would just add the upper body onto my cardio workout tomorrow.

This workout doesn't have all those plyo jumps, etc. that I hate so much.

I want to buy Body max, but I previewd the video clip and it seemed like it was mainly endurance. I'm more into building muscle, not so much endurance. Do you think this is good for me, or better of endurance, not buidling? And is this going to be the same for Body Max 2? Thanks for any help!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

I did this workout this morning after being on vacation for a week and not doing much of anything. I wanted cardio and to work each body part which this workout does. The upper body portion can give you a good strength workout if you use heavier weight (which I actually find a little more difficult to do because of the pace of the reps).

A couple of months ago I broke this workout up. It was part of rotation during a week when I wanted to incorporate more cardio for fat loss but still wanted to hit each body part. This idea may help you get more strength gains out of the workout. After doing this for two consecutive days, I really felt great (and kinda wish I had done it this way today and tomorrow - maybe in a couple of weeks!). These time out longer than an hour but I'm not sure exactly how long:

Day 1:
Body Max: do WU/Cardio/Interval Leg Circuit/Cooldown
Pure Strength Legs: do Floor Exercises only/Abs/Stretch

Day 2:
Low Max: Cardio Only Premix - do WU & Cardio portion only
Body Max: do Cooldown/UB/Abs/Stretch

Do you think I should get this workout then, if it is good for muscle building? and possibly Body Max 2 when it comes out? Thanks for your help!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

If you really want to concentrate on muscle building, I'd go for the GS workouts, PUB/PLB, and S&H for splits; and MM and MIS for total body. I don't know what you already have but those would be first choices for strength training and no cardio. BM is the first workout I may reach for after a lengthy vacation or after a few days of rest and I've got pent up energy. It's great for those days when you've got tons of energy and want to get it all (cardio & weight training). You don't get a full hour of each but you get it all! But you can always mix it up with other workouts (as I'm experimenting with now) and it's a good addition to a fat loss rotation. Plus this dvd has Power Hour and MIS, two great total body workouts to add to your collection, so you can't really go wrong with this purchase, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to Body Max 2. Much like on the first, I expect Cathe will really make us work hard on that one!

Thanks dcat! I accually have MM, SH, and GS series, but don't have PUB/PLB. I thought that one was more for endurance, not strength. thanks for your help!

~Adri;-)
|_|_|
|_|_|
|_|_|

>Thanks dcat! I accually have MM, SH, and GS series, but don't
>have PUB/PLB. I thought that one was more for endurance, not
>strength.

I always make it more of a strength workout by putting longer breaks between sets, especially on the lower body.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.