Bicep curl question

fitlulu

Cathlete
Cathe--

How is a dumbbell curl different from a barbell curl? I did SH yesterday, and after the DB and hammer curls, I really wanted to give you a piece of my mind while picking up the barbell!!!;)

--fitlulu

dumbbell curls isolate one arm from the other - with a barbell, you're lifting the weight with both arms and your stronger arm can compensate for the weaker one; with dumbbell curls, that is not the case, as each arm works independently - also, with dumbbell curls, you can change the position of your hands (i.e. standard curls, concentration curls, hammer curls, etc.) and target the heads of the bicep in different ways. The most effective regimens include both dumbbell and barbell curls, for those reasons.

I have a question that goes along with this...Why is it that when I use the barbell to do the curls my wrists hurt and I am not able to do much else for the day? They can't take the strain. Can I just do more dumbbell curls and still get the same results?

If your wrists hurt, it could be a few things - weak wrists (you can do wrist curls with light weights to strengthen them - Cathe actually does this in a few of her workouts); poor form - be certain your wrists remain totally straight and that you are lifting with your biceps exclusively - the only movement should be the hinge of your elbow; or latestly, too much weight on the barbell - try lightening the load a bit to ensure you have proper form and build up to the heavier weights. Hope that helps - good luck!

One last option relative to discomfort on your wrists would be to use a curling bar (EZ curl bar) rather than a straight bar. The bends in the bar allow you to curl with your wrists/hands in a more natural position. Try that one at the gym (or sporting good store) and see if that is more comfortable.

I just did GSBSB and was really having a problem with my right elbow while doing bicep curls with the barbell and also that lying overhead press thing (where your lying on the bench and, with elbows bent you lower the barbell from your chest... over your head). BOTH really bug my elbow(s). I've been wondering if an EZ Curl bar would help?

could help - also, form again - make sure you're elbows aren't floating out and away from your body on either exercise.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.