Benefits to rotations?

missyb70

Cathlete
What are the benefits of doing an actual rotation? I have some of Cathe videos/dvds, but not a lot. I was planning on doing whatever workout I felt like doing that particular morning and just alternating cardio and weight workouts like I have in the past (i.e., cardio m-w-f-sa and weights t-th). Or would I see better results by coming up with a rotation? If rotations are the way to go, how do I choose one?? I'm not new to Cathe, but unfortunately I've been VERY lazy for the past year and have rarely worked out, but I'm ready to start again. I have about 25 lbs to lose. I checked the video/dvd rotations forum but didn't see anything with the dvds/tapes I have (I am willing to purchase new dvds as well):

Cardio Kicks
Bootcamp
Muscle Endurance
Interval Max
Power Hour
Pure Strength Series
I also like to walk for cardio

I also have FIRM tapes:
Tough Aerobic MIs
Tough Tape
Aerobic Intervals
Body Sculpting
5 Day Abs

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!

Hello. I wanted to let you know that I have lost 28 pounds in 7 months without being on a specific rotation. I have on certain weeks done just the Intensity Series, the Body Blast series, and even Crosstrain Express; however, I have basically done what I was motivated to do that day as you mentioned. After Cathe posted her rotation for January, I decided to try it. I love having it planned out for me for a change. I believe a rotation CAN help you at least stay on track.

Anyway, I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as most of the people here on this website, but I wanted to share this info because it was close to home, so to speak.

Good luck,
Teresa

I started using the step back in, I think, 1991, and Cathe's Step N Motion as the first tape I got. I have been hooked on Cathe ever since, and I think there are only a couple of her tapes that I *don't* have. I have tapes by other instructors, too, but nobody else works me like Cathe.

Anyway, like you, for years I just picked a tape, depending on what I felt like doing that day. After a while, though, I got bored. Not that Cathe is boring, but I tend to be a creature of habit. I found I was doing the same tapes in the same sequence, and it was getting deadly.

Rotations do three things for me:

1. They allow me not to think. Everything is planned out, and I no longer stand in front of my video collection for 15 minutes going, "What do I feel like doing today?"

2. They force me to vary my workouts. There are some tapes, like BodyMax, because of its length and intensity, that I tend not to do unless they're on a rotation. :)

3. They shake things up. Cathe's rotations will often have me doing part of one tape and then part of another tape on the same day (or two tapes in one day). This provides more of a challenge, both mentally and physically.

Some rotations also focus on specific results (boosting metabolism, toning upper body), and that is an additional benefit.

Hope this helps,
Deborah R.

Deborah gave some good responses, but rotations also allow you to look back and see what worked for you. If you do a given rotation for 6 weeks and lose 10lbs, then you know it is effective for you. A different rotation, and you may not lose anything so you know you need to switch that up.

Really, I think rotations are the equivalent to a workout log in traditional lifting. They just give you a point of reference if you so wish one. I can never stick to one though hard and fast. I am always too sore to do something in every rotation. You need to give your body rest if that is what it needs. I have been perusing some of these rotations, and while very worthwhile, I would never be able to keep up with them. I would have to cut it back to around 4-5 days max working out. Problem with Cathe is, if you heavy up on lower body weights it is very hard to crank out IMAX or KPC the next day, you know? I really don't know how these ladies do it!!! My legs need about 3 days recovery after PLB. No kidding!

Janice

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.