Beginner/Intermediate Check-In 3/19-3/25

khiway

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

This morning I did GS Chest & Triceps Supersets which was 31 min.
For this one I used 8,10 and 15 pounds dumbells. Janet I know you said you bought some dumbells that are inbetween sizes and I think I am going to get some this weekend. I would like to get 6, 7 9, 11,12,13 and 14 if they have them. Beth I love Leslie 5 mile walk although I only did the entire 5 mile walk one time through. The best option I like from her 5 mile is option 2 which is 3 miles with 2 fast miles and 1 mile with hand weights. Janet you have a super step? I think I seen Cathe use one in one of her vids if it is the same one I am thinking about. Can you do step aerobics on it?
I have my scheduled outline for the rest of the week but usually when I post it I never do the entire workout. So for right now I am just going to post my workouts after I do them. I am aiming for short workouts this week 45 minutes to 70 minutes, though.

--Kimberly C

"Here's to your health, to every moment, every week and month that you wake up to the privilege of another breath - another chance to get it right!" Oprah

I was pretty stiff and sore starting last night and into this morning. I don't know if it was the walk itself or the walk-yoga combo. I should have worn my HR monitor to see how the 5 mile walk stacks up to stepping.
I have only seen the in between sizes up to 10 pounds, but I have never seen 11, 13 or 14. BUT there is something called PlateMates that you can put on your dumbells (google search them) or you can wear 1-2 pounds wrist weights while you lift.
Today I did Basic Step and it did seem to loosen me up a little. Then some stability ball abs. I hope I have recovered by tomorrow to do Pyramid Lower Body!
Beth

Beth the wrist weights idea sounds a lot better. I will get those instead. Thanks!!

--Kimberly C

"Here's to your health, to every moment, every week and month that you wake up to the privilege of another breath - another chance to get it right!" Oprah

I like that idea of the wrist weights! I might actually have a pair somewhere. I know I have ankle weights too.
My DH is going to kill me. My workout stuff has taken over the whole house! In the basement I have my Total Body Gym, my treadmill, and my stationary bike. In the living room I have my new Super Stepper, my barbell, and 6 sets of dumbells. lol
He has been so supportive..at least for now. He has yet to receive the credit card statement for this month!
:eek:
Today I did Kathy Smith Lift Weights to Lose Weight 2. I felt that I needed to really concentrate on my form, and that dvd she really explains positioning...especially helpful that she demonstrates on the people working out with her. She goes right up to them and points out the muscles being worked and the back alignment etc. That really helped me today, but the workout itself wasn't much of a challenge. I didn't feel much burn the way I do when I follow Cathe's workouts. Still waiting for my dvd's to come. Fit Tv they had Legs and Glutes again, which I had already done twice this week.
Tomorrow I am going to do cardio..not sure what yet. If my Low Impact Step dvd comes tomorrow, I really want to do that.
Have a great week!
Janet

Hi Kimberly,
Yes, the Super Step is the one Cathe uses in some of her videos. I just love it! The risers snap in better, more securely,which is great. My other stepper I was always losing a riser. I do my step workouts on it...without the risers it is a 6 inch stepper..with the 4 risers it is a 15 inch workout bench, which I deperately needed.I really love this stepper..can you tell?lol
I haven't seen the in between size dumbells in the higher weights...I think the highest they had was 9 pounds.
Janet

Hi everyone,

This morning I did GS Back/Biceps (35 min) and Basic Step (30 min).
This time I did the weights workout first then the step workout. Even though I am use to doing cardio first then weights. I was able to jump right into cardio without hesitation or dragging this morning. I am still using 8, 10 and 15 pound dumbells which I can tell is already making a difference. I feel a lot better. I seen Cathe used a 12 pounder in the workout. Janet, right now I am doing my step on a 4 inch platform and if I push myself I could probably step on 6 inches. I guess I would say I am at a comfort level but I still sweat. Eventually I am going to try going up to 6 inches.
I am glad you really like your super step!

--Kimberly C

Hi Kimberly..
Funny you should post that today about doing the weight training first.I usually do cardio first because I always felt it loosened up my muscles, but after doing a really intense cardio, I have been having a harder time keeping form when doing any sort of weight training, and sometimes I have to quit before finishing. When I do the weight workouts without doing cardio first, I KNOW my form is better because I dont get the cramps or pain in my knees, and I can usually get through the entire workout.
Today I am going to try what you did, weights first and a cardio after.I need to do an upper body weight training today and give my legs a bit of a rest, so I will be doing one of Cathe's upper body workouts..haven't decided which one yet..I know I have an upper body one that I taped from FitTV.. and I will also do my Kathy Smith step since I know it so well, and after doing weights, I dont think I really want to do a long and intense cardio..just something a little simple but that gets the heart pumping.
I have never used a 15 pound dumbell...still working up to 12 pounds. 2 weeks ago I was only able to use 5 pounds, so I am definately getting stronger! lol
Have a great day!
Janet

Yesterday I did IMAX Extreme and I got through it. I wasnt sure I would be able to because it was sooo long. Today I will be doing ME, taped from fit tv and 30 minutes on the elliptical. Tomorrow my daughter has a track meet so that will be my rest day. I havent figured out the rest of the week yet. I only have two dvds right now, terminator and KPC/L&G.

Low Max is on Fit tv today. I am taping it so I can fast foward the commercials. Been wanting to do that one, so that is what I am doing today. Watching it now on tv to get the combos before trying it.
I am so disappointed that my cable is cancelling Fit TV, I watch it every day and tape alot of workouts.
:-(
IMAX Extreme looks scary! It will probably be awhile before I can work up to that one!

Janet

Janet, my living room has been taken over with equipment too. Fortunately my husband shares a lot of it so he doesn't complain! We sometimes have to fight over my 14 inch Firm box though. I like it better than using the high step with risers, its much more stable and easier to do triceps dips.
For weights workouts, there's none better than Cathe! I never had any kind of muscle definition until I started using Cathe. I started with Power Hour/MIS/CTX and then went on from there.
Kim, be careful when you go to 6 inch step height. Your knees may not like it. I don't have Fit TV, but you know Cathe's premixes make buying her DVD's so worthwhile I really don't mind. And her web site clips are so long you really know what you are buying.
Today I did Pyramid Lower Body. Its easier than Gym Style Legs! So I was pleasantly surprised, it wasn't as hard as I remembered it being. In fact, it was just right for how I felt today.
I'm changing up my basic rotation a bit. Intead of Cardio-LB-Cardio-UB I'm going to do LB-UB-Cardio. Its a 3 day rotation I will just keep on until I need a rest day thrown in. I feel I get good cardio from doing standing legs anyway. Core work most days too as an add on. Tomorrow I clean house so no workout except Yoga stretching. Then Pyramid Upper Body on Wednesday!
Beth

Janet, I have Fit TV and recorded the Pyramids and Low Max on my DVR. My DVR is in my bedroom so I just need to figure out how to record it on my VCR. Supposedly the reason why you should do the weights first before cardio is because your muscles would burn more fat. When I had a personal trainer he wanted me to do it that way but because of the times of the step class I took I couldn't do it that way. I think I will just stay with the 4" platform for now until it gets to easy for me. Sometimes I think I can't imagine using a 6" or 8" step but that the same thing I said when I was using 5 pounds dumbells and now the 5 pounds to me feel like 3 pounds:)
I wonder what would happen if 15 pounds became too easy :eek:

--Kimberly C

Hi everyone,

This morning I did Muscle Max Legs only (23 min) first then I did Karen Voight Just Cardio (24 min). The Gym styles really have your muscles going and I only did the short workouts on them. This is my 3rd day of straight exercise this week. Beth, how do you like Karen Voight?

--Kimberly C

Today is the first day, since I started seriously working out daily, that I woke up with NO sore muscles at all!!! I'm so excited!!! lol
My thighs were burning all day yesterday from Low Max...but this morning.. nothing!I received my Low Impact Step dvd yesterday so I am going to do that and the total body sculpting. Love using the stability ball, so I am looking foward to today's workout.
Have a great day!
Janet

lol..wish you guys could see my 2 1/2 yr old daughter right now. She is wearing MY sneakers,standing on my stepper holding a pair of pink 1 pound dumbells yelling "excercise!!!"
Figures the batteries are dead in my camera!
Janet

Sounds like you missed taking a very cute picture!!!
I am one of those weird people who respond to weights workouts about like cardio. They seem to have the same effect (or lack of) on my weight. I think my diet is 95% of my scale weight. HOWEVER that said I do think that weight training improves my appearance! I just look more toned and sculpted than if I did pure cardio.
After cleaning house this am I took a nap! When I woke up I was full of energy so plowed ahead with Pyramid Upper Body and abs from MIS. It went OK, but I probaly shouldn't do that again on cleaning day as i could feel my back pulling during some of the moves where you are bent over. I may just do a "whatever" rotation for a while which consists of whatever I feel like doing that day! It can be cardio, weights split, circuit, total body weight, or yoga. Yes, I need to get less regimented for a while I think. Also the weather is finally warming up to the promised 80's in the next few days so I will be adding back my biking and swimming to the mix. Don't be jealous of my weather because very soon it will be 100 plus degrees for 5 months straight.
Beth

Janet, how cute that would have been on a picture!! Beth I know weight training approves my appearance. I not really focused the scale but only inches lost and overall appearance as far as muscle tone. I actually didn't plan a rest day today but my body is telling me to take one. The Gym Styles really having your muscles working for days. Tomorrow I will be doing Karen Voight Sweat Effect and Karen Voight Just upper Body from her Burn and Firm DVD.

--Kimberly C

Good morning!
Yesterday I did Low Impact Step and Total Body.I really didn't feel challenged during the step routine,but it was fun and easy.
Total Body was pretty easy for me too,but I think I need to do these intermediate workouts and not jump right into the harder ones, like Push and Pull and Legs and Glutes.. I am afraid that if I just do the harder, challenging ones that I will hit a plateau too soon and I still have about 15 more pounds of fat to lose...hopefully by June. Plus my knees are pretty sore, so that tells me I need a slower pace to focus more on doing the excercises RIGHT, even if at the time I feel like I want to do more or go heavier. Does that make sense? lol
So,today,I am going to do Low Max, since I want to keep my cardio challenging,and I love that workout.. but I am resting from lifting weights. Tomorrow I will do Impact Step and Total Body again...but I am going to add more ab work. Thats my biggest trouble spot. Was thinking of buying Cathe's Ab Hits. Anyone do that one? Is it really hard? I hate doing abs,but I am getting better at it.
I am still waiting for my Basic Step dvd to get here. I want to do Body Fusion and add that to my rotation.Sounds like a fun workout.
Have a great day!
Janet

Beth, I would kill for some 80 degree weather...and I LOVE the heat. I live in NY and its cold here this week. Hate the cold! Give me hot dry weather and I'm happy!
lol
Janet

Kimberly, I do like Karen Voight-some of her stuff. It kind of depends. In the early days she was all about tough cardio and circuits. She has lightened up her cardio workouts since then and added a lot more interesting toning and Pilates/Yoga stuff. The thing is, I don't get results from her even though I get sore!!!! Janet, ab hits is made up of all of Cathe's earliest ab routines that are almost all crunches. Since I have all her dvd's I didn't buy ab hits becuase i can re-create any ab routine. She does some combos of 2 routines back to back but I really find one set of 10 minute crunches with her is enough! I mean, how many crunches can you do? Instead, I like to mix up my core work with Pilates which works the core differently than crunches. Also the Intensity Series has awesome core work in the BootCamp/ME DVD. You could consider Coremax also, but I really didn't care for it. I'd rather do Pilates.
Today I did miles 1-2-3 of Leslie's 5 mile and then Denise Austin Pilates. It totalled about an hour, and then I followed that with the band stretch from Stretchmax. I am LOVING this 5 mile walk DVD and how you make any workout you want from it.
Tomorrow I don't have a plan but will listen to my body and see what I feel like! I haven't had a rest day in a while but will wait until I feel I need one.
Beth

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.