bathing suit season.....so depressing

trprwife

Cathlete
Hi all. I am so depressed. I tried on a two piece today and I looked awful in it. I have a "thick, short" waist and I can never get a two piece that doesn't push my fat over the bottom. I have two really cute one pieces that hold everything in. I've been working really hard and I thought this year, I am gonna get that darn two piece........so not. I have a layer of belly fat from having kiddies (4). I don't really want to loose any weight....5'6" and 125#...of course I would love to loose 5 more, but I am quite content with my weight. I just can't loose this darn middle fat. I know what I have to do is eat clean. I have the working out part down cold. I just can't seem to commit to it (the eating clean). I am so jealous of these women I read on these forums that talk about how clean they eat. You go girls. Anywho, I just wanted to vent about being depressed and feeling fat over some stupid two piece. Why do we (ok, maybe just me) obsess over this. I have a friend who is very overweight and she has not a problem with it. She wears her bathing suit with pride. I'm half her size...maybe even more....and I obsess over some belly fat that is there because I have 4 beautiful children. Maybe I should look at it that way. Yes, I do have some belly fat, but I "earned" that belly fat. Oh well, what to do...what to do.

Kim

Hi Kim. Why not just wear a one-piece? They often look great, more athletic, more useful. You're in good shape and this will keep the one part you don't like strapped in and flattened down. One less place to worry about sunburning also.

I have problems with my butt/saddlebag area. That's where the last awful jelly-bits live on my body. I found a great Speedo short bottom in Key West recently. It's like workout shorts, only made of shiny royal blue Speedo fabric. I can wear a skimpy sports top bathing suit and my shameful subunits are as presentable as they can be.

The one piece is a good idea.

How about a tankini? All the benefits of a bikini with tummy coverage. :)

Erica

Kim,

I can totally relate to your obsession. It is mine, too, every year!
I have already started ordering various 2 piece tankinis from the catalogs, to find the perfect suit. I have also been working out hard, but if I could just stay away from the dessert I might have a slightly more trim middle! I ask myself the same questions as you - why do I obsess over this? I guess I have always hoped to look very nice and althletic in a swimsuit. It may never happen, but I think it is kind of fun to have something to strive for. Whatever motivates you, right?!

Rhonda :7

Hi Kim.

I highly recommend going to LandsEnd.com and trying on some of their swimsuits using their Virtual Model feature.

I just purchased a long torso mock-tankini slender suit (a one piece that looks like a two-piece tankini) from their Outlet for $39.50. I "tried on" many suits on my custom-made virtual model before purchasing. The suit I bought is a keeper -- fits great and has lots of coverage where I wanted it! ;-)

Don't miss out on all the fun in the water -- there's a suit there for every body and body type.

Ann

Oh KImmy,Kimmy,Kimmy........I feel your pain! I am short waisted as well and the only part that really bothers me about my body is my ruler shape! Actually,over the last couple of monthes is seems as if I have gained weight.Alot of my pants are to tight so Lori needs to buckle down and keep her mouth shut;( My problem comes from picking.I can stand in the kitchen and eat a box of crackers and not think that it counts b/c it wasn't a meal, go figure.
And the same with me.I haven't got a problem with working out.If I was only as dedicated to clean eating as I was my workouts.We went out last night and all I did was freight about what in Gods name I was going to put on.THen I called my friend and she was looking in her closet in dismay and then our other friend shows up at the bar and says something along the lines of getting fat.Meanwhile she has a tiny waist and a nice figure.
Bottom line...I think we see oursleves differently from how other people see us.Some people say to me, how do you stay so small? ANd I am thinking...is she talking to ME?
Another short story,my husband worked with this guy who is really into wroking out and so is his girlfriend.She is a VERY petite girl and beautiful.Somewhere along the way, these people intimadate me.This weekend ,actually right now, we were suppose to be hanging out with them and getting into a hot tub.I spent the last 3 days trying to figure out what in God's name I was going to wear and how could I get out of getting in a hot tub.Talk about petty.I will try to get out of having a bit of fun just b/c I think there is something wrong with my body.
Anyway, here I am not in a hot tub and as happy as a pig in sh&*.My husband decided that he didn't want to go b/c he was to tired.
There really is not a lot of importance behind my stories...just wanted to let you know that you aren't the only women in the world who feels this way.And it is nice to know that I am a little bit normal as well....;)
Lori

Kim,
Sometimes it seems like dressing-room mirrors are lighting are designed to make us look our worst (doesn't make much sense if they want to make sales. If I owned a clothing store, I'd have muted pink-tinted lighting, or even candelight in all dressing rooms!)

As others have suggested, what about a tankini? There are also some cute styles out that have little skirts or shorts. QVC shows a line of swimwear that has tummy control (gut reducer!) panels and some rather cute styles with shorts and skorts and the like.

I haven't worn a bathing suit for years, and my pasty white legs don't exactly look the best in them, but I'd go for one of those cute short styles.

Hi Kim,
I have the exact same problem as you. And I also don't eat as clean as I should. Maybe this new I.S. will help and I'll keep trying to eat better.

Joanne

Hi Kim:

many people have a body part that is not what they would like it to be. Only 0.00000000000000001 % og the population actually looks like a model from Victoria's Secret catalogue.

Personally, I am ashamed of my skin which is the worst in my family and people always feel obliged to make comments on it, from family members (when will you stop getting spots?) to doctors (you know there's a lot of pills we could give you to get rid of those), blah, blah. Mostly it is scarring from bad skin of the past. Swimsuit season is a nightmare for me because it means the whole world at the beach gets to see what a minefield the skin on my back really is. And all those cute low back or backless dresses for Summer? Forget them.

Last year I began to seriously indulge in some people watching at my local lake here in Michigan which we call our beach when we swim there in Summer. And you know what I realised? No-one else cared about what I looked like. And no-one else there had a perfect body either. For starters my husband is the puniest, white-as-a-sheet man at the beach! But he sure has fun with the kids in the water! Most of the ladies are either pregnant, post-pregnancy or displaying bodies that have birthed and given life. Most of the men have large guts, white flabby butts or just look like your average Dad forced to leave the business suit at home for the day.

The people with the "best bodies" were the teenage lifeguards, male and female, who as yet, have no real experience of life and so are allowed to get away with it!!!

So, I have decided to not care whether some person whom I will probably never ever see again in my entire existence thinks my body in a one-piece looks less than perfect: I will wear it anyway because my husband likes the way I look and I could no longer give a s**t about anyone else's opinion.

You go girl! Wear whatever you want, and wear it with pride.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.