Barbells vs Dumbbell

msperkey

Cathlete
I'm doing body beast and they are using db's for their presses and squats.. I feel that a press is a press, but want to know if I'm not doing the program right if I choose the barbell over the dumbbell? I can lift heavier with the barbell even with my squats..
Also~ there is a Trap exercise in the shoulder routine, I am paranoid about my traps getting big, so I leave the shrug out..any worries?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

Dumbbells challenge the body in ways that a barbell can not. It's okay to sub in a barbell at times if you like but I wouldn't make it a permanent change.

I wouldn't worry about skipping shrugs...in fact, I would recommend it.

HTH:)

I recently completed Body Beast and I substituted some moves with the barbell. Some w/o's I would use dumbbell's and with others I broke out my barbell -- just to change things up. I also find exercises like the squat, bench press, deadlift, just feel more comfortable with the barbell as opposed to dumbbells. You can also go A LOT heavier using the bar :eek: so there's that advantage as well. Just for me personally, I love my barbell and will find any way to incorporate it into my exercise regime. Currently I'm doing a Nia Shanks program and all of the exercises require a barbell. I'm a happy camper :eek::D.

LOL don't worry about the shrugs making your traps huge :D. I did them with heavy weights throughout the entire program and I don't look like Bane from Batman ;).

Good luck!

You should feel free to use the barbell and dumbbells wherever you so choose, regardless of what anyone else says or thinks about the efficacy of any move with one piece of equipment over another.

This is YOUR workout, do what works for YOU!

No matter what Cathe may do on any particular workout, I will never, for example, do shoulder presses with a barbell. It's too uncomfortable for me, I just can't get the movement arc right. Nor do I use the barbell for plie squats because it makes me lean forwards too much. However, I prefer the barbell for rows for the back and regular squats because, as Natasha says, you can carry a heavier weight on your back than you can in your hands where the forearms give out.

The movement can work the muscles differently with the different equipment because each will allow for a different range of movement, so you should feel free to mix it up as you like.

Clare

Hello there,

If I was in your shoes, I would ask myself why do I prefer the use of the barbell for *all* exercises? If your form is better using barbell then use it. I would advise you review form pointers and improve the executions rather than give up on an equipment.

Another question you need to ask yourself is if you want variety, challenge in your workout. Being restricted to the use of dumbbell/or Barbell , you wouldn't be versatile. For example squat you would be limited in the amount of load for each hand while doing lunges.

Barbell does enable to go heavier. Depending on the move you will realise at some stage you can only use one rather than the other.

Example: back under grip row, over 50 pound load total lifting dumbbell is too much on wrist., IMO

Example: hammer curl you can only be done using dumbbell. I love the way it cooks the arm really good:D;)

Example: working shoulders press again, although I do both dumbbell and Barbell depending on the program i am on, I prefer barbell as it enables me to lift safely a heavy load to challenge shoulders. Holding bb with good form. The weight is better distributed along holding a bb than a db while doing a shoulder press.

To sum up. It's up to you whether you want to constantly progress and be challenged. Bb can make a move more challenging and safer.

it's up to you whether you want to be versatile or not.

All the best,

Last edited:
Hey all, thanks for the responses.. I DO change up my exercises with db and bb, and usually use the db's until I go heavier the. Switch to bb. For example, I did beast build legs and on the 12 & 8 rep count, I used the bb cuz I went heavier on wts.. I just wanted to make sure I was doing things right, guess I will keep at it, tha is again!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.