Barbell Question

Ann1964

Cathlete
Hi Cathe. I am new to your workouts. I have the DVD's of PS, S & H, Power Hour/MIS/Body Max and I have the new Vol. 2 & 3 coming. My question is I am having problems with the barbell segments. I know you are going to think this is strange but I do not have enough flexibility in my upper body to hold the barbell. My hands/arms will not go back far enough for me to hold it. I hope you understand.

Will I get the same benefits if I use dumbbells or can you recommend some exercises for my UB.

Thanks Cathe, and if you dont have time to answer right away that is OK too.

bye
Ann

Hi Ann! This is not strange at all. Many people comment on feeling this way. When I first started weight training I experienced it too. It eventually subsided for me overtime.

Yes you can use dumbbells and get the same benefits for the most part. But sometimes the barbell may just make it easier for you to go heavier due to the weight distribution and location of the weight being balanced over the center of your body.

Continue to use dumbbells since it is more comfortable for you but at the same time you can work on your flexibilty training through either yoga tapes or other flexibility/stretch based tapes. Focus on stretches that open up the upper body, but most specifically the shoulders, arms, and chest area.

Another option is to hold the loaded barbell in a straddle stance position. If you need more guidance as to what a straddle stance position is, please let me know. Good Luck!

Thanks Cathe I do need to know what you mean by straddle stance.

I work in a hospital and I asked the P.T sports therapist to show me some stretches and he gave me some great ones to try.

I appreciate your repsonse.

bye

Hi Ann! The straddle stance is when you place the loaded barbell on the floor (so the weighted ends face east and west)and then stand over it in a split stance (so your feet are in the north and south position). Now bend down and pick the barbell up so that it is between your legs and do lunges like this. For squats you can hold the barbell across the front of the chest the way I have in some videos for plie squats or you can hold a weighted plate against your chest. The stretches will be of great benefit for you and I think you will find over time that you will gradually be able to put the bar on the shoulders for a set or two and maybe even the whole time eventually. Good Luck!

Ann, I don't yet own a barbell so I've only been using my dumbbells(8-25#) for Cathe's strength videos. I have still managed to see great results.:) I do hope to get a barbell in the future since I think the squats would be more comfortable. The weight can get tiring on my shoulders having it at the sides.
Good luck! Susan

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.