Awwwwww Nuts...

atomlinson

Cathlete
Ok, posted a question a while ago about eating clean and got sooooo many good responses. Bought the Oxygen Abs issue, which is very helpful. I have been eating clean now for about 2 weeks and have seen very good results. I have cut out almost all processed foods. I was a major Diet Coke-aholic, but I cut down to caffine free DC then cut that out all together, I am drinking lots of water, eating lots of fruits and veggies, chicken, fish...my dilemma...I found out, at least I think, that nuts are good for you. I know that they have lots of protien, but I have always stayed away from them because of their fat content. I know that they contain a good fat, but I just want to make sure that I am not sabotaging all my efforts. I originally started losing all my weight about 15 years ago by following a fairly strict low fat diet. I am so use to doing that now that it is hard for me to eat something that has 15 grams of fat per serving. I love almonds and especially cashews...am I ok? Maybe a stupid question, but you guys have been so helpful in the past that I thought I would ask anyway. Thanks! :D

This is a great question. I too have tried to wean myself off the "high fat content = bad" way of thinking when I learned about good fats. Someone told me that eating 8 almonds a day can prevent all kinds of cancer. Another diet (South Beach?) promotes almonds but limits them to 12 a day. If you look at a serving size, that totals 22 almonds.
Anyone have any expert advice on this? Has anyone maintained a diet that has a good presence of nuts and has still lost weight?

:) THANKS TOO!

No expert here, but:

I've used nuts on my diets and never had a problem. Almonds have calcium and walnuts have the omega-3 fatty acids that are so good for your heart and cholesterol. I also love peanuts, cashews, Brazil nuts, sunflower seeds and pistachios. The only ones I avoid are macadamias - I'm not wild about them, and they have saturated fat in them. And I buy raw unsalted nuts - roasted ones usually have added fat. You can "roast" them yourself in a hot dry skillet - just watch 'em closely because they burn very fast.

I try to eat one serving of nuts a day (usually two tablespoons of nut butter or an ounce of nuts).

I buy a huge bag of trail mix from Wal Mart and just nibble my way thru the day. I think I picked out all the M&M's though. ;-)
Charlotte~~

I started adding pistachio nuts to my diet last year. I eat 1/2 cup with shells per day. I have noticed nothing negative in my body composition since starting this. I was a little nervous about it too but for me, it hasn't caused a problem.

Edited to say, I love cashews too much. I'm afraid to risk eating them because I would just eat and eat and eat.

There is a book called "Super Foods" that outlines the best foods you can put in your body... it is a really great book, although I am certain I could never get the number of serving sizes outlined by the author, lol.

Anyway, since reading this I have been eating a cup of nuts a day. I am on walnuts right now but have also done almonds and cashews. I try to be careful about getting anything salted....

I will say that since cleaning up my diet I have noticed a tremendous increase in my energy level. This week I actually felt like I was getting TOO MUCH sleep. How is that for weird??

Cheers,
Marie

I like to eat nuts too.. I love all kinds of them and try not to eat to many at once because the calories add up fast. I do go through stages where I eat them every day. Yum..

Beverly

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.