At home spinning

NY25

Cathlete
Anyone do at-home spinning? Which bike/program do you use? Is it fun at home? Successful? Thoughts please!

I just recently bought Crank It Up with Josh Taylor because someone on here had recommended it. I haven't had a chance to try it; I am hoping to later this week. I have a couple of DVDs of Mindy Mylrea (?). She's okay. I'm hoping this new DVD has a little more to it. I've never done a spinning class at a gym, so I have nothing to compare it to.

Regina

I have a spinning bike at home and teach spinning at a club. When I am spinning at home I either use the Spinervals videos or Cardio Coach. I think they are both ok. I just never found a video for spinning that can match the fun of spinning in a club. I think it is because when you go to a live class the teacher can use fantastic music that can't necessarily be used in a video. I still find it effective to do the videos at home, but not as fun.

That's kind of what I figured, NRGWoman. I used to love to do it in the club, but not sure it would be as fun at home.

I spin at home and also at the gym. When I spin at home. I create my own spinning music play list based on the type of ride that I want to do that day. I can use the same great music that they use in the club. I either use my Ipod, Apple TV or my stero system to play my spinning list. I do not like spinning with DVDs but I have a blast at home with my own music!

Interesting info. I've been asked to do a spinning DVD many times but I hesitate due to the fact that many don't have spin bikes at home. If you happen to be reading this, I'm curious how many of you have a spin bike at home?

I love to give a good challenging ride and I would make sure that I had upbeat and moving music produced to support the specific drills of the 45 minute ride. But first I would need to know how many of you actually have a spin bike? :D

I have considered buying a spinning bike but was unsure how often I would use it. I would use it if I had a Cathe DVD to follow.

As a note, when looking through old rotations, I often bypass ones that incorporate a bike ride since I don't have a bike but if I had a DVD to follow, that would solve that problem. :p

Thanks!

Great - I was looking for an excuse NOT to buy more equipment. If I knew there were great spinning DVDs out there with great music I would very probably be trying to reconfigure my apartment to accommodate the spin bike. I really miss it.
I also have a brother who cycles outdoors, but is looking to buy videos to supplement for bad weather days or when he's on baby-sitting duty. He'd probably buy too if they're good.
I had an instructor who would do a class that included a climb to Eminem's Lose Yourself and I loved the intensity of that!! Now every time I hear that song I think of spinning.

Last edited:
Bike trainers work too!

I have five bikes, so instead of a spin bike purchase, I bought a trainer. It made sense considering I am riding my fitted-to-me road bike or change it out with one of my mountain bikes. So there is that option for those who already have bikes and maybe just want to spend $200 to $750 on a trainer. There are lots of different types of trainers too, and I settled on one with a natural motion just like riding outside (thanks MeowRacer). I download a lot from Motiontraxx.com even though its designed for running, works just as well with a trainer or elliptical when its 165 bpm or less. I would buy a spin dvd from Cathe asap!

I use a road bike on a trainer and have used Cardio Coach. I have also downloaded 2 Motion Traxx posdcasts called Cycling Interval Mix, I did the longer of the two this weekend and it was pretty good. I'd settle for good music & an audio download by Cathe!

I'd be interested

I use my road bike on a Spinervel trainer. I vary the workouts and use my ipod. I'd be interested in some variety in spinning. Maybe consider a CD/recording along the lines of CardioCoach that could be downloaded for MP3 players.

i also have a trainer that I put my road bike in & ride when I can't ride outdoors. i rarely do standing climbing on it though. i also take spin class (& occasionally teach it) at a local gym. the workouts I do on my trainer are very different from the typical gym spin class. my trainer workouts consist more of intervals, spin-ups, ILT (which I like to call individual leg torture!) & is more based on HR zones.

I don't have a spin bike but would like one in the future when my budget allows for it. I was looking to see the prices for a used one and the ones I found were still out of my range.

I'm also interested in which make/models are good bikes.

Bam

I have a spin bike and would definitely buy a DVD if you made one. I'm always looking for new programs for my bike :)

That would be great, Cathe!

I have a spin bike and am using Coach Troy's spinervals. I would be interested in pure cardio spinning and spinning circuits.

A lot of us have treadmills, too. How about adding a treadmill cardio and circuit workout?

Last year, my gym was selling spin bikes. I seriously considered buying one, but decided against it because there was no way I could capture that "fun factor" at home that comes with taking a group spin class at the gym -- for me, it's all about having a great instructor and FANTASTIC music!! I couldn't find a spin DVD that satisfied those requirements.

So...if Cathe made a spinning dvd with rockin' music to compliment the ride, I would definitely start shopping around for a bike!! :D

I looked into purchasing a Spin Bike for home....if there was a Cathe Spin DVD I would do it in a heartbeat!!! I will keep my fingers crossed. :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.