are workout shoes necessary?

lena

I own both PS and MIS for more than a year, and often i do them bare footed, since i usually do a yoga tape after,
or kick boxing before. I don't like to wear snickers: too heavy
and you also need socks, and then it's too hot. So is it harmful to excercise bare footed, and maybe there are some lighter alternatives to shickers?
Thanks, Lena

I wouldn't hesitate to do PS and MIS barefooted, but nothing with impact, like a step workout. And I'm sure the shoes help support and stabilize your foot even for MIS and PS, but I am not convinced it's necessary. Just my two cents.

I tried doing MIS barefoot, but it hurts my feet really bad when I do the lunges. I absolutely hate lunges becaue they hurt my feet (from the way they bend) and I find that wearing athletic shoes helps a little. (Lunges are pretty effective, so I can't just give them up.)

Hi Lena! I wouldn't recommend doing these workouts in your barefeet because of safety. You certainly wouldn't want to drop a weight on your toe. Also, during quick foot transfers or constant leg movements, such as alternating lunges or step ups, you could stub your toe or snag it along the carpet causing a fall or a broken toe. Your shoes also provide protective cushioning to help you with balance, arch support, and shock absorbancy. Even though you are not jumping around, you are still putting quite a bit of additional weight on your body. If you can get used to wearing your sneaks while you weight train, I think you will have a safer and more efficient workout. Take Care.

Proper shoes will absorb shock. Anytime you're doing something other than standing perfectly still, you're putting stress on your body. That stress may not manifest itself in your feet and legs where you would most expect, but it may turn up in your back or elsewhere. Always wear shoes when doing anything with movement. Also, what if you dropped something on your bare foot? Granted, a shoe is not a good defense against a 20-lb dumbbell, but a little defense is better than no defense.

Now yoga, is another story. Your shoes stabilize your feet and ankles, but in Yoga, you want your feet to learn to stabilize you without the added assistance of shoes. Wearing shoes actually is cheating while doing yoga.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.