anyone have ideas for a "butt and gut class"?

tina72382

Cathlete
Hey all! I was just asked to teach a half hour class called butt and gut. any ideas on format or music? Thanks so much!!! _tina

RE: anyone have ideas for a

Yeah, how about v-sits, bicycles, reverse curls and froggie situps for the abs; and maybe some squats (regular and plie), and front and/or back lunges for the glutes.

Collective Soul has some good music. I usually workout to them. You got to listen to them and you will know what I mean! Hubby workouts while listening to them. It is the best workout music by far, IMHO.

Charlotte~~

I attended a class similar to this, called "Buns and Bellies". It has been a long time, but the one thing I remember the most was the walking lunges. The instructor had us doing walking lunges from one side of the room to the other and back. I was so exhausted, and my butt was sooo sore the next day. :) You should definitely do walking lunges! }(

Maybe do a warm-up that includes some squats (to warm up the glute area) and some kickboxing punch twists (without the punch) to hit the obliques. Then go to the floor for concentrated ab and glute work. Dependiing on how advanced you want it to be, here are some suggestions:

Abs: dead bugs hit the transverse abs. Reverse curls and variations hit lower rectus. Bicycles are one of the best exercises for abs. Planks will hit the whole core and get the glutes a bit as well for stabilization (front planks and side planks).

For glutes: glutes raises done while lying on back (with both feet on floor and with one leg held up in air). Those "donkey kick" moves work well(on all fours, with bent legs, bring the heel up and down) and you can do variations like crossing the knee over in the down move or using a straight leg.

Could you incorporate some play balls? They could be held between the knees for reverse curls, squeezed between the calf and hamstring on the "donkey" moves, and used in different ways to add some intensity.

Finding a nice flow to the moves would be nice, like going from lying abs to the glute raises, then from a plank to the donkey move.

For music, I always prefer music with a driving beat that keeps me motivated and pushes me to go beyond what I would do without music.

Oh, I just saw it is only 1/2 hour! LOL!

Thanks for the input everyone!! kathryn, what are dead bugs? i bet I have done them but I have never heard that!!

Lol, the reason why I am asking for advice is that I taught this class last wednesday and it BOMBED. I was so nervous, I forgot the routine I had planned. I thought people were goign to complain about me! luckily they didnt. I was humbled, I'll tell ya that.

I think for this wednesdays class, I will practice a routine so I have it memorized. That way I can focus more on the participants.

I wish I could do walking lunges, but there are like 30 people in the class. haha I dont know ifthey will return next week though.

Sigh- live and learn right :)

and thanks for the help, you all are so great :) -Tina

>Thanks for the input everyone!! kathryn, what are dead bugs?
>i bet I have done them but I have never heard that!!
>

They might have other names (and they actually look more like "dying bugs"), but you lie on your back, with arms and legs toward the ceiling (legs bent at 90 degrees), then engage the transverse abs and keep them engaged as you lower opposite arm and leg. Then switch sides. The t.a. are engaged to stabilize against the movement of the limbs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.