Anyone have a CORK floor for workout?

Gobias

Cathlete
Hi All,

I currently have a carpeted room for my workouts and have blown through the padding and am getting shin splints. Thanks to another helpful thread, I will be getting StageStep cushions like what Cathe uses in her videos. I will have a suspended floor made of cushions, but still need a "topper" floor to go on top.

I debated putting the carpet above the suspended floor, but decided against it. I was going to put wood, but figured I would just sweat all over it. Then I was going to put the fake wood, but wanted something with a little softness, but easy to clean. Now I am considering a CORK floor to go on top of the suspended floor. Does anyone have this?

I would like to know if it makes the room quieter (than vinyl or wood), if it is a bit softer (than vinyl or wood), and especially if it is easy to clean. I want something I just vacuum and mop (?) when needed. I would also like to know if it permamently indents, as I have some heavy items (TV, bike, Dumbbell and barbell holders) and if I rearrange in the future don't want the permament indents.

Thanks.

I would LOVE to have a cork floor, but it is so very expensive! My favorite shoes/sandals are the Birkenstocks with the cork soles - they are so good to my feet!

I don't know about how easy it would be to clean (can your building supply store tell you that?), but I imagine that for noise and for impact, it would be truly wonderful to have a cork floor.

I don't have cork but I have the snap together wood laminate above my floor and I have no issues with shin spints and it's so easy to clean. I just use a dry swiffer then and wet one to clean up the sweat. I also have a treadmill on mine with a pad underneath that came with it. It's also cheaper than cork.

I have a friend who put in a cork floor at her place and has now helped 2 other friends put cork floors into their places... they all love it! Easy to clean, quiet, they say it is hardy. In fact, my friend said I should ask my landlady about whether or not she would be willing to pay for cork flooring for my place because she would help me put one in. I haven't gotten up the nerve to ask my landlady yet. Right now I have concrete with vinyl tiles on most of the floor and ceramic tiles in the kitchen and bathroom. Owie! I wear cork shoes for my house shoes to prevent plantar fasciitis.

Oh I remember I loved birkenstocks - one of the only sandals I could wear for longer periods of time and not have my feet hurt.

I was debating on getting a faux wood but then came across the cork and I would like something a bit softer. But that is definitely my second choice. Especially for the ease of cleaning.

Macbeaner - could you please ask your friend what she uses to clean it (I know each floor may require something a bit different, just curious what she uses) and also ask if the floor "indents" due to having heavy objects on top for long periods (TV, spinner bike, weights, etc.). And.... ask if she will come help ME install it!! LOL

Thanks for all of the responses.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.