Anyone else think that Sarah Palin resembles....

He said that if we pull the troops out now, it will completely implode. Unfortunatly, we started this civil unrest there,and now we have to be there to make sure peace (somewhat) is kept.

Maybe we are the reason for the continued civil unrest in Iraq. I think we are a lightening rod for many Iraqis, and rightfully so. We are occupying a sovereign country.

I think we need to stop thinking we are the police of the world. Iraq had 6 years to build up their military forces and security. I think through a transition period they can take care of themselves without the US providing security and the American taxpayer spending $ 10 Bio per month.

Obama doesn't want to yank all of the troops out and leave the country to "implode." He simply wants a timeline and a phased withdrawal that will make the Iraqis take over for themselves. While we are billions of dollars in debt because of this war, I understand they have a large surplus over there. It doesn't make sense.

The troops have done an amazing job with what they were given. No one doubts their hard work. As a mother of boys, my heart aches for the moms who see their sons leave for deployment after deployment -- some never to return home and others to return home without limbs and then denied proper care and benefits.

I cannot understand anyone who thinks this war was justified. Terrorists from Afghanistan attack us and instead of focusing all of our attention THERE, we go off and start a war in Iraq. Why? Oh yeah, "weapons of mass destruction." No, that wasn't it. What's the reason Bush is now giving? I can't keep up with the lies.

I can more than understand why soldiers say that the war was not a mistake. It would be a hard pill to swallow. But from my viewpoint, it was.

Should we have more of our soldiers dying in vain? When and who is the last person who dies in Iraq. And really when do we look at something and simply say we can't afford this! Are you comfortable with knowing your grandchildren will be still paying off this debt? Iraq just signed oil agreements with China. They have a multi billion dollar surplus in their budget. And just how much of our money do you think is being stolen and stashed in foreign bank accounts. The only result I can see to bring stability to Iraq is another strongman to control it. Back right where we started. I personally don't think Palin has a clue--she never even had a passport or travelled out of the US except to Kuwait I believe. Can we please elect someone with a little more nuance and global understanding rather than someone with a kneejerk reply of patriotism and "family values".

ROTFLMAO!!! I think we agree on more than you think, Liann. :p:D:D:D:D:D

Tristan is going to be mad, if I disagree with you, you are his favorite "Cathe girl" :)

It LIVES!!! I can't believe this thread is resurrected - woot! :D

So my latest random thoughts on Palin, based on a few things mentioned here.

- The wheels are going to come off the Palin Express the first time she debates Joe Biden. All he is to do is keep cool and not appear condescending and he'll skate through it. She simply cannot match him in experience and knowledge, and it's going to show. Sadly, even the wheels do come off, I don't know that it will matter in the end. Palin may have a tenuous grasp of foreign affairs but so do most Americans, so it may be just another way to relate to her, for some.

- I find the whole obsession with her mommyhood slightly ick-worthy, especially as a lot of it seems to be emanating from the male quarter. I think what bothers me about it is that we don't really have any idea what kind of mom she is, so what people are really lauding is her ability to get pregnant and that makes me cringe. Simply being a mother, even of a large family, doesn't automatically convey one to a higher plane of ethics, morality or efficacy, so I wish certain folks would stop acting like the rest of us are mere mortals who should hit our knees and genuflect anytime the words "...a mother of 5" are heard anywhere in the vicinity of Sarah Palin.

- Along the same lines, did anyone else find it creepy that the "baby daddy" was on stage at the convention, waving and smiling right along there with everyone else? I can't quite put my finger on why it gave me the creeps but it did, though I suppose they couldn't do anything else really.

Sparrow

- Along the same lines, did anyone else find it creepy that the "baby daddy" was on stage at the convention, waving and smiling right along there with everyone else? I can't quite put my finger on why it gave me the creeps but it did, though I suppose they couldn't do anything else really.

Sparrow

LOL, yes, I thought it was very odd. I kept thinking, that poor kid is probably thinking, "How did I get here?"

Probably it gave you the creeps b/c it was so contrived & absurd. There he was, grinning as if it he was having the best darned time of his life, b/c as we all know, every 17 YO boy's fantasy is a young wife, a baby, & a vice presidential candidate for his mother in law. ;):p:D:eek:

Probably it gave you the creeps b/c it was so contrived & absurd. There he was, grinning as if it he was having the best darned time of his life, b/c as we all know, every 17 YO boy's fantasy is a young wife, a baby, & a vice presidential candidate for his mother in law. ;):p:D:eek:

LOL!! Thank you for my putting my finger on it!! :D

Did anyone here Biden's comment about Hillary probably being the better choice for VP? Yowsa. I'd love to see Biden step down and Hillary take his place. Unheard of, I know, but still.

Not because I'm a Hillary fan, but because I think it would make for an even more exciting election.

Did anyone here Biden's comment about Hillary probably being the better choice for VP? Yowsa. I'd love to see Biden step down and Hillary take his place. Unheard of, I know, but still.

Not because I'm a Hillary fan, but because I think it would make for an even more exciting election.

NO, I didn't hear that. Yep, it would be exciting.

Great, informative thread everyone. I don't support either ticket so I need all the info I can get, and you all make it much more enjoyable to sift through the info.

Hey, is the 17 y/o getting married soon?

I'm trying to find that out. I thought it was supposed to be "before" the baby was born, but I can't find anything to back that up online.

For what it's worth, my mom was married at 17 and pregnant at 17. Her and my dad went out on their own and made their own life with no help from their families (which if you want to talk about dysfunctional families - I can tell you real stories!).

I saw it. Biden & the Clintons have a long history & I think are pretty close. It'd def. make for a more exciting election--not that it isn't already, I can't seem to tear myself away from the 24 hour news channels.

That's the one thing that has me most disillusioned w/Obama. I just find it incomprehensible & totally dispicable that he didn't even consider Hillary for VP. He'd be in a much different situation right now if he'd done (what I think is) the right thing.

I was going to stop reading this thread but I seem incapable. I think both Obama and Hillary realize they just cannot work together after all they went through. But, I heard a really interesting idea on NPR.... supposing Obama wins, what job might he put Hillary in? A few were suggested but the one I found the most curious was supreme court justice. My husband quickly wondered what the salary is for a supreme court justice.... it's likely Hillary would make more money on the tour circuit, but, she may be after the kind of fame the justice position would bring. Interesting, no?

-Beth

That's occurred to me as well. I think he'd appoint her as secretary of HHS & let her spearhead health care reform. I don't think she'd make it through the confirmation hearings for supreme court justice, and it would really limit the possibility of her running for pres again.

I agree . .

she would never make it through confirmation hearings. Never ever.

They keep talking about two openings but I only see one - Justice Stevens. Bader-Ginsburg will be around for a while.

John Roberts can tear anyone (including Hil) up on constitutional law.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.