Anyone else get bummed?

Sisyphus

Hi, I'm a longtime lurker, and since there's a request for more interaction, I figured I'd dive in.

I've read this week about both Courtney Cox and David Arquette and now Christina Aguilera and Jordan Bratman separating... I know it's corny, but I know I get kind of bummed whenever I hear about celebrities separating or getting divorced. It's just another reminder that marriages rarely last anymore.

Am I alone in this? Does anyone else get bummed?

I don't get bummed about it, but it does show that marriage can be a problem for anyone whether you are famous or not. We hope that marriages work out but the true reality is that they don't most of the time.

I guess one of Christina's friends said they live more like friends than husband and wife and I do wonder what exactly that means. I would want to know where in the marriage did that shift take place?

I guess it's just the harsh reality of things :confused:

Depends on your perspective. I think marriage is a vestige of society that is long gone. I don't think one person can meet all my needs the rest of my life. I think serial monagamy is more natural and fits better with our longer lives, desire for self-actualization, and women being financially independent.

I didn't hear that about Courtney, or Christina for that matter, and I thought Christina is recently pregnant, and I am actually shocked by the Courtney news. Guess I should not be, most of the hollywood marriages just don't work out.

I definitely don't get bummed out about high profile break ups, in general I would say I expect them to break up, and it's just nice to see when once in a while some of these couples can make it through and stay together. There just seems to be something about famous people that's hard for them to stay together. Unfortunately, I think a lot of "regular" people stay together because of financial reasons, and that factor is just out of the equation for the famous couples. So it makes it just that much easier to walk away.

Unfortunately, it seems to follow the normal celebrity pattern. Just think how many divorces happen to non celebrities. When you add in the added stress of being a public figure and having or not having a high profile successful the odds are against them. So sad. I admire the ones who seem to have found a way to make it work.

I definitely don't get bummed out about high profile break ups, in general I would say I expect them to break up, and it's just nice to see when once in a while some of these couples can make it through and stay together. There just seems to be something about famous people that's hard for them to stay together.
I agree.
Hollywood couples that stay together in the long run (like Tom Hanks and his wife Rita, or Kevin Bacon and Kyra Sedgwick or--the champs!--Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward) seem to be the exception more than the rule.

I think marriage is as difficult for celebrities as it is for us regular people but they have the added pressure of being in the news all the time.

A lot of celebrities also have big egos which makes it difficult to have lasting relationships. They can be a little self centered and at times put their careers ahead of their relationships. Being away from home a lot eventually takes it's toll and couples grow apart.

It doesn't really bum me out because i think it would be worse to stay in an unhappy marriage.

IMO a lot of celebrities are driven by what will make headlines/put them in the spotlight. They marry and divorce like crazy. It's like it's a big joke to them and they don't seem to care so why should I? JMHO.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.