Anyone done a Figure competition?

wadejen

Cathlete
I am thinking about doing a figure competition. I wanted some feedback from others. How long did it take you to prepare? I have a great base. For the past 8 months I have been doing STS and a P90x rotation. Also, I have ran for 15 years. I have lost alot of fat, but now need to tighten things up if I do figure competition. I plan on using a trainer because I believe he can push me a little harder than I push myself. Advice please.

Jennifer

I've done 2 of them. You'll want to do a lot of research before you start--especially considering which show/federation you want to compete with. I personally like the OCB--it's an all natural federation with some great people. http://www.thenaturalmusclenetwork.com/OCB/index.htm

I spent about 4 months in pre-contest mode. It's grueling, but strangly rewarding if your heart and soul is in it. However, don't plan on having any kind of life in those 4 months of pre-contest prep. Length of prep really depends on how lean and muscular you are starting out...some can do it in less time and some need more.

Good luck! I'd like to do another one but I'm 7 weeks post-partum so really focusing on taking care of my little guy right now.

Please keep us updated. I wanted to do a competition in June but I had some health issues that came up so I've set a target for 2011. If you haven't been to the website for The Figure Coach, I highly recommend it. I got several books and DVD's that were very helpful. There is a bunch of information and I agree that you need to do a lot of research. I have a notebook and write everything down when I find a good web site or good advice. Bodybuilding.com is an excellent source also.
Maybe we could be accountablility partners....never know! I live in a very small town and fitness is certainly not on many people's lists!!!
I haven't hired a trainer yet and am glad since I've been dealing with getting better. I have to wait until August to go back to the doctor and just keep praying that I can move on to my goal!
Good luck and let me know if you want to chat sometime!!!

Please keep us updated. I wanted to do a competition in June but I had some health issues that came up so I've set a target for 2011. If you haven't been to the website for The Figure Coach, I highly recommend it. I got several books and DVD's that were very helpful. There is a bunch of information and I agree that you need to do a lot of research. I have a notebook and write everything down when I find a good web site or good advice. Bodybuilding.com is an excellent source also.
Maybe we could be accountablility partners....never know! I live in a very small town and fitness is certainly not on many people's lists!!!
I haven't hired a trainer yet and am glad since I've been dealing with getting better. I have to wait until August to go back to the doctor and just keep praying that I can move on to my goal!
Good luck and let me know if you want to chat sometime!!!

Hey, I will keep you guys posted. I live in a small town, too. So people think I'm totally "off my rocker" or I'm "obssessed" I have hired a trainer and a nutritionist. My trainer is tough, but she is so dedicated to me and my success. She is pushing me to places that I wouldn't dare go by myself. I will check out the websites you suggested. I am also going to a workshop this August that preps me for the show. My show is Nov. 6. I am so excited.

Good luck and keep Rocking it out!

Jennifer

Hey ladies!! I almost never post anything but I'm interested in doing a figure comp. myself. It's something I've always wanted to do. I highly recommend hiring a trainer and nutritionist that has experience in figure competitions. I don't know where you ladies live but I live on the northern east coast and there is a great figure coach called Cathy Savage. I'm doing her 60 day summer challenge and so far I've seen big changes in my body in just 2 weeks. Her website is cathysavagefitness.com I also know a guy named Adam Strauckman and he gets figure girls ready to compete too. My issue is my breasts. I definately need and want a breast augmentation and I need to research that. If anyone has any tips on good surgeons let me know. One day we might on stage together!!! We should make a check in group when everyone is ready to compete

Kristin

Kristin- If you are considering breast augmentation, please do research. I had them last June and have had some problems. My neighbor went to the same surgeon and she has had none. I always thought my body bounced back quickly, but I tried to push myself too soon. I had surgery on 6/1/09. I went to do a major cleaning at a house and then the next day I picked up 5 pound dumbbells to do a leg workout. The next day (06/24/09) I was in emergency surgery for a bleed under one of my implants. Next, I couldn't do ANY lifting for a few months and then I went another 6 months not doing ANY chest exercises. I had just started doing modified push ups and chin ups when the other implant started getting really hard. I went back to the dr and had an infection in the implant. After two months of antibiotics, the infection is gone but the implant is still hard. I'm taking high doses of vitamin E to help soften it but the vitamin makes my stomach hurt.
Just a word of caution....no matter how good the surgeon is, you still may have complications. The dr assured me that the infection is no due to anything either of us did.
I do love the implants because I am an extreme pear shape so I have a more hour glass figure! But, I am facing having another surgery to cut the scar tissue to help it expand so its not so tight.
Just some food for thought!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.