Anyone buy an elliptical lately?

story1267

Cathlete
We're in the market for an elliptical to replace the frequently-broken and insufficient-cardio-oomph recumbent bike.

Has anyone purchased and elliptical in the past year or so? How do you like it...or not? There are a couple of older threads but I wondered if anything new and exciting has come out lately.

We'd both be using it....DH more than me...BUT...we'd like to find one that might fit our range of sizes...He's 6 feet and I'm only 5 feet tall. And he's ALL LEGS! LOL! Push comes to shove it'll need to fit him better than me.

I'd consider a spin bike but I don't think he's there yet.....

Suzanne, I love my Octane elliptical. It was $$$ but it's the smoothest elliptical I've ever been on. Plus it has an adjustable stride. That is the best part. It adjust from 18-26. I've seen some that adjust but they still have a very narrow range. DH can use this with no problem and he is 6 inches taller than me!

go for the octane!

Octane has the adjustable stride, it was the brand most recommended by our physiotherapist and a friend who sells all kinds of equipment. I have had mine for 3 years and I absolutely love it. I can't even use any other brands because my feet go numb or my knees hurt. I find the stride so smooth and natural.
that said....you pretty much have to try them out, we spent a couple hours trying all the brands out to see what felt best beacuse everyones body mechanics are different. once I narrowed it down, I went to the store and got a solid 30 minutes on it to make sure it felt good.

Thanks to both of you for your replies. Tried the Soles, Livestrongs, & Nordictracks today. Definite "meh" from the birthday boy.

We'll head out tomorrow to the specialty store and try their Octanes.

I welcome any and all opinions! Thanks!

*****for those of you with the Octane.....My Man is tall...and our ceilings are a bit low in places.....do you know or could you measure and tell me what is the height of the foot thingies at their highest point? This would be very helpful in our shopping....Thanks and thanks!************

Last edited:
I purchase a Sole E55 in February and we love it. Ordered it from Amazon who offered the best price at the time. We tested a few brands at sporting store in town and decided on the Sole. It offers a smooth ride, adjustable incline and I don't experience numbness. I incorporate elliptical in with my Cathe workouts do I use it about twice a week where ad DH has been using 5 times a week. The elliptical replaced our 10 year old broken treadmill.

Good luck. It is definitely a tough decision to make.

Thanks Heartymax! Of the ones DH tried yesterday he liked the Sole best.

The height issue gets interesting. Not sure if he can use one in the basement at all. I'd love to use it but hate to go to the basement. This pretty much leaves us with parking it in the dining room LOL.

I'd gladly use it there. The view is pretty but the rest of the family might protest. All my Cathe gear is already taking over the living room!

Hi Suzanne,

I bought an elliptical last year after our indoor bike finally broke too. My husband is 6 foot and I'm closer to 5 foot. We bought a yowza elliptical and neither of us have any trouble with the stride length. It's quite a workout for me. He is able to go forward and backward...I'm still trying to get past 20 minutes without dying. I don't do it as often as he does since I do a lot of Cathe and ride my bike outdoors during the warmer months. The elliptical is a great workout. The arm part on my machine goes in a semicircle which is supposed to help the abs too. I bought the machine on line and got the indoor set up by the guys option-well worth the expense!

Good Luck,

Beth

Not that you need it but I'm going to throw in another vote for an Octane. ;) Very costly but great machines. My husband is 6' 4" and we bought it BECAUSE he said he would use it. He doesn't. :confused:

LOL! We feel fully enabled and are heading home right now with an Octane 37ci in the back of the truck.

Happy Birthday to my DH!

And thanks again to all you wonderful Cathetes!!!

have fun! I am sure you will love it. I was never one for programmed workouts on machines until I used the Heart rate programs on my octane, those rock! I have them on my pacemaster treadmill too now, it they seem to be one the few non-Cathe workouts that really push me. :D

Thank you! I can tell you it was quite a workout wrestling that thing to the basement....:eek::eek:.......!

I'm going to try to let DH have the first workout on it as it was his birthday present after all.....

But, I'm looking forward to taking for a spin. I think I will use one of the pre-programmed routines just to get used to it - I've never used an elliptical - but then I'm looking forward to using my Cardio Coach workouts..:)( RIP Sean). I'm hoping to get DH to try CC's too.....and then....onto Cathe.

I've told him...resistance is futile!:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.