anybody use airborne?

tina72382

Cathlete
Hey everyone! I have a little cold, and I researched this natural herb concoction made by a teacher that is suppossed to ward off colds. (called Airborne) Anyways, I wanted to know if any of you take it, and how do you like it? Thanks! -Christina

I haven't tried it, but thanks for the reminder! I plan on picking some up (because students here are passing around some nasty stuff already this year!).

I tried it and it did not work. All the commercials say is that it was invented by a teacher who was tired of getting sick in class. I find it remarkable that it does NOT make any claims to its efficacy.

I suspect it is just Vitamin C.

Jen

I have used it and I thought it worked - it reduces symptoms and shortens duration. But what I thought worked better was Zicam.

Jo

My son says he feels better when he takes it but I have only tried it once and felt a little better. What really works for me so far to really shorten a cold, actually stop it dead in its tracks is Umcka by Natures Way. It is a homeopathic and it works every time. I try to take it every two hours the first day or two if I can remember and I feel so much better after the first day. I have also tried Oscillococcinum, which is also a homeopathic med. I read an article that this is what all the stars and celebrities take to keep going. It makes all your symptoms go away for about 6 hours. I follow that up with Olive Leaf extract or Echinacea and Goldenseal. I'm a pre-school teacher and get every bug and can't miss work so I am always looking for something to get me better again. There is also something from Shaklee I want to try, Interferon or something like that. Hope this helps.
Colleen

The placebo effect is pretty powerful....it is 35% of why all drugs work (check out the statistics on any medication). I say if you believe it will work, there is a really good chance it just may.;-)

Robin

I used Airborne last year and I found it did seem to cut back the duration. One thing to remember is to start taking it when you believe you have been exposed to someone with a cold. Also...don't try just the lozenge while driving in your car...it has to be dissolved in water first...:)...Yes, I did it....I had the childrens version which is pink, so needless to say I drove with pink foam coming out of ny mouth!!!! ...:)...Carole

haha Carole, I can't believe that happened to you! Well thanks for your input everyone! Maybe I'll just stick to the old echinacea and vitamin c, rest, and good food. Even with a cold, my appitite is still up there! :eek: Thanks again! -C

I can't live without it!! At the first sign of a cold, I take it every 3 hours for 3-5 days. I may or may not get a cold. If I do, then I switch over to Cold-eeze (lozenges, NOT the subligual pills. Yuck!). I do Cold-eeze for another 3 or 4 days.

The combo may not help me avoid a cold altogether, but it does decrease the intensity and duration. Normally, I'll feel bad for only one day and even that day is do-able and I can function normally aside from a snotty nose and sneezing. If I take some cold medicine on top of it, I feel quite normal although a bit swollen in the head from sinuses, but nothing major. I'm back to normal within 1 week (as opposed to 2.5 weeks with no airborne and cold-eeze) and exercising within a week of being sick.

If I'm around someone who's sick or I'm travelling, I dose with Airborne about 2 or 3 times a day for a week. I don't get sick.

Now this is great for a cold. But I have found it does absolutely nothing for the flu.

Editing to add: If you've already got a cold, it probably won't help. You have to take it the very moment you feel that tickle in the back of your throat. Before then, if possible. If you're already sick, I'd recommend going straight to Cold-eeze.

Thanks, Tammy! i have cold eeze lozenges, and they are GROSS. they are supposed to be cherry flavor, but i dont think so!!! lol

I guess the hard part is knowing when a cold is coming on. I also have bad allergies, so its hard to detect a cold. I do remember though, a few days before the runny nose, that my sinuses literally HURT. I should have taken that as a sign. But anyways, it hit friday, and i'm feeling better today, even after teaching spinning last night. It was a hard class to get through, and I had to tone it down for myself, but afterwards i cleared right out. Today though I am home from student teaching because my supervisor told me to just rest. Not like I was going to say no to that :)

Have a great day! -Christina

I looked at Airborne, and one of the ingredients in it is zinc, which has been shown to reduce the duration of colds (the zinc somehow binds with the cold virus to keep it from replicating). I have some zinc/echinacea tablets I take when I feel a cold coming on (it works best the sooner you take it). Unfortunately, I didn't pay attention to the signs recently, and was in full-blown cold mode before I started taking it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.