Any vegan's out there in Catheland

wonderwoman

Cathlete
I wanted to try going vegan to see how I would feel. I've read and heard so many good things about it but was afraid to try it. I thought I would feel tired and hungry especially because I workout with cathe. How do you guys/gals do it? Are you able to get enough protein without the animal protein in your diet?
I think I can do but was having trouble coming up with some snacks any idea's?
Thanks for any advice

A good place to start would be to read Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman, MD. It is a fascinating read and will change the way you view your food. It is very helpful in guiding you through establishing a vegetarian or vegan way of eating. You absolutely can eat this way and still see gains in your workout and not feel the least bit tired. The largest animals on earth don't eat meat at all. Think about that! Elephants, hippos, giraffes, rhinos, even the largest dinosaurs are/were totally herbivores. All that muscle and tissue came from plant proteins. Many Olympic athletes and celebrity trainers are vegan. Bob Harper from The Biggest Loser is vegan. Anyway, I highly recommend that book. We eat a vegetarian diet and love it!

Also The Kind Diet cookbook by Alicia Silverstone is a vegan. Lots of yummy stuff in there. Lots of her political and personal beliefs peppered throughout, but the recipes are great.

A really great website is Oh She Glows by Angela who is vegan and has been for several years. Most of her recipes are vegan, though there are a few on her website leftover from before she became a vegan.

Are you a vegetarian turning vegan? Or are you going straight from eating meat to going vegan?

I am a vegetarian and have been for almost 17 years now. After discovering Angela's website I have been eating more and more vegan dishes. I used to think you had to be hard core to go vegan, but I am finding it isn't so difficult.

Check out her website and her recipes and see how you feel going vegan a couple meals a week, and then a couple days a week, and ease into it...just a suggestion.

http://ohsheglows.com/

I love being vegetarian and eating vegan, but I know it isn't for everyone.

Thank you for your suggestions.

I am neither but have gone a few days here and there with out eating meat and feel great.
I would like to go vegan but I always though it would be too hard and would be hungry all the time but am finding that is not the case. I am having trouble coming up with some snacks but so far I have come up with
Lara bars and pb on a w/w wrap with sliced banana apples with some almonds hummus w/ sliced veggies. Im still getting use to the hummus.
I love almond milk yummy.
I dont think I would have a hard time cause I'm not a picky eater. I can eat just about anything or try it. The only thing I am really going to miss are eggs and cottage cheese but other than that I can part with everything else.

I second Oh She Glows. Great site! You do have to watch the calories in the recipes. Her breakfast cereal/nut blend is about 600 calories per serving! They are very healthy recipes, but calories still count even when something is super healthy. I have several vegan/vegetarian friends who are obese, as crazy as that sounds.

You should also ask yourself why you're making this decision. The vegan vs vegetarian -no animal sourced products, or including dairy and eggs in your diet. What is your rationale for choosing one over the other. If it's a deeply personal thing, do it. If it's strictly to try it out, or follow a trend or something less personal, maybe try going vegetarian first. Then you can move toward veganism if that is something you decide you would like to do. Take smaller steps. I'm generally vegetarian (I occassionally eat limited types of seafood). I don't know that I would ever personally go fully vegan, but I do make very careful choices in my dairy sources. Sometimes knowing why you're doing what you're doing can help clarify your next moves. Good luck and welcome!!

Going vegan

I want to go vegan. I was pretty much vegetarian except for eggs and cheese. But even now, knowing how processed the cheese is, and having seen one egg partly developed, I just can't do it anymore. There are several sites for vegans, and quite a few cookbooks. Go to the local bookstore and pull some books out and start reading. I am a bleeding heart for animals so, this wont be too bad. The worst will be finding time to plan effectively for meals and time. But it will definitely be worth it.

You have been given some great advice and resources. I would also like to add the Thrive Diet book by Brendan Brazier a vegan ironman. There are some good recipes in the back of the book which are mostly raw vegan. He also gives great advice on what and when to eat to fuel different types of workouts. Good Luck.

Also, don't forget to look at the cookbook section in the bookstore. (Like Books a Million, Waldens, Barnes and Nobles etc). They have a lot of cookbooks on vegetarian cooking, and you can find out a lot of information there as well as recipes. There are some really good books there.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.