Anxiety sufferers

candi

Cathlete
I know there are a few of us that have suffered from anxiety and some that have recurring bouts with the A monster. I just wanted to make you aware of a book I recently learned about which is a must have. The author is Claire Weekes and the book is, "Hope and Help for your Nerves". It was written in 1969, so some of the writing is a bit outdated but I promise you will thank me for the recommendation. I purchased mine at Amazon.

Again, this little book is absolutely amazing.

Have been lurking and see Cathe's website is still brimming with energy :)

Thank you for this, I am going to have to check this out.

"Today is a Gift, Have Fun"

~Jennifer~

050510_10014282379.gif

Thanks for the info. In my own research I've also heard great things about this book. I've actually been good for quite some time since I started taking fish oil supplements...not sure if its coincidence. This book in on cue if there's another bout of anxiety.

Thanks for the info as I've had an ongoing battle with anxiety for years and it wears me out sometimes, even on meds. I will absolutely look this up.

I am a sufferer of four different type of anxieties, social, paranoia, generalized and panic. For me anxiety and depression go hand in hand. I actually hit rock bottom with my anxiety this last January and was off work for a month. I had an uncontrollable fear that something bad was going to happen to me and at the time this was happening, I was not taking my medication regularly to regulate my mood. I was scared to be left alone, my heart would race, my hands would get sweaty, I would start to shake. I have had multiple life stressors and was dealing with them under constant muscle tension (namely neck and upper back) until my occipital nerve got pinched from the constant muscle tension and now I have occipital neuralgia from the constant stress my muscles were under from anxiety. I am also impatient which I believe is a form of anxiety. Please take control while you can before it gets out of hand. I have a strong family history of anxiety and depression and I believe it is heredity. Also, the world we live in today is very stressful and at times depressing. Keep a positive attitude and keep in touch!

I second the recommendation of the Claire Weekes book - when I was in my 20s I had horrible panic attacks and at that time it was just being recognized as a legitimate disorder, so they didn't know about medications, etc., for anxiety. I read the Weekes book and it was so helpful to me, it described my symptoms; explained why they were not physically serious, but acknowledged they were frightening; and the most helpful advice was, when a panic attack hit, to just sort of swim through it as if it's a wave in the ocean, rather than trying to fight it, distract myself from it, etc. That advice was so good, when I'd get a panic attach I'd just say, well, here it is, and just wait for it to go away.

BTW, if anyone has panic attacks, of course I'd recommend getting treatment - I think they have great medications and therapists now understand what's going on. But just to give you some hope, I had very severe panic attacks in my 20s, which disappeared around age 30 and have been gone for 20 years, so just to let you know sometimes they do get better on their own. Don't give up hope, it's a common ailment and most people do get better one way or the other.

Like Dianne, I too had severe panic attacks in my twenties. One time, I even ended up in the emergency room because I was convinced I was dying. At the time I was married to a man who was a news junkie. Every night, newscasts would blare inside our apartment and every morning, newspapers would arrive on the doorstep. After we divorced, I totally boycotted television and newspaper subscriptions because I realized that the news was making me very uptight.

I havent' had a panic attack since those days, and that was almost twenty years ago. I don't really know what caused them to stop, but I suspect it was that I regulated my environment such that it is peaceful and free of the intrusions of the world. Believe it or not, if something major happens in the world, I'll still hear about it. But I don't need to be battered with the atrocities of the world everday. If a problem is local, I can help people. If it is not, then I just feel paralyzed and useless. I try to tune in mostly to my local environment and cultivate stillness. I suspect this has made all of the difference.
Manmohini

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.