Another shopping thread

nancy324

Cathlete
As I've mentioned before, I'm going to a formal wedding at the beginning of October. My DH will be wearing a tuxedo. I've tried on, ordered and returned several dresses, but now I'm down to the wire.

Tonight I purchased this dress in a deep red color.
372940408.jpg

I purchased it because my DH and the salesgirl both told me that it looked better than the other one I was considering. But I thought the other one was smashing. It was this one in black:

I'm short-waisted, and this one made my waist look long, held my midsection in like a girdle, and minimized my bust, all of which I thought was great.

The red dress fits well and it's a great color, but it doesn't hold in my midsection quite as much as the black dress, and it's a bit less sensational, I think.

What do you think?

Last edited:
I like the 2nd one. But, the 1st one in dark red may be nice too. How about both and change halfway thru:p:p:p

Nan

I like the 2nd one. But, the 1st one in dark red may be nice too. How about both and change halfway thru:p:p:p

Nan

I wish I could buy two, but this is probably the first and last time I'll ever need a formal gown, and I refuse to spend a lot of money on it. I got my dress today on sale, and it was under $200.

Nancy:

both gowns are gorgeous. The first one is the one I would be more comfortable wearing and it is less risky, and I wonder if that's why your partner wants to see you in that one rather than the second!!! Maybe he doesn't want other men ogling you?!?

However, I think you hanker for the second and so, the second one is the one you should wear and buy. Go for it. What others think matters somewhat: what you think and how you feel in a particular dress matters more. If you are comfortable and feel good and feel that you look good, then you will and you will glow with more confidence than in a gown where you think your tummy shows.

Second dress wins the day!

Clare

Both dresses are lovely! I agree that the first one is the "safer" choice. I say wear what makes you feel beautiful!

My conservative side says the first one is better for a wedding, but my other side says go for the second one! You've worked hard, show it off!

This is DH talking. I was there. I saw both. While the second dress, the one-strap, *may* have been a bit more.... smashing, glamorous, whatever -- but to me, the lush, deep red color of the first dress definitely made all the difference. And the way it accented her curves... :eek:

I suspect most women will be wearing "little black dresses" of one sort or another. This dress will stand out spectacularly amongst all the others. It is not only the style that counts, but the uniqueness and overall effect of this particular gown that makes it special.

Mr nancy324

Nancy, both dresses ARE beautiful. BUT, if you have the body to wear the second dress I say get that one. Not too many people would be able to wear it. I say go for the second one!!! Wear it while you can.:p

Nancy, I love both!! But I agree about the red and I think you will look smashing in the first one. Just don't outshine the bride :p

# 1 - classical design & sensational color
# 2 - classical color & sensational design

I get the impression from your posts that you are hunkering for # 2.
Go for it....it's absolutely :eek:

Just my opinion:D

I like them both but I like the first one better (especially in red!!). For me it would come down to price. If I liked them both very well, I would buy the one that was less expensive! Under $200 is a great deal for that dress!!

Good luck!!
Jenn :)

Since you changed the colors, I'll choose the first. BUT, I love the original blueish teal color of that second one, and that would have been my choice if it had been that color.

You're going to look amazing...and, uh, how 'bout some pic, missy, when you and DH get all gussied up!:D

Nancy:
I think they are both VERY pretty! Is it too late to post pictures of you wearing(trying them on) the real thing(s).
Your DH makes good arguments, but, if you really like the second one you might feel better in it during the event!

In the end, if we don't see the 2 pictures of you before you buy, maybe you would be so kind to post a photo taken before the event in the dress you chose? :D

Good luck choosing!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.