Another shopping thread

I think the first dress is beautiful and a deep red would be spectacular!! I just don't care for the strapless (or half strapless) look. :)

Thanks for all the comments! Let me just say for those who said the first choice was "safer" that both dresses are body huggers.

Catherine, I swear the whole time I was wearing dress #2 I was thinking how great it would look on you, because you're taller than me and have a longer waist. And I think that one bare shoulder look would be awesome on you. Got any parties coming up?

Jenn, I agree that price was a very important consideration. In fact, there was a fuchsia silk gown I tried on which I thought was awesome but it was more expensive, so I didn't even consider it. The red dress is a bit less than the one-strap dress, but not by much. They're both Laundry by Shelli Segal.

Teresa, I agree that the blue color in the second dress is gorgeous, but none of the stores seem to have it in my size.

I think now, after sleeping on it, that I was mesmerized by dress #2 because I've never seen ME with a long, thin waist before and everything got kind of flattened out in the whole girdle effect. However, maybe DH is right that dress #1 highlights my curves rather than flattening things out, and maybe I should just let my figure be what it is. I'm considering it.

Last edited:
Catherine, I swear the whole time I was wearing dress #2 I was thinking how great it would look on you, because you're taller than me and have a longer waist. And I think that one bare shoulder look would be awesome on you. Got any parties coming up?

Nancy you are so sweet! Let's see where could I wear that dress, hmmmm,.... Darn, no big parties coming up for me. Unless you count DSIL's birthday :D

I am sure you will look fabulous in which ever one you choose!!

Nancy, both dresses ARE beautiful. BUT, if you have the body to wear the second dress I say get that one. Not too many people would be able to wear it. I say go for the second one!!! Wear it while you can.:p

To the contrary, I think the dress would make almost anyone who wore it look good. It has some kind of girdle effect which is comfortable, yet very effective at holding everything in. It's a very clever design.

Last edited:
Nancy, I'm late with my reply, but you know me -- I have to chime in on the fashion threads.;)

I think the second one is spectatular! I love fashion that is different and flattering, and I think this one is both.

Laundry by Shelli Segal is one of my favorite special occassion dress labels. You can't go wrong!

Nancy, I'm late with my reply, but you know me -- I have to chime in on the fashion threads.;)

I think the second one is spectatular! I love fashion that is different and flattering, and I think this one is both.

Laundry by Shelli Segal is one of my favorite special occassion dress labels. You can't go wrong!

JM, you would look AWESOME in that dress. That very high leg slit shows off long legs like nothin' else.

JM, you would look AWESOME in that dress. That very high leg slit shows off long legs like nothin' else.

Thanks, Nancy! You are very kind. :)

I would love to have that dress, but honestly just don't have any occasion to wear it. Hmmm.... thinking how to justify.... ;)

ETA: I came back to admit that I clicked on it, thinking about maybe ordering it and of course they don't have one anywhere close to my size. Size 4 in black is the smallest, and that is probably too big to even have altered. Also, if you pay that much for a dress, you hate to put major $$ into alterations, which is what it would take. Bummer!

Last edited:
Hey JM, don't worry I can think of something for us to wear formal gowns. Katie Cotillion is in 2 years! I found a Belk's brand dress at Goodwill, size 8, it is a little too big in the waist. I am truly excited about my find in spite of needing to be alter. But hey for 1.00 I couldn't beat it!

I am voting for the first one, the neckline is beautiful. Nancy. I loved detailed necklines. You will look good in a paper bag!

Thanks, Nancy! You are very kind. :)

I would love to have that dress, but honestly just don't have any occasion to wear it. Hmmm.... thinking how to justify.... ;)

ETA: I came back to admit that I clicked on it, thinking about maybe ordering it and of course they don't have one anywhere close to my size. Size 4 in black is the smallest, and that is probably too big to even have altered. Also, if you pay that much for a dress, you hate to put major $$ into alterations, which is what it would take. Bummer!

JM, I saw the dress in several stores in a 2. I think I even saw a zero. In Laundry, size 4 fits me to perfection (except for the length of course). I don't know if that's any kind of guide.

JM, I saw the dress in several stores in a 2. I think I even saw a zero. In Laundry, size 4 fits me to perfection (except for the length of course). I don't know if that's any kind of guide.

Thanks Nancy! I would definitely need the size 0, and even that could be too big depending on how the sizing works. I find that the nicer the brand, the bigger the sizes... so I really have a hard time even wearing Laundry unfortunately. (The last time I wore a dress by Laundry, I had to have it altered a lot.)

I'll research it some though. That dress is fabulous-o! :D

Gosh! They are both beautiful looking dresses! I like them both, if I had to choose, I'd go with the first one. BUT! I think you should go with the one that makes you feel the best and the most confident! I love the color red too! It's my fav! hehe:D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.