Another Rotation question

LynnW

Cathlete
Hi Cathe,

A couple of weeks ago you outlined a rotation for me incorporating the PS series with MIS, MIC, Interval Max, walking ,etc. I am about to finish the third week of the rotation, and you said to do it for 12 weeks.

Well, I just got notice that the new tapes are to arrive the 30th (Yipee !!) Is it ok to jump into the rotation you suggested for the new tapes before the 12 week rotation is completed ? The rotation has definitely worked my muscles differently (because of slight soreness) and I am really enjoying the variety. I would hate to ruin a good thing but am also looking forward to working with the new tapes. What would you advise?

I have finally got in contact with Bob Harms of TROY Barbell and will be getting a barbell soon. This should really add to my work-out equipment.

Sorry, one more question. Is the trapezius (sp) the muscle that runs from the neck to shoulder? (It has been a long time since anatomy class.) If it is, I think mine seems a little too thick or over-developed. But it could just be me (genetics?) too. When I do the shoulder work, I use 15 lb dumbells and pull them to the chin. Is this the exercise that would develop it (trapezius) and should I modify the exercises? Would the barbell I get be better to use than the dumbells? So much for one more question!

I really admire you for answering so many questions that you probably have answered before. You are one good apple!

Thanks,
Lynn

Hi Lynn!!

(GREAT name~It's my middle name
happy.gif
)I'll leave your question to Cathe but just had to say~~You will be so glad that you ordered a barbell & it WILL make SUCH a difference adding it to your routine! I also started out with just the dumbells and once I bought my barbell I felt it truly added to my W/O. Have fun with your Rotation and enjoy your new tapes whenever you decide to incorporate them into your schedule.

DebbieH

Trapezius

Hi Lynn: I'm not Cathe, but since I know she's buried under thousands of new videos right now, I am jumping in with my layman's understanding of this.

You are right. Shrugs and upright rows both develop the trapezius muscle that runs from neck to shoulder.

Fifteen pound dumbbells might be too heavy on the shrugs, especially if you think you're getting over-developed in that area. I don't go that heavy -- I use a 60 pound barbell for the barbell rows, for instance, but when it's time for shrugs, I only use 8 pound dumbbells. I'm not trying to suggest that you use the same weights as I do, just providing the information for comparison.

I think Cathe says the shrugs should be used for shaping and posture improvement, rather than building size. So a heavy weight is not important, form is.

Thanks Daphne and Debbie

I am sure Cathe is really buried so I will wait for her recommendations to come next week. I did order my barbell from Troy barbell today so I will have that soon.

Boy, do I feel like a weakling! I don't think I could fathom lifting 50 lbs. WOW! I seem to max out with 30 ! I don't think it is my genes to get much stronger but my defintion is getting pretty noticable so I won't complain.

Have a great week-end!

Lynn

A Weakling...

...your NOT!! You go girl~30 pounds!! It's not the weight, it's the results and sounds like you are getting results. Have fun with your new barbell. I know that sounds cheesey, but there is just something about having one & feeling sooo PROFESSIONAL!! Hee-Hee! Have fun!

DebbieH

rotation Question

Hi Cathe!

i know you are probably swamped, but I just wanted to bring this up to the top.

Thanks,
Lynn

Hi Lynn!

Glad to hear that your rotation is working well for you. About your questions....I would hate to see you jump into another rotation when you are getting good results from this one. Especially since the third and fourth week is where your body starts really reaping the benefits. Usually the first two weeks it is adjusting and then the third and fourth week it is responding(but that does vary with people). I would love to see you stick your current rotation out for about six weeks before you switch.

I have an idea...how about you preview the new tapes during your current rotation in your free time(I know, what free time, right?). Find which step workout you like best from the new tapes and replace that with the step portion of MIC workout. Then you can take the first and second portion of 10/10/10 (hi/lo and kick box)and replace that with the hi/lo portion of MIC. So what I'm saying is that on the days that you are now doing MIC, you can replace it with 10/10/10's first 2 portions and then immediately put in your favorite step tape(ALL STEP or STEP & INTERVALS). Then after your current rotation hits 6 weeks(or 12 if you decide that you want to finish it out) you can go on the Xpress series rotation.

As for your trapezius muscle, yes, you are talking about the right muscle and definitely use lighter weights if you feel that this muscle is too thick. This exercise is designed for light shaping and postural enhancement. I would suggest using 8 or 10 pound hand weights in your case. Also, stick with dumbells for this particular exercise too. It is a more natural hand position and simpy feels more comfortable than with a barbell.

Good Luck
happy.gif
!

Thank you Cathe!

I will continue the current rotation as you suggested. I was just thinking this morning after my work-out that starting a different rotation probably was not the way to go. The PS series and Interval Max are still real new and I have used them just a few times.

I will preview the new videos when they arrive and go from there. My youngest of five started Kdg this year, so my house is pretty quiet and previewing the video's might work. The scrubbing, laundry, dusting, mowing, vacuuming, golf(maybe not) will have to be put on the back burner. The day sure flys doesn't it!

Thanks again,

Lynn

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.