Another Pushup Dilemma

eminenz2

Cathlete
Another reason I think I have so much trouble with big girl pushups is that I feel like I can't breathe when I'm doing them, and that if I go too low, I will strain something trying to get back up. I feel panicky doing them, if that makes sense. They're soooo uncomfortable, I can never just settle into concentrating and focusing on getting better.

Advice/suggestions/commiseration please?

Thanks in advance!

Susan L.G.

Have you tried doing a push up with one straight leg and one bent leg? You'll have the back up in case you have difficulty getting back to the top.

Namita

Hi Susan,
No advice, but I just wanted to share my experience. I felt the same way. Not only did I feel like I couldn't breathe but I could feel my whole face turning red. I felt like my head was a huge pimple waiting to explode. I practiced my form, strengthening my core helped a lot and just keep doing my girl pushups till one day I tried it and was shocked how great I felt. I continued doing a few everyday and doing Cathe's body max2 upper body premix 2 times a week. Now I can do 15 in a row, but if you knew me before I would have told you it was impossible. It just takes time and training. You can totally do it, just breathe normaly and take it a day at a time. My new goal is a pull up. I am no where close to being able to do one but like Cathe always says "work, work!"

I do most of my pushups little girls style and still struggle.

Should I do workouts that included pushups in every weight workout?

I've been working out with Cathe for almost 8 or 9 years, you think I would be strong enough to do at least 1 BG pushup.

I've tried the "feet apart" style pushups and they are a bit easier than feet together style, but I still don't drop deep like you're suppose to.

I have tried the kind where you drop LG style, straighten your legs and then pushup with little success.

Thanks for the tips!

I'm with you on this one. I can't seem to go deep even doing the little girl ones.

Others may have more practical advice but I wonder if some of us, due to anatomic variations, muscle insertions, joint placements, just have a tougher time with these....

Just a thought.

Going deep into a pushup is hard! Maybe you can try going half way until you feel comfortable with that, and then going deeper little by little.

Another suggestion I've seen is to try doing them on an incline. You'd keep your legs straight as in big-girl pushups, but you'd place your hands on a higher level - say, your step, at whatever height seems comfortable to you.

How strong are your chest muscles? Can you do a pretty heavy bench press? Maybe you could work on that. Also, do pushups hurt your wrists? I have that problem, so I do them holding onto dumbbells. I've tried pushup grips, but for some reason the dbs work better for me.

Maybe it could be shoulder flexibility, too. If you think your shoulders are stiff, you could work on flexibility.

Or shoulder strength. I was gonna suggest perhaps a little extra front delt work might help. And, as another poster mentioned, core strength is key to pushups (and to many other exercises you'd never think of).

I like the incline idea too. I see trainers at the gym having their clients to this all the time. Usually on the smith machine (if you're getting one w/STS, I guess another option would be Cathe's pullup tower if you're getting that too :p ). The step would work just as well. Start out w/all your risers & keep decreasing them until they're all gone. ;-)

Be sure to breathe in on the way down and then out on the way up. Breathing actually helps make them easier. Make certain your upper body form is good. If you let your shoulders cave in, anatomically a pushup will be impossible without risk of injury. Your range of motion will be all wonked up. If you can't go all the way down, that's okay, start with what you can do and go from there. Again, core strength is also critical - don't let your belly sag because that extra gravitation pull will mess you up. Remember - a few with good form is better than a bunch with poor form. I'm proud to say that I can do 16 big-girl pushups in a row and that is a very recent development. From my knees, I can go all the way down and touch my nose to the ground!! I never thought I could do that, but now I can. Keep working and focusing on your form and you'll get there!!

This is all great advice! Thanks so much!

I am very strong in my back, but shoulders is also where I can't seem to make many strength gains. The heaviest I have ever used on a bench press is 35 or 40 pounds in some of Cathe's strength workouts. If I'm feeling good, I can do a few 20 pound chest flyes.
I also am good at bis and tris, but shoulders and chest is where I'm weakest.

I tried doing pushups against the stairs in my house, but kept bumping my head on the step above me trying to get deeper in the movement, heehee.

Susan L.G.

Hi Susan,

I had shoulder surgery this winter and still have trouble with push-ups too. I'm now doing "wall push-ups" -- standing push ups leaning against the wall. After I can push out all the reps/sets on Cathe workouts, I plan to move to the kitchen counter. Then to step with risers, and then keep lowering the risers. I read this technique in some book (I think it was the New Rules of Lifting for Women, but I could be wrong on that). The authors didn't recommend "little girl" pushups as they don't work the core as much and you need a strong core to do straight leg pushups. HTH, Deb

Just a question - do you have a pronounced lordosis (swayback or inward curve in your lower back)? I find (and this is just my anecdotal experience) that people who have this end up having a REALLY hard time with pushups. Just a thought.

Carolyn

No. None of my doctors have every mentioned anything like that, and neither has my physical therapist. I think I'm just weak in the shoulders and chest. :)

Push ups?????? I thought this was a thread about bras!

( I really didn't - just wanted to make you laugh)

My daughter and I are working on push-ups too. They are hard to do! Someone suggested the other day that you try to do one on the toes and then 19 on your knees. Then try to increase to two on your toes the next day and 18 on your knees, etc. I am still struggling with that although I feel like I have good upper body strength.

I thought you might be interested in this from the Firm board.

You have to be strong in your chest, shoulders, arms and core to do this exercise well. That’s a lot of different muscle groups! They all have to work together, each one strong enough to handle its own particular task, to pump out the reps.

What’s more, the ability to do this exercise is strongly determined by the lever you are working with. In other words, the taller you are, or the longer your limbs are, the harder it is. Think about the difference between medial fly with your elbows bent and your elbows basically straight. I know I personally can handle 8-10 pounds of weight for a bent-arm fly, but choose more like five pounds for the straight-arm. That’s because the lever is longer — the distance between the shoulder, the working muscle, and the weight.

So many women beat themselves up about doing this exercise on their toes, and I can see why. The push-up is one of the exercise standards for measuring strength. But here’s the cool part: The standard for women is the push-up on her knees! That’s right. Why?

Because of everything I already mentioned, plus the fact that our center of gravity is different from men. Their center is right around the middle. Ours is lower, in the hips. Not only do we tend to carry more excess fat around the hips and thighs than a man, but we also are relatively stronger there, too. Conversely, we are weaker in the upper body.

Every woman is different, of course. If you’re shorter and have worked hard to develop upper body and core strength, you might find push-ups challenging, but no more than any other multi-joint exercise. However, if you’re tall and small-boned, these are going to be T-O-U-G-H to do on your toes, even under the best of circumstances. But that’s OK because you can still get a great workout with them without ever leaving your knees.

The key to doing a good push-up on your knees is to create a straight line from the knees to the shoulders. Don’t let the hips lift up or the chest sink. Lower down as far as you can. Aim for your chest to be just two inches off the floor! If you start to feel really good about these, try lowering down on your toes, and pushing up on your knees. This will help strengthen your core and other stabilizer muscles, if nothing else.

Sorry to butt in, but I'm with you, Susan--my shoulders seem to be the most elusive for me in the strength gain department! I do think it hinders my chest development, because even though my chest could probably handle weights that are heavier than 8's and 10's for flies and bench press, respectively, my shoulders certainly don't appreciate it when I try and increase those weights (as I learned recently when my rotator cuff issue reared its ugly head).

Sigh.

Makes it frustrating to challenge myself in one area if the other area is holding me back :(.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.