Already my least favorite?

>Perhaps I did misread it. And I do hope you are all right.
>Yes, it is sensitive, because she doesn't do a lot of
>breakdowns or cueing or offer a "breakdown chapter" on other
>workouts, which I find VERY frustrating, particularly becuase
>I know I'm not the only one who would like this feature. I do
>always watch the workouts first, at least once. Worst case, I
>just don't do this cardio segment - I'm definitely looking
>forward to the weights segment. And, like I said - there is
>always bootcamp and kickbox. fun!

I see a lot of complaining on this thread. You should be happy Cathe puts out all the work outs she does. Like others have said, watch the work out first then try it.

I agree having a separate breakdown chapter would be really helpful. I am an advanced exerciser, have been working out regularly for 32 years, but reading the blog this morning made me react with mainly trepedation - my first thought being, I won't like this video at all! - dancy or complex steps always make me frustrated, and yes, I know all the methods of learning the routine gradually etc. I am happy to try anything, and I love intensity, but would also use an instructional portion quite heavily. I have already pre-ordered and own more than half of Cathe's DVDs already. But this did make me concerned that there is going to be one DVD out of the set which won't work for me.

Not being able to do complex choreography is not simply an issue of attitude or being advanced versus beginner etc. Not everyone is equipped with the same physique and/or physical talents. Have you ever watched Bodyshaping on TV, and seen the *extremely fit* male bodybuilders try to do basic step?

~ Ann ~
Aim for nothing, and you'll hit it every time!

>>>>>Not being able to do complex choreography is not simply an issue of attitude or being advanced versus beginner etc. Not everyone is equipped with the same physique and/or physical talents. Have you ever watched Bodyshaping on TV, and seen the *extremely fit* male bodybuilders try to do basic step?<<<<

Then, don't do the step workout.

In the CTX series and other series, Cathe has kickboxing. Many people love kickboxing. I have yet to do "KickMax" and "Kick Punch & Crunch." Because I can't stand kickboxing. I don't expect every single exercise in her series to be exactly what I want.

I really don't know why Cathe bothers to write these breakdowns. Invariably there are always SOMEONE bitching and moaning "But, I don't LIKE ______________________."

>Please, please, please respect those of us that don't live for
>step but would like to try to work it in to our regimens.

If you want to work step into your routine, but are worried about not knowing the moves on previous dvd's, then why don't you start with the previous dvd's instead so that you can learn the moves?

Just a thought.

hi there, I have been doing Cathe for about 5 years. I have posted on here a few times and also have been hugely attacked, they are a sensitive bunch. I haven't posted anything in about 3 years and will probably not again. I just wanted to comment on this thread and let you know that I chuckled when I read your post- sense of humour people. Take care, have fun, take the comments with a grain of salt. I thought exercise helped us be more relaxed, chill out people.

I'm sure you're aware now you're in CATHEland and she's a real hero to most of us so any potentially negative criticism can draw fire from her ardent fans. I know YOU'RE feeling singed. I've been where you are. Years ago, I was pummeled by fans of Russell Crowe when I made a less than positive remark in a post at a fansite and I never posted again (though I still say HE's a "brilliant jerk"....). I hope you're not scared away from this forum because the ladies here don't mean to be mean (well, one did but she was a drive-by). I don't think I need to tell you to be more careful next time since everbody else has pretty much made that clear already. Just know, someone here feels for you.

By the way, I did notice the punctuation in your subject line
;-)

I'm sure you're aware now you're in CATHEland and she's a real hero to most of us so any potentially negative criticism can draw fire from her ardent fans. I know YOU'RE feeling singed. I've been where you are. Years ago, I was pummeled by fans of Russell Crowe when I made a less than positive remark in a post at a fansite and I never posted again (though I still say HE's a "brilliant jerk"....). I hope you're not scared away from this forum because the ladies here don't mean to be mean (well, one did but she was a drive-by). I don't think I need to tell you to be more careful next time since everbody else has pretty much made that clear already. Just know, someone here feels for you.

By the way, I did notice the punctuation in your subject line
;-)

Really, if I wanted a fight I could call my mother.
If I wanted to start a public arguement, I would have posted this on the open forum or on the video discussion forum.
I posted this on Ask Cathe - I thought I was directing it toward Cathe, not everyone else. Clearly, my mistake.
In the year plus I have been on this site, I regularly see people get flamed or criticised for airing the slightest criticisms of Cathe, so that is why I expected to be flamed. (and not surprisingly you all delivered). What I find most amusing is that it is apparently perfectly acceptable for you all to aggressively criticize me, attack me and call me names - interesting turn of standards there.
I have posted on this subject before and I've seen others do so as well (see a current post on the video discussions mentioning people literally being brought to tears with frustration - as I am now nearing, thank you - not the point of a workout I don't think), so I just would have hoped that those sorts of comments and suggestions would be taken into consideration.
So, yes, it is frustrating to then learn that rather than do that, there will be less cueing/breakdown. It makes no sense.

Again, I posted here because my comment was directed to Cathe. I guess I misunderstood the Ask Cathe moniker for this forum.
I am DEEPLY sorry for anyone who I so clearly deeply offened (even though it wasn't directed at you). I will withhold all future opinions. A million apologies.

NY25: You need to walk away for a while and cool off before you post anything else on this board. You are not doing yourself any favors with replies like these. In fact, you are simply corraborating everything that everyone is saying about your posting "style". All semblance of civility went out the door when you posted the above comments and you did to everyone else what you were accusing them of doing to you.

One last thing: You may have posted this on the Ask Cathe forum, but you had to have known in advance that others would reply, so don't try to say that "...my comment was direted at Cathe." as if we all are stupid. I know you knew that others would reply because you said you expected "flames". So, if you expected flames, then why did you post on "Ask Cathe"? Just my observation that you did know what you were doing, even though you're trying to say now that you didn't.

This thread should get closed down, IMO.

I do not think there is anything wrong with folks be able to gripe about their pet peeves with regards to workouts. It is tricky when posting on the web when in the absence of body language, criticism can seem to be harsh. Additionally, some folks have a sarcastic sense of humor or way of expressing themselves...its hard to tell with the web so I leave it up to the moderators to censor what is appropriate. There is way harsher reviews out there on other forums and vendor review sites.

NY25, videofitness.com is a good place to air pet peeves about workouts without the risk of flames. There are actually several fun threads there about common workout pet peeves and gripes. If you had started this thread there, you probably would have had quite a few chime in on their fustrations too. I read this simply as you airing a very real fustration you have and venting in your own way without meaning any harm. I would just leave this thread alone for now though. ;-)

>Wow, after reading today's blog post, High Intensity Step is
>already my least favorite among the new series. The step
>sequences are not having any breakdowns whatsoever? You'll
>just call out moves from previous workouts. Gee, thanks -
>sounds like "fun." I can just see myself breaking my ankle as
>I try to figure out the move you describe in segment 3.
>yikes!!
>PLEASE - if you won't break down the moves, can you include a
>breakdown chapter - even if pulled from a previous video or
>something for those of us who don't own your previous step
>workouts? I really shouldn't have to (and won't) spend
>hundreds of dollars on other workouts in order to do this one.
>
>No breakdowns anywhere on the CD only increases the risk of
>injury to your users who may not be as familiar with those
>moves. I know you don't intend for that. And I know this
>request has been made repeatedly by other users in the past.
>That's why I go to you in the first place - superior product.
>Please, please, please respect those of us that don't live for
>step but would like to try to work it in to our regimens.
>As of now, I'm holding out for the kickbox and bootcamp.
>
>(flame away ladies!!)

No flames here. I have no problem with people wanting a break down section, if I don't need it, I won't use it.:) I also have to say that I respect the fact that you brought your concerns to Cathe directly instead of doing like some (one person in particular pops into my mind) and come to the Cathe board and kiss up, then go to another board and complain about everything under the moon that Cathe does.

Could the tone of your post been a bit nicer, I guess but as some have already said, Cathe is a big girl if she feels your tone is harsh, I'm sure she will not have a problem letting you know. :)

Take care and watch those ankles as you step. :)

DeeDee

Can I make a suggestion to the original poster?

I am a huge Cathe fan. I have almost all her workouts and Slow and Heavy is on the way.

I understand how you feel. As far as this new set goes, I'm not pre-ordering yet until I can see the clips. I realize this is an advanced set and the choreography may be a bit challenging so I am just going to see what other Cathe fans think and how they are modifying.

I know these workouts will be there when I need them. I'm still working on mastering the new set and some of her other step workouts so I have time.

I have low impact modifications for most moves that I can't do. Once I see the clips, read the reviews, I'll better be able to figure out if I can modify them.

Also, I appreciate that Cathe doesn't do a lot of TIFTing(Take it from the top). Once you do master the workout,it can get boring.

I do wish that Cathe would have a low impact modifier, but usually, all you have to do is take out the jumps or stay with the previous move.

I have a feeling I'll end up purchasing these workouts, but this way, I wont' have any doubts as to impact and modifications.

:"just a suggestion,take it or leave it." Cathe - P/S series

I am sorry to see hurt feelings on this post.

I consider myself a beginner to intermediate with Cathe workouts. I always watch her workouts first, and it takes time but I get there.

It is important to keep a positive attitude, and an open mind.

For anyone who struggles at first - we will get there!

"Life is short so be the best you can be every day of your life!" :)

"Running feels great for my soul!" :)

:) CHEETAH :)

>I'm pretty sure that one of the new online, downloadable
>projects that SNM indicated was to be coming out later this
>year was some kind of tutorial. If I'm making that up,
>someone, please correct me:) I don't know if it will cost
>anything, but even if it does, I don't expect that it will
>cost as much as a regular DVD, some maybe this will be a
>reasonable compromise for those who would appreciate some
>additional instruction on tricky moves in a new video.

Mattea,
I think you are right about this -- at least I hope so! I'm one of the ones who has two left when it comes to step and usually avoid those workouts, so I'm sure I would benefit greatly from a tutorial. I liked NY25's suggestion to add a separate chapter to the DVDs, but in thinking about it some more, it seems that online tutorials (perhaps along the lines of turnstep.com) would probably be a more cost-effective option. It'd be a win-win. The advanced steppers won't get bogged down with extra cuing, the newcomers have a place to go to learn the moves (without having to own specific DVDs where tutorials might be included), and it doesn't take up any critical space on the DVDs. If these tutorials do become available online, it would be *really* great if the camera - or graphics - could be set up so that it's as if we are BEHIND Cathe (or whoever is demonstrating).

That being said, I preordered the 4-day split knowing that the step workouts may or may not work for me. I'm keeping an open mind, but even I wind up just using the weights, boot camp, and kickbox workouts, I figured it would still be worth it.

~Cathy http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/emoticons7/4.gif

"Out on the roads there is fitness and self-discovery and the persons we were destined to be." -George Sheehan

During presale updates, I tend to prejudge workouts.

Oddly, the ones I thought I'd like the least were usually the ones I liked the most.

I do understand your concerns because I've had the same concerns in the past.

Now I just try to wait to actually view and do the workouts before judging them.

I hope this comes across as polite because I am not flaming you at all!

Cathe's videos, as has been noted already, are for experienced and advanced exercisers. I would rather learn a move from watching and repeating the sequence myself rather than listen to an instructor go through a tedious breakdown every time. Boring!

No one else puts out the kind of quality workouts that Cathe does - actually, no one even comes close. That's probably why I (and a lot of other posters) get defensive when she is criticized. The hard work and effort is evident in every workout she creates.

That said, I have to admit that your concern is far more legit than the person who cried and complained about the use of the term 'bombdivers'. Now THAT was petty!!!

Joyce

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.